T&H North America Changes

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
gsgo

T&H North America Changes

Post by gsgo »

Just got a message from T&H North America that they are no longer the distributer for T&H and have changed to Silvertip Shaving. They are selling off remaining inventory of T&H at http://www.silvertipshave.com

I don't see any big move or pricing or additional lines but I am sure this will follow.
Good shaving,

Gary
brothers

Re: T&H North America Changes

Post by brothers »

I guess it begs the question--- who will become the NA distributor, or will there be none? Maybe this will affect the availability of the products.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
levente

Post by levente »

Gary,

The website says that T&H North America is under new ownership/distribution. The "Contact Us" tab takes you to a list of stores. The U.S. store listed is located at the Mirage Hotel in Las Vegas. This may or may not be the new distributor, but at least it appears that there is one.

Regards,
Basil
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Basil, I think that is the listing of stores, the one in Chicago changed several months ago and naturally is no longer listed. I suspect either a new distributor will be found for North America or they will simply handle it directly from the UK.

Pretty safe to assume there shouldn't be to much to worry about if you are a committed T&H user.

Unless….cringe….they start messing with reformulations. :wink:
Good shaving,

Gary
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

gsgo wrote:Basil, I think that is the listing of stores, the one in Chicago changed several months ago and naturally is no longer listed. I suspect either a new distributor will be found for North America or they will simply handle it directly from the UK.

Pretty safe to assume there shouldn't be to much to worry about if you are a committed T&H user.

Unless….cringe….they start messing with reformulations. :wink:
I was at the newly-named Chicago store a few months ago, and T&H supplies were comfortably in stock.
Regards,
Mike
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Well, I'm sorry to hear this. I thought that the most recent owner of T&H NA did a bang-up job...greatly aided by Britteny, needless to say. I've credited them with being a major factor in why it seemed that the T&H creams I got were always in excellent condition....something that was not always the case with some of their competitors. I hope that this new...er....arrangement functions as well. Who knows? When I first started to get heavily into all this stuff in the '90s T&H products were about the hardest of all to get. Even Cambridge Chemists in NYC didn't stock them....no where in the City seemed to. Even Penhaligon's could be gotten at at least one store ( first at Bergdorf Goodman Men and then at Saks ). I got my first T&H products by calling the shop in London direct and ordering some stuff blind....it seemed the only way. With my order they sent along their 'catalogue', which consisted of just simple stiff paper with their products listed inside, that was it.
Regards,
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I like that Gordon, seems almost personal in a quaint sort of way.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Squire, Well, it was indeed "quite personal". The gent on the other end of the line in London seemed to have a faint Indian accent and was very helpful. I had no real idea of how any of their colognes smelled and the only shave creams they seemed to offer at that point were Almond and Rose. There were some most interesting sounding hair dressings that they seem no longer to offer, like 'Athenian Water' ( although perhaps some of them can still be gotten in person at their shop...I don't know ). As I remember, the shipping costs weren't too bad at that point but, of course, I also had to pay for the overseas phone call at the peak hours rate. There was the one lone T&H shop in Chicago started by John Merchant and I did know about it but for some reason I chose to call London instead. To find out about and actually get any of these old school English lines before the internet was almost like detective work unless one happened to live in NYC or a couple of other places.
Regards,
Gordon
brothers

Post by brothers »

Gordon, I recall, when our kids were small, running advertisements in monthly magazines was about the only means of selling stuff outside my home town, other than running ads in the local newspaper. I once sold a classic car by running ads in newspapers from large cities within about 500 miles from home. Buying small stuff was pretty much tracking down possible establishments around the country, calling them and asking if they sell the product, and making sure to ask, after they said no, was to ask them if they happened to know someone who did sell it. When a source was finally located, in those days, the costs for the products and shipping were peanuts.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444