Finally A Son Asks To Use My Gear

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
jww
Woolly Bully

Finally A Son Asks To Use My Gear

Post by jww »

As some of you know, neither of my two sons have been interested in my love of wet shaving ..... that is until last Saturday morning.

I was on my way out to Montreal for the day (crappy weather, but that's another story) and my middle son, who moves in with his family during March Madness (they don't have cable). He had forgotten his shaving gear, and wanted to borrow some of mine. I put him onto a Bic Sensitive and my C&E super badger brush. He chose DR Harris Lavender soap, and my Moss Scuttle ....... although he admitted the scuttle seemed too complex for him to manage (he's a shower shaver by habit ---- ugh!).

Anyway -- I couldn't give him any one-on-one instruction, but I did give him some very high level pointers and let him go. He quite liked the brush and soap experience. He's coming from either canned off-the-shelf or multi-level marketing product. He did mention that he thought the soap was quite drippy and runny which tells me he needs some practice making lather -- nothing that a bit of patience and experience won't fix. He's not ready for a DE razor, but I expect that will pass eventually as well.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
wvbias

Re: Finally A Son Asks To Use My Gear

Post by wvbias »

If he's interested and sticks with it
he will do just fine...and that includes
using a DE.

So I assume the Bic Sensitive is your
disposable of choice??

Terry
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

wvbias wrote:...
So I assume the Bic Sensitive is your
disposable of choice??
Uhuh.
Wendell

brothers

Post by brothers »

So when the young man heads home, I presume he'll have his very own puck of MWF and a brush to use with the soap? :)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
TommyDawg

Post by TommyDawg »

That's a great feeling, Wendell. My son is 18 and has been working a brush and nice creams for a while now. He hasn't tried a DE yet, but I may see if he is now interested. Its great to share a good hobby with a child.
Tom
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

brothers wrote:So when the young man heads home, I presume he'll have his very own puck of MWF and a brush to use with the soap? :)
He can buy his own gear. :wink:
Wendell

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

That's the spirit Wendell, my kid figures he is entitled to help himself to my stuff.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Wendell, Well, maybe that's a start...we'll see. As I've mentioned before I sent my older son off to university with a new pot of T&H Lavender and a T&H/Vulfix brush but that was only a hope. He managed to lose the brush at some point and today both my sons, when they shave at all...which is rarely...seem to use Bic disposibles and these days God knows what they use for lather since I no longer live there and they can't pilfer stuff I left lying around. Maybe you'll have better luck with your off-spring.
Regards,
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I've noticed they will shave if the right girl says they might look better.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Squire wrote:I've noticed they will shave if the right girl says they might look better.
Yup.
Wendell

M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

My son is nearly twenty. Before he ever needed to shave I bought him a #20 Plisson HMW in plexi because they were ceasing to be made. He still has yet to use the Plisson, but he did appropriate my Chubby 3. I could not interest him in hard soap (heavy sigh), he seems to favor Truefit creams. Sadly, as an act of youthful rebelion, he chose a Mach something razor, but I made him buy his own cartridges. That said, when my son came home from University for his recent winter break, I took him to Colonial Drug and let P.J. walk him through choosing his own DE razor and blades. The miracle isn't that he lathers with a brush, nor that he now shaves with a double edge. The miracle is that he now shaves every day! He is enormusly fond of his whole kit and the shaving ritual. I also think he gets a bit of a rush from being labled an eccentric by the other residents in his dormitory. Patience, some gentle direction, and I nice visit with P.J. or Cathie can really make a difference.

Buzz
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

On a side but related note I noticed my future daughter-in-laws razor in my shower this morning so I may be facing an assault from another front.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Watch out for lacerations in the shower, Squire ......
Wendell

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

That's in the main bath in the hall of this old house. Officially mine is the small bath off the corner bedroom both of which I'm currently lending to a female college student, a friend of the family.

I couldn't move into 'my' room as yet because new carpet was installed and my furry baby is not yet proficient in the use of her puppy pads.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

A time or two I've assembled a boxful of stuff such as brushes, blades, soap, cream, razors, etc., and told my son and son-in-law to take whatever they wanted, before I offer the stuff to the guys on the forum. They know I will be happy to give them (almost!) anything shaving related I might have, if they want it bad enough. My son is a silent member of SMF and has a lot of the good stuff, but is usually too busy with working and family related activities to spend much time shaving. He needs a fast and simple shave. On the other hand, my son-in-law is not an acquisition-motivated guy, he loves the conservative quantity of shaving stuff he has, but doesn't get too caught up in getting more of it, or thinking too much about it. One of his favorite brushes got chewed up by the dog. His wife (my oldest daughter) is the one that tipped me off about SMF 6 years ago.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

jww wrote:
Squire wrote:I've noticed they will shave if the right girl says they might look better.
Yup.
Unfortunately, if some actor in a popular movie or tv show has whiskers, the young men naturally think if they don't shave, they will look a lot like Brad Pitt. This means if the right girl says she likes 'em all scruffy, that's the way it'll be. We're all alike in that respect at one time or another, aren't we!
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

They will also grow a beard if she says so.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Buzz, Your son has moved on from Taylor's to Truefitt creams has he? Anyway, I think it's all a mini-miracle. My older son during his freshman year got a boot out of being thought an eccentric because of his old school shave gear too. But then, to buttress-up Squire's observation, his girl friend let it be known that the scruffy look turned her on and that was that. By the time that he was a senior and his brother was a sophomore the two of them at Xmas break looked like Attila and Alaric hunched down in front of the TV set, hair half way down their backs unkept half beards and all. Sigh...I'm powerless....
Regards,
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

We also serve who only stand and wait Gordon.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Indeed. Like Siddhartha, "I can wait"......
Regards,
Gordon