You lot are all despicable….

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
1afc

You lot are all despicable….

Post by 1afc »

I decided to re- enter the world of wet shaving because my electric was roughing up my skin too much. I also decided I didn’t want another mortgage to afford the latest cartridge fad so I decided I’d go back to DE.

I ended up at this and another prominent forum and started lurking.

I thought you guys were all trying to help others but I can see now that you are all part of this capitalist plot that some call SAD. I’m the sad one for taking your advice.

The initial purchased were
EJ DE89, Astra SP and Proraso and an Omega boar.

I spent the next three or so years trying to better that deal. What a joke!

I tried a super slim and a tech and a schick Krona and lastly a Progress. Humph.

I then tried (read list of 20 or so) different blades.

I also tried Cella, Vitos, 3AP, TOBS, GFT and a C&E Nomad.

I’m an engineer and the problem with my personality, that you should have all known about, was that we sometimes have a theory that if something is good you can make it better by making it more complicated.

So where am I now?

Well the Progress is indeed a great razor that I use most of the time. However, when I get a bit of rash I go back to the DE89. It’s a bit milder than the Progress and it has been producing great shaves. Yes I know the Progress is adjustable and can be made mild but I think it’s the way the blade is suspended that still makes it more aggressive. For me the others were just not worth even experimenting with.

Blades! Don’t talk to me about blades! Yes there are better blades that last a bit longer. The Med Preps are really good as are the Bolzano and the Gillette Silver Blue. However, those darn Astra SPs are just so smooth and cost next to nothing, Even then they’re not far behind the others. Still best value for money.

But I’ve thrown away those stupid Feathers that cut me up in one shave and then don’t last for another, and a number of the XXXX Max Platinum Sooper Doopers that had one word missing in the label and were not the blades I thought I was buying.

Well you guys will also know that one can throw a blanket over the Proraso/Cella/Vitos/3AP lot. They all work very well and I buy them now in 1kg lots so are as cheap as.

When I was in London I visited TOBS and GFT and bought some soaps there. The TOBS Sandalwood is very good and produced some very close shaves. So much so that I started experimenting with the croaps and got better shaves from them with the correct amount of water. The GFT Limes is so so and the C&E Nomad is so so …bad that I diced it.

To round things off, I have Omega and Semogue boars that I like to use with the croaps and a Semogue badger for the TOBS and GFT.

As for ASBs, Best so far is La Toja but it looks like Davidoff Silver Shadow is also nice. Just started with Sir Irisch Moos. Works well but not sure about the scent.

Now I’m getting to an age and philosophy that I want to simplify my life.

If someone said to me you can only have the DE89, Astra SP, Omega boar and La Toja then I wouldn’t put up much of a struggle.

But here’s the catch! I had to go through all this other stuff to find out that what I started with was more than good enough.
So it’s ALL YOUR FAULT.
[-X [-X [-X [-X [-X
Alan

I went to the avatar shop but they'd sold out!!
dosco

Re: You lot are all despicable….

Post by dosco »

Excellent post, lol.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Guilty as charged, your honor ...... I don't think I saw any mention of The Fat ..... what's up with that????? :D
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
1afc

Post by 1afc »

Hi Wendell I should have known you'd have something to say about the FAT.

I just spent time telling one and all that I didn't want to complicate my life.

Maybe somewhere own the track I'll get a battery powered brush (hey how come no one's invented one of those yet) so I can get a good lather quickly.

Cheers All
Alan

ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

So then if I understand your post... we've been fiendishly successful!

Yeah, one can really save $ by switching to blade shaving! :lol:

Well, at least you're having fun... you are enjoying it (and the various ADs) aren't you?
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
1afc

Post by 1afc »

Yes Brian Fiendishly successful.

I'm trying to keep it so that I will be able to use all the products before I'm 104.

I'd say at the moment that I would probably use up all the "consumables" within say 12 months, which is not to say that I'm 103 at present.

I am impressed with some guys that have 1000+ blades. Definitely preparing for the afterlife.

I was also trying to say that judicious evaluation of comments here does indeed provide a good education, not only on product but also technique.

Then there are collectors and good luck to them.

I also think there are lots of good current product that, should an old favorite disappear off the shelves, it is not the end of the world.

Wendell If you read this I'll tell you what I'll do with the MWF. On the basis of maintaining inventory levels, if you would like to PIF me some MWF I'll PIF you some 3AP or Vitos.
What a deal!!

Cheers All.
Alan

brothers

Post by brothers »

Alan, I have no idea what you're talking about? :D

By the way, you're so far out in the deep water that one of these days you'll be like someone (?) I know, wanting to shave but can't make up his mind which one to use. Which one what, you say? Which one of everything! It's madness! :x
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Alan, I hear what you're saying.

I can't say that what I have ended up using is anything like what I started out with, however. If I knew starting out what I know after spending gobs of money on the enhanced traditional wetshave advocated on these forums, I could have set myself up nicely for many times less. The last two or three years I have been building up a lifetime supply (and then some) of favored blades and shaving soap. I have a whole heard of brushes that I no longer use and quite a collection of classic razors, many of which I have never even gotten around to trying out.

Interestingly, I find the Merkur Progress at minimum setting to be milder than my Edwin Jagger razors, while still being at least as effective. So far, it's the razor that works the best for me. I need to try out my Gillette adjustables next.

- Murray
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Alan, just speaking for and looking at myself, I remind myself of the gent who went through the great depression and doesn't trust the banks, so he stuffs his cash in his mattress. That's the way I am with shave gear near as I figure. I never want to go back to the way I was shaving... ever. I know that if I have what I need on hand It's like $ in the mattress.

I found blade shaving in reaction to cartridge prices and yes, to save $, and it has turned into something more.
Brian

Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

thanks for the great thread

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Well, look at it this way, if we hadn't bought the shaving stuff we might have wasted the money.
Regards,
Squire
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I feel better for having read that.^
Ron
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

A very familiar story indeed.
_______
John
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

1afc wrote:. . . So it’s ALL YOUR FAULT.
[-X [-X [-X [-X [-X
And you loved every minute of it.

I tell my wife I could have worse habits, like the one I had when I met her, ahem! And that this is quite innocuous compared to what I could be doing. It's the sort of thing civilized men do in a wealthy Society to keep from seeking other exciting pleasures in life that would bring family and therefore civilization to an end. So there, you're doing your part just by setting an example no matter what you're station in life.

Chris
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Yes!....most assuredly !....'doing his part'....quite so!...well said....so, BTW, how are you liking that BK4?....ummmm....
Regards,
Gordon
1afc

Post by 1afc »

See... See .... See what I mean!

Now you are all using philosophy to justify the things you are doing!

Next it will be environmental considerations and after that somehow if we keep doing this it will also get the US government out of the c&@p ..(but that could take a few tons of MWF Wendell)..... and I don't even live there.

You guys still don't understand or care do you!

Don't any of you have other ADs that you have to control?

No watches or cameras or other stuff? ?

Come on let's hear the whole story.

Instead of SWMBO who has other ADs so it becomes SWMBDeceived?

Be honest now. We're all gentlemen and won't tell.
Alan

brothers

Post by brothers »

Mine is so utterly bored with shaving stuff that it doesn't matter what I'm doing, if it's remotely related, she doesn't want to hear about it. However, now that I'm on the verge of making my own soap, she's going to help!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

bernards66 wrote:Yes!....most assuredly !....'doing his part'....quite so!...well said....so, BTW, how are you liking that BK4?....ummmm....
Regards,
Gordon
Loving it!
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

You're caught in the never ending loop my dear fellow. :lol: :wink:
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

1afc wrote:See... See .... See what I mean!

Now you are all using philosophy to justify the things you are doing!

Next it will be environmental considerations and after that somehow if we keep doing this it will also get the US government out of the c&@p ..(but that could take a few tons of MWF Wendell)..... and I don't even live there.

You guys still don't understand or care do you!

Don't any of you have other ADs that you have to control?

No watches or cameras or other stuff? ?

Come on let's hear the whole story.
Instead of SWMBO who has other ADs so it becomes SWMBDeceived?

Be honest now. We're all gentlemen and won't tell.
Well, sure we do, and not meaning to be a wise guy, that's generally kept to the Gentlemans Parlor. Wander on down and see. We're a group with diverse interests.
Brian