30 Years since safety razor

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
jd1952

30 Years since safety razor

Post by jd1952 »

I now use a Gillette Mach 3. I have used a safety razor before, but the last time was 30 years ago. Am I a beginner?
I have also recently started shaving my head.
I am happy with the shave of the Mach 3 (both face and head), but I am interested in a safety razor.
I think I like the ones that open to remove the blade, I think it's called a butterfly top, over the ones that come apart.
I also don't know if I need an adjustable.
I want a well made quality razor, but don't think I'll get the top of the line just yet. I may hate it and go back to the Mach 3.
I would appreciate any recommendations.
ShadowsDad

Re: 30 Years since safety razor

Post by ShadowsDad »

When I was on a forum that has a huge membership and lots of us old farts would weigh in on how rapidly we took to disposable blade shaving it contrasted sharply with younger folks who only had used cart's.

I think you'll take to it like a duck to water if you've previously used a safety razor. The hardest thing is to use no pressure. It's counterintuitive, but no pressure will actually yield a better shave with DE or single edge (SE) razors.

I think vintage Gillette Slims and super adjustables are still available relatively inexpensively on Ebay. But it's been awhile since I've shopped there.

Prices for vintage fixed head Gillettes won't break the bank even if you need to try half a dozen before finding something you like. You can sell the cast-offs anyway and get your $ back.

Don't forget SE razors. They give one heck of a shave. Some of us think they're better than most DE razors.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

+1 ....

Oh -- and btw, welcome to SMF.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hey jd, welcome aboard. I don't think anyone actually needs an adjustable razor but if you're like the rest of us you will want to try one. They're a lot of good new ones on the market (I like the Futur) and an abundance of vintage ones for relatively cheap prices.
Regards,
Squire
jtpca

Post by jtpca »

Hi JD - I would echo Squires comments - the adjustables I use are set to a point of satisfaction and never adjusted again. By finding a fixed head that works for you, you will accomplish the same.
Jason

There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know. - Truman
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Like riding a bike...

Enjoy it...
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

jtpca wrote:Hi JD - I would echo Squires comments - the adjustables I use are set to a point of satisfaction and never adjusted again. By finding a fixed head that works for you, you will accomplish the same.
+2.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

Welcome to SMF!
Cheers,

Craig
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

Get a pre-war Gillette Tech for your first DE razor after a long absence.

It cuts the beard pretty efficiently and doesn't bite. It's easy to use and maintain. I prefer the fat-handled version. Pre-war versions have triangular cut-outs in the baseplate; later versions have capsule-shaped cut-outs. The later versions are also fine quality razors, but they are very mild.

Good luck, and have fun.
"If we had steak, we could have steak and eggs, if we had some eggs."
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'd suggest that during your cruising around and looking for a good razor, if you happen onto a Schick Krona DE razor at a reasonable price, you might consider getting one. The others listed above would be my recommendation also. For a few decades, the Krona served me well, before it finally wore out.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Welcome to SMF, jdl1952!

I, too, used a double-edge razor years ago, but at that time it was just to get the whiskers off with little thought to technique or how well it could actually be done. Picking up a DE razor again the learning to use it skillfully took more time. I think you will become comfortable with it pretty quickly, but your technique is capable or developing gradually for a long time.

- Murray