Shaving bowls...

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Martin

Shaving bowls...

Post by Martin »

Hello, this may seem like a daft question but does a shaving bowl need to be a particular size/shape?. Does it need to be a "high sided" bowl/mug to contain the lather or can a shallow/wide bowl be used to?.

Cheers,

Martin.
JRTASTER

Re: Shaving bowls...

Post by JRTASTER »

Funny you asked the question, Martin. I was just thinking after this morning's shave how much more I like a slightly taller
bowl/mug, to help contain the lather.
I face lather and like to load the soap puck generously onto my brush. A taller bowl helps lather from oozing over.
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
Martin

Post by Martin »

Cape Cod, ive been there(I think) is that near Boston?
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Uhuh. The bendy and like peninsula of land that to many seems like heaven on earth.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Yes, Martin, we are 3-4 hours from Boston and with towns like Falmouth and Plymouth and Wellfleet and
Truro you might well feel very much in familiar surroundings.
And, yes, Wendell, many would call it heaven but NOT members of the Republican Party, lol.
Undeniably good fishing, though not nearly so good as even 20 years ago. And the species of fish
which gave the Cape its name is now in scarce supply.
We have owned our home here for nearly 20 years bur have retired here for only the last 18 months!
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Martin -

I prefer a bowl of relatively small diameter and tall sides. This helps to contain the lather and to keep it in a small area to work it. It also helps to prevent overflow.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

I don't use a bowl that has tall sides. Don't like hitting the brush on the sides. That's how I damaged the logo on the first nice English brush, given to me as a gift. Really hacked me off. Seems like the most common culprits are cups and mugs. Just getting away from cups and mugs and going to an actual bowl is a huge step in the right direction. Walmart sells a Corian Berry Bowl (not as deep as a cereal bowl) that works very well.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
TommyDawg

Post by TommyDawg »

I prefer a bowl/ mug that is nice and round and open, such as those oversized coffee/ cappucino mugs. I found a nice size ceramic bowl at target. It was a nice thick, dense pottery, wide opening, and probably the size of a softball cut exactly in half. Works for me perfectly.
Tom
brothers

Post by brothers »

My ideal bowl actually has a lather ring around the top almost identical to the Dirty Bird scuttle. It's just a coincidence, but the bowl was probably an ashtray for cigars when it started out.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Martin it only has to be large enough to work and size is only limited by what you can hold.
Regards,
Squire
Zemlya

Post by Zemlya »

I use a bowl with "skirts." I find this helps in not having any soap spill over the side when lathering in the bowl.