trying to convert...

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
TommyDawg

trying to convert...

Post by TommyDawg »

Hi all. I may have two folks converting to wet shaving...
First is interesting.... My Mother in law!! She wants to dump her current lady-whatever shaver and go with DE. Trust me guys, I love talking about shaving and will share with anyone, but this is just not one I will wish on anyone. And I don't know the conversion method for taking my advice on faces and transferring it to 'pits and legs. I just shuddered again. But anyway, I sent her my Weishi and a good selection of blades. believe I have her on the correct path, but may recommend her to B&B forum, as I tend to like my privacy here with you gents! hahahaa.

Right after giving away my weishi, my Dad called and said he is interested in a DE. Cool! We talked and emailed extensively. He bought a feather type DE knock off for his first razor, and I also sent him some polsilvers, IP's and Rapiras. I also sent several Mantic videos. So here's my dad, at 87, going BACK to DE. His first few reviews were really quite astute. He recalled his older razors back in the day being heavier, but thought the balance was pretty good on the new one, and so on. At first he was using the blade that came with it (non-descript something or other). Then when he first used the Rapira, he said it was so smooth he checked to see if he had actually loaded a blade!! About a week after starting, he says he wants to now get a brush and shave cup/ bowl. Let the RAD, SCAD, etc begin! In all seriousness, we all have to deal with the reality of aging parents... Recognition of such little precious time left and so on. We are about 1100 miles apart, so visits are scarce. But we talk all the time. So to think that we have another common interest is pretty special. I already passed it down to my son, now passing it back up the line. I doubt he will be a member here on the forum, but I have been surprised before at what he undertakes. We shall see :)..
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: trying to convert...

Post by Squire »

Great story Tommy, keep those communication lines open.
Regards,
Squire
marine-mp

Post by marine-mp »

Tommydawg...you are the man!!!!! Your Dad could prolly teach us all a bit about DE shaving. Good-on-yah!!!! Christmas and birthdays should be a cinch, now that you know what they like. Mike
Semper-fi and This We'll Defend
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Thanks for the story. I really enjoy reading things like that!
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

That's great, Tom!
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Yeah, really a great story. My dad remained an electric shaver guy til the end and my two sons mostly don't shave at all, and on rare occasions when they do it's slap dash with a Bic. I tried, even lost a nice T&H/Vulfix 2234 in the process so it seems that you are doing extremely well at passing what you've learned along. Oh, and....a....good luck with your mother-in-law ( if she butchers herself it will all be your fault you know....chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Love these stories. My Dad used an injector for decades, but as he aged, developed genetic tremors in his hands and arms, which forced him to go to an electric shaver. I suppose he could have taught Mum to shave him with the Schick, but my guess is that he didn't want to loose any more independence as she was primary care giver before he passed away. Still think of him teaching me with a Schick adjustable injector --- he thought I was going all fancy with the adjustable model as he was just fine with a non-adjustable, thank-you-very-much, son. :D
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

Tommy, re the MIL, you've done all you can, and nobody will blame you for distancing yourself from that situation. :D :D :D

Your dad, OTOH, is where you have struck gold, apparently. I know you both will benefit from having this common interest, upon which a stronger overall relationship can be forged. Good for you!
Last edited by brothers on Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

My son and Gordon's seem to be on a similar path but we have other stuff to bond over.
Regards,
Squire
TommyDawg

Post by TommyDawg »

Gordon, you are spot on that it will be my fault!!! I guess just add it to the list, then. Haha. I forgot to mention that I have my (now) 18 yr old son at least sharing the cream and brush affection. Has been for a couple years now. He hasn't been interested in trying any of my DE's yet, though. It is a pretty special bond for father and son. Enjoyed the similar stories you gents provided.
Tom
TommyDawg

Post by TommyDawg »

Today I had a great idea on what to do for my Dad. Since he is 1100 miles away, getting together to talk shaving is difficult. I enlisted my daughter to be videographer, and did a video of me going through my collection of razors. I had them all polished, and laid out oldest to newest. I picked up each one and told a little bit about each one. Even did credits at the end, and added an acoustic guitar sound track. I am not very talented at such, but it was still very special. He called so excited about it!! I think I'm still smiling about it, too.
Tom
brothers

Post by brothers »

=D>
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
wvbias

Post by wvbias »

Two thumbs up... :)

Terry
The_Metatron

Post by The_Metatron »

My wife was using those Venus cartridge things until I bought her a Merkur 38R (the red one), and got her her own brush and soap of her choice. She has, since the very beginning, liked the results from the Merkur better. I think she's using a Prorasso soap now, the oat one. Although, she likes my Tabac, too.

Not to mention the price of those ridiculous cartridges...
"The secret of steel has always carried with it a mystery. You must learn its riddle. You must learn its discipline. For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts... This you can trust."
brothers

Post by brothers »

Another convert! Yay!
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

That was very thoughtful Tom, it's great how such things can keep up connected over distances.
Regards,
Squire