Face lather with shaving cream

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
brothers

Re: Face lather with shaving cream

Post by brothers »

Ouchmychin wrote: . . . If I use too small a dollop I run out of lather before 3 passes and I like to also polish because my technique always leaves a lot of stubble after three passes.
Same here. Never fails. I'd rather use too much than too little.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I guess I missed that. Who said to use a pea sized amount? I have heard to use an almond sized amount or a snurdle. But it all depends on ones water; harder water requiring more product. With my water I can get by with 1/2 a snurdle, but I still pretty much use a snurdle to make my ultra lather.

But one thing is for sure, too much is far better than too little. More product pretty much cures all lather problems, except the problem of too little water (dry lather).
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

+3 on the better to use more than not enough. Many years ago, I got into the habit of taking the remaining lather after my brush post-blade-buffing pass, farming it from the brush with a little pinch at the knot, and massaging it into my face ----- it is a wonderful feeling of sheer luxury (say that with a Yorkshire accent).

I honestly can't recall where this idea came from --- but it has become a crowning moment of indulgence at the end of every one of my shaves.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
wvbias

Post by wvbias »

Wendell,

Hey, you're just a Renaissance kind of guy.

Terry
brothers

Post by brothers »

A few years back when I started reading SMF Wendell shared his habit of using the lather in the brush after the shave to rub it on his face, and I've been doing it ever since. Thanks Wendell for this tip that has served me well.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Thanks Wendell not so much for the shaving tip but for the link to what a Yorkshire accent is. That was truly hilarious.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hale and Pace. I'll have to check out more of their videos when I've got the time. Very funny stuff!
Gary

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

brothers wrote:A few years back when I started reading SMF Wendell shared his habit of using the lather in the brush after the shave to rub it on his face, and I've been doing it ever since. Thanks Wendell for this tip that has served me well.
I tried it this morning...? I had a great deal of soap on my face, which took a bit of rinsing to remove it.
Bryan
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Im a big fan too......no rinsing though; I just wipe it off with a paper towel (bounty works bets lol)

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Rufus wrote:
brothers wrote:A few years back when I started reading SMF Wendell shared his habit of using the lather in the brush after the shave to rub it on his face, and I've been doing it ever since. Thanks Wendell for this tip that has served me well.
I tried it this morning...? I had a great deal of soap on my face, which took a bit of rinsing to remove it.
I don't find it that much more rinsing to be honest -- but that could be simply due to the fact that I have been doing this so long, it's second nature to me.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

jww wrote:+3 on the better to use more than not enough. Many years ago, I got into the habit of taking the remaining lather after my brush post-blade-buffing pass, farming it from the brush with a little pinch at the knot, and massaging it into my face ----- it is a wonderful feeling of sheer luxury (say that with a Yorkshire accent).

I honestly can't recall where this idea came from --- but it has become a crowning moment of indulgence at the end of every one of my shaves.
Tim/TRBeck was a proponent of this a number of years ago. As I recall he started a thread on the practice.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I tried putting the last lather on my face today and just as previously I found it to be an irritant to my newly shaved skin. I must be using more caustic products than others here. I have to really rinse my face and washcloth with many squeezings to remove all traces of soap between each face rinse. I could do this with shaving oil safely but I wouldn't get any pampering impression, and why bother when shaving balms do the same thing if they are greasy.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
brothers

Post by brothers »

I've been playing around with my new Frank Shaving Synthetic brush (24 x 54) that arrived today. It didn't work with Trumper soap, too sudsy, but maybe if I spent some time getting used to the water/soap/brush interaction, it might find a lather in the Trumper Lime. I tried it with my Brothers' Cedarwood soap, and the lather was abundantl, rich, and tight. On the subject of face lathering, I took some XPEC Unscented cream and rubbed it on my face with my fingers. Then I splashed water from the tap on my face. Took the Frank Synthetic and held it under the tap, then shook it hard 3 times and built the lather directly on my face. That brush is the softest ever. Not floppy soft, just soft. Added water two or three times by holding the brush under a barely running tap stream. Within a couple of minutes working the synthetic on the face, I had a billowing avalanche of thick rich lather. This was not a shave, but if it had been, there was plenty of lather in the brush for another couple of passes. The Frank synthetic brush is a serious shaving tool, not a gimmick or a weak sister. I want to try this face lathering with a couple of other creams I have on hand, good creams, but by no stretch of imagination, the top top top shelf cream the XPEC is. I want to learn how wide this brush's capabilities are, with cream and soap as well. This brush might bring face lathering with shaving cream to a whole new level for me.

[Edit:] I just shaved by face lathering L'Occitane Cade Shaving Cream with the Franks Synthetic. Wonderful lather, smells soooo good, and the synthetic brush provided enough lather and held it for four passes, with a bit left over to squeeze out afterward.
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I'm still working on the Yorkshire stuff.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Tonight's shave was the second time lately that I've used the Frank Shaving brush to face lather. This time it was L'Occitane Cade Shaving Cream. I didn't see as much lather as I did three days ago with the home made soap. But I have no complaints!
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

A little over a month ago since I face-lathered. Decided to use the Franks Shaving Synthetic with Coates Rose cream. Outstanding brush/cream matchup, and the face lathering added a bit of adventure. Nice.
Gary

Mr. Pinchy

Post by Mr. Pinchy »

Interesting to see a variety of methods. I tend to take a nickel sized dollop of cream and place half on one wrist, half on the other. I'll then have a cup of warm water on the side. I use my wrists to work the lather into each cheek. Fingers are used for the chin/moustache area, and palms for neck. Hydration is performed via the warm cup of water. This seems to be most effective for me. any other variance of finger/palm/wrist usage tends to yield substandard results.

YMMV.
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Glen, Coates Rose is my favorite cream. I like the soft rose scent it leaves on my skin post shave. And it performs very well for me. As I have noted I like to lather with quite a lot of cream. I just squeeze it on the tips of my left index and middle fingers and smear a bit in each cheek and each side of my neck. Then I use both hands to rub it into my stubble. Then work up a lather with a wet brush. Mostly use badgers and the best of mine is an old Simpson 2 band Duke in best badger. It is very firmly packed with stiffer bristles than my other brushes.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
brothers

Post by brothers »

Tonight's face lather was the Edwin Jagger Silver Tip Synthetic XL brush and Wars shaving cream. No problems. The brush created a generous supply of lather and held it patiently from pass to pass (3) with some left over at the end.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Tonight's face lathering was Irisch Moos shaving cream and the HIS 1794 Synthetic. Take the dry brush, squeeze out an appropriate amount of cream, pass the tips of the brush where the cream is resting under the hot water tap for about 1/2 a second and start building the lather on the face. I keep adding water every few seconds in the same way until that magic little burst of lather happens. It makes and holds enough great lather for 3 passes and some left over.
Gary