Squid with an interest in good shaving.

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
The_whingnut

Re: Squid with an interest in good shaving.

Post by The_whingnut »

ThePossum wrote:Welcome to SMF. Couple of things. I agree with Brian about the SE razors. I use them frequently and love the shaves that I get. In addition I also use a couple of injector razors. These are a bit like the disposables in look and shaving angle but provide a great shave and do save you money.

As for the clubman AS (aftershave lotion) I am like you, have to grimace when I use stuff with alcohol. Of course that does not happen much anymore as I have refined my technique and get less irritation to my skin as I shave. What the alcohol does is close the pores in your skin. What I would suggest is to find some Thayer's Non-Alcohol Witch Hazel. It does the same thing and does not sting. You might also try some Clubman Complete, an ASB (after shave balm) to keep your skin in good condition.

Good luck with the shaving learning curve. You will enjoy things and whether you know it or not, if you really get into this you will spend some money.

Forgot to post this link to Useful Videos which are found at the top of the ShaveMyFace University Forum. The vidoes on Mantic59's Youtube channel are particularly helpful.
thepossum,
thanks for the welcome! I'll keep an open mind about the SE and injectors. the clubman is harsh but i got it as a motivational tool. i have been looking for the witch hazel locally but no luck so far (i know i can find it online but i like Brick and Mortars) i haven't found the clubman complete but they sell and nice selection of aftershave balms at the NEX (Navy PX) so i'll poke around a bit to find something.

I have found Mantic59's videos they are very helpful. in fact his videos and website led me here.

as for spending money on this new art.......... thats ok. i figured it was all trial and error to start anyway. i'm currently spending $50 a month on razors. so a little here and there to break free is ok, plus one you get the chance underway to do something "normal" its worth every penny.

i've been looking at a lot of the products threads and feeling out what i may or may not want. for some reason i'm seeing tons of the VDH small kits at every box store and the NEX that and MAGIC brand shave products, i'm finding to shave creams though. i'm heading over to the food co-op later to see about thayers and see what they have on the shelf. maybe i'll get luck.

i will say this a lot of you guys here at this forum have been seriously helpful in fact so help full i've been telling my shipmates (those having issues with cartridge razors) where to find you. Thanks for the help guys!
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

My son says he likes witch hazel but that doesn't stop him from grabbing the Trumpers.
Regards,
Squire
The_whingnut

Post by The_whingnut »

So i got a razor online from Ebay. its a Gillette travel razor circa 60's (from the ad, we will see once it arrives) i'll post a picture of it asap. i did find Thayer's at the local co-op which was awesome, however they didn't have hardly anything for shaving past that. I rewatched the videos from SMF University . did a three pass with a touch up this evening no serious issues, i'm finding irritation while using the brush to re-apply lather. i'm using less pressure on the razor (mach ferd 18thousand) but the brush seems stiff still. I figured it will soften up as i go (or i'll go get another brush soon). the touch up brought out the irritation the most. i'm looking into a shave oil and my first run at face lathering didn't go so well. but live and learn. i think i got a good shave out of it tonight. definitely better than last time.
brothers

Post by brothers »

You've got a PM coming your way.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

The VdH brush will get softer after break in, but that takes time. It's not a top quality brush, but it's OK for learning. Heck, lots of folks stay with that brush and see no need to move on. For the price, and being locally sourced it's advantages. If you hang around us you'll think having 30 shave brushes is the norm, and I'd bet that the vast majority of folks who shave have only a few at most. One simply never hears from them.

Omega boar brushes have good boar knots, but the handles on much of the line are where the $ is saved. But frankly, for $8 if they're on sale you just toss the brush when it wears out in 20 years. The brush costs the same as a replacement knot (todays prices). Italian barber has them and so does Shoebox Shaveshop. Oh, and the latest Omega brushes are pre broken in. Just test lather it and the next time you'll find it to be ready to go.

If you've spent time in the forum reading then you know about boars, badgers, synthetics, and horse brushes. Prices vary widely, and price is no indication of better among the 4 types of fibers. Each is unique and can't be compared to the other. Take your time, you'll figure out in time what you like and what you don't.

If I had known you wouldn't find shave soap I'd have thrown some in with the blades. We need to get you up to speed.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

As Brian said the boar brush will soften up a bit with use but a badger brush is already soft at the tips and doesn't require a break in period.
Regards,
Squire
The_whingnut

Post by The_whingnut »

I'm not finding to many options on soap. mostly willaims and VDH, however my wife and i have been making soaps for about 2 years now and making other personal product for about 10. HMS is next on the list. I spent yesterday at a Reptile show looking for terrium lids and Dubia roaches, but managed to swing by a large flea market that has shea butter at $2.50 per LB. i may start ordering my shea butter by the 20lb online (only way to justify cost of shipping), so i do have some stuff to start making shave cream. I'll just tack on a few extra ounces of the other materials to our next soap oil order and go from there. I have to say you guys have been very helpful. I've only met one other bunch that are this nice about a hobby and thats the ACVW guys at thesamba.com.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

We're a pretty congenial bunch alright but that's to be expected from a group that collectively gets excited about a new shaving cream.
Regards,
Squire
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

If you've been making soaps you will very shortly have access to some of the best shave soaps on the planet; your own.

There is a thread in soaps (maybe more than one) regarding making your own. I've had the pleasure to use some of what folks here are making, and it's really good. From what I saw the formulas for them are in the thread.
Brian

Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Yes, that's the 'Rolling your own' thread.
Regards,
Squire
The_whingnut

Post by The_whingnut »

new razor
new razor
100_4534.JPG (2.04 MiB) Viewed 3785 times
my new Gillette travel razor has arrived!it came with the little pouch and three razors two unopened gillette thins :) and one used one :-B

i gave it a run through on the heated ultrasonic cleaner with vinegar and then another run through with jewelry cleaner to make it shine!
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I'd guess it to be a travel Tech razor. It'll be mild. I'd also strongly suspect the blades to be carbon steel blades. If so, expect nothing from them; they're eye candy only. You may not see it, but the edge has rusted into uselessness years ago. You should find the blades I sent you to be quite good in it.

FWIW, I suggest Tech razors to folks as a beginning razor. Any Gillette handle will fit it, so for home use you can use a larger handle, and for travel/on board ship you can use the travel handle. Since it's a 3 piece razor it can be made more aggressive (with shims) if you want it to be so. I use 2 shims with mine.
Brian

brothers

Post by brothers »

Now you're in the game!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Whingnut, I sent you a PM.

- Murray
The_whingnut

Post by The_whingnut »

well first shave with the DE @ 2300 :cry: it was rough.pre shave oil (EVOO), lather was decent, razor handle was way too small for my meat hooks, neck was already irritated from this mornings disposable shave at work. i used a personna blade in waxed paper i was warned about after the first pass it was out of the razor. felt like i was shaving with a dull rock. i hot rinsed re lathered and tried for a second pass with the unwaxed wrapped personna blade. SO nice! but at this point my neck looked like a shot gun blast and very irritated, i think with the shorter handle i was using too much pressure. nick stick (i forgot how much those things sting!), thayer's, cold rinse and i used my "shave cream" as a shave balm which was very nice. overall i can see somethings to work on.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Whingnut, the Tech is a very mild razor, meaning that it has a very narrow blade gap (gap between the blade and the safety bar). In order to get a decent shave with such a mild razor, you need to get the angle of the blade just right. With the tiny handle of the Travel Tech, that would be very difficult to do, especially if you have large hands.

Usually with a mild razor like the Tech, either it makes the cut or it does nothing. With a more aggressive razor (wider blade gap), there is more risk of scraping if you don't have the right angle. I'm not sure what is happening in your case with the Travel Tech, but that tiny, lightweight handle is making it very difficult to effectively manage the razor.

- Murray
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Yup, that's why I mentioned the longer handles. Not much gets by us old farts. Move slower and you'll progress faster. We have your back. We also don't want to appear to insult or question anyone. You know the drill regarding that. It's not your first cruise.

But as far as shaving with a blade goes, when you think you have little enough pressure reduce it by 50%, then do it again. In a bit you'll realize you still have too much pressure. At this point don't blame the blade, you're still learning. Even a crap blade is good enough to learn with.
Brian

The_whingnut

Post by The_whingnut »

I haven't doubted you guys one bit! I understand what you are saying about the operator not the equipment! i really wanted to give my razor a try, but the first Personna was dull you couldn't cut paper with it. With the handle i knew i was going into a shaky situation to begin with but i had no idea how it would go. the shave for my face went fine the neck shave is where things got rough. i am going to try and hammer out a handle today during lunch. i have the taps and drill bits and some brass laying around so we will see.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

A better handle will make a world of difference.

You still need to be careful of angle and pressure on the neck especially. Just by virtue of how the arm is bent and is positioned near its limits, angle and pressure can be affected if you don't watch for it.

- Murray
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

I love to read these threads... some much info, especially on technique, which I somehow
managed to miss during the 50+ years since I began shaving with my first Gillette DE.
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John