Shave stick - homemade soap - face lather nirvana

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
brothers

Shave stick - homemade soap - face lather nirvana

Post by brothers »

When I re-fragranced my home made soaps a couple of days ago, I decided to make myself a couple of sticks (repurposed Brut deodorant push-up tubes) while I was at it. Last night's shave with the Tobacco scented version was a complete success, I'm happy to say. It was as much a test shave with my new synthetic brushes as it was a test of the stick concept. It's not as hard as a triple milled soap, but it's not exactly cream cheese soft either. It firmed up quite nicely. I have one stick of Cedarwood fragrance and one of Tobacco. The rest is safely back in the ziplock tubs, and the fragrances are still mild, but they smell very good. I've learned one technique for using the synthetics for face lathering. I add tiny increments of hot water dribbling from the tap, but not to the tips. I add water at the base of the knot. The synthetic brush's magic internal highly efficient lathering machine takes the incoming water from below and changes it into thick rich lather that comes flowing out at the tips. As everyone else knows, while face lathering, adding too much water has negative effects on the lather. I try to be very careful to know when the lather's at the "perfect" point, and there's no more water after that.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
flintlock

Re: Shave stick - homemade soap - face lather nirvana

Post by flintlock »

That's Awesome Gary, great to hear.

Anthony