Turned another handle today out of Stainless Steel

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
AKASL

Turned another handle today out of Stainless Steel

Post by AKASL »

I had some time to work on a small project today. This started out as a .500" diameter length of 303 Stainless Steel bar stock. The overall length is 4" even. Being made from stainless the handle turned out nice and heavy.

I decided to try my 5th DE shave with this handle attached to my EJ DE89 to see how I would like it.......... and I LOVE IT.

I took great pains to make certain my beard was prepped and softened so that my shave would not turn into a self mutilation again.

The first thing I did was install the head on the handle without a blade loaded. Next I closed my eyes and started practicing my shave technique, hold the razor at 30*, bring the razor to the face, and let the razor descend down my cheek by just letting the weight of the razor slide over my beard. What I discovered actually surprised me............. even with an empty razor I was pressing the razor into my face applying far too much pressure to the razor.

OK now it was time to load a blade and see if I couldn't get thru a shave without cutting myself up to look like a tomato.

A hot, wet, towel was held to my face for a minute, then I made a lather and spread it out letting it sit there for several minutes. Another hot towel and I wiped all the lather off and applied olive oil as a pre-shave oil. Nivea Sensitive Skin shave gel was applied over the oil and I was ready.

I hoisted this telephone pole of a razor and just let the razor fall over my beard, no pressure, no hurry just pure shave. I had to do several strokes over the same area because I had 5 days worth of white wire to mow down.

The razor performed quite well and the time spent on the blade less shaving worked wonders ............ I didn't nick myself once! No weepers, no irritation and no razor burn! I think I've finally mastered this manly shaving technique! My wife even enjoyed rubbing her hands on my face and saying "That's Smooooooooth!" :wink:

Here's a tip for all of us Noobies out there ........ Try practicing with a blade less razor with your eyes closed and I'm will to bet you will improve your shave performance.

Take Care Folks
AKASL

LIVE FREE OR DIE
churchilllafemme

Re: Turned another handle today out of Stainless Steel

Post by churchilllafemme »

That's a very attractive handle. What, roughly, is the diameter in mm?
_______
John
beartrap

Post by beartrap »

It looks great! Is it slippery when wet or you hold it on the knurling?
Steve
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Im interested to know about grip character too. Looks very nice

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

churchilllafemme wrote:That's a very attractive handle. What, roughly, is the diameter in mm?
John, my digital caliber tells me .500"=12.71mm hope that helps.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
btafan

Post by btafan »

Glad you're getting the hang of it quicker than I did. I'm just now starting to see how amazing wetshaving really is. And your handles--wow! I know plenty of people (myself included) who would love to buy some of those that you're made.
-Andy
beartrap

Post by beartrap »

btafan wrote:Glad you're getting the hang of it quicker than I did. I'm just now starting to see how amazing wetshaving really is. And your handles--wow! I know plenty of people (myself included) who would love to buy some of those that you're made.
:yesnod:
Steve
Clinto

Post by Clinto »

Yea I agree, you should consider selling some handles. I have a custom UFO that's perfectly smooth and I like it more than I thought I would. I like the one in your picture because while there's still some knurling on it, it's pretty smooth.
changabang

Post by changabang »

That's a beautiful effort, but without knurling, I'd be "ascared" to put a blade in the razor. That's the reason I rarely use my Pils.
James Nicks
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I am always impressed with the cottage industry efforts on this forum. Gents making their own soap, their own AS, razor handles, brushes ...... very impressive indeed.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
The_whingnut

Post by The_whingnut »

That is one sharp looking handle. =D>
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

That it is.
Regards,
Squire