Shower before shaving

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Dixieman

Shower before shaving

Post by Dixieman »

I have been resisting doing this for a long time because I don't like dripping all over the floor and feeling cold after I step out of the hot shower, BUT -- I have been trying this for a week or so with a variety of razors, blades, creams, etc. and there is a noticeable difference. I am now a convert to showering right before the shave as it really does seem to soften the beard. Now if only I could figure out to warm up the lather in my tubs of TOBS Sandalwood Shave Cream.... :?:
jww
Woolly Bully

Re: Shower before shaving

Post by jww »

Dixieman wrote:... Now if only I could figure out to warm up the lather in my tubs of TOBS Sandalwood Shave Cream.... :?:
That's an easy one --- you want a scuttle. Many of us own a Moss, Georgetown or Dirty Bird scuttle. I have a small Moss and it's wonderful. The added SMF lore connected to the Moss is that it was designed by one of our original forum members --- Dr. Chris Moss.

Whatever you decide on, they are all very good at keeping your lather warm during the shave.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

yes. taking a shower before shaving is probably the best all over way to prep ones face. a simple shower is the easiest way to naturally set up your face and beard.

also, in the shower when you shampoo or condition your hair, use the shampoo and conditioner on your beard as well.

and having a shaving scuttle makes shave heaven. it is a game changer.

happy showering
marc
Dixieman

Post by Dixieman »

Thanks, guys. Rubbed shampoo and conditioner into my beard while washing my hair and it made a big difference -- great suggestion! I have a Georgetown scuttle which is pretty but very big and I have been clumsy with it so far. This morning retrieved a cheap ceramic bowl from one of those $15 drugstore kits I bought a few years ago, lathered up my brush and but it in the bowl which I then placed in the sink, closed the drain, and ran some hot water in until it almost spilled over the lip of the bowl. Worked like a charm - it heated the lather on the brush (which is all that matters) and was a small manageable size and cheap. Maybe I'll buy a chrome/stainless steel slightly larger bowl...

Thanks again. This is a great forum with many helpful members.
Dixieman

Post by Dixieman »

OK, went to the website as suggested and just ordered a small cobalt blue Moss scuttle which looks great. My motto: You can't have too much shaving gear (or too many watches, but that's another forum). We are guys and we like gadgets. Thanks again.
Dr Dulcamara

Post by Dr Dulcamara »

I'm a shower shaver. Shaving on the shower, with hot water running on my back is even better that shaving in front of mirror.
Kind Regards. Juan, aka Dr Dulcamara. (Excuse me for my poor English. Is Google Translator)
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I believe that you will find the Moss an excellent addition to your shaving den.
Wendell

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Yes, shower prior to shave gives me the best shaving results.
Regards,
Squire
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

jww wrote:I believe that you will find the Moss an excellent addition to your shaving den.
The Moss Scuttle - accept no substitute. The rest is merely an imitation of the best.

Chris
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

The rest are imitations actually, the sincerest form of flattery for Chris Moss's creation.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

And, speaking of shaving after a shower, I admit I can't tell the difference. However, when I was around 15 or so, I remember my dad showing me how he held a washcloth drenched in hot water against his beard before shaving. That does work for me also, if I can manage to remember to do it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Shave then shower for me. I have my own routine that I've used for years and it works for me. My goal is to take my time and enjoy my shave, to each his own.

Regards to all...
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Dixieman, For years I always showered and then shaved because...well...that's what one is SUPPOSED to do. I always heard that and when I get into all this 'classic shaving' stuff that is what firms like Trumper and Taylor's recommended also. But, like you, I never liked attempting to shave while naked and dripping wet so I always toweled off first and put something on. But, occasionally, I wouldn't have time for all this or I'd put off shaving until later and it seemed to me to really not make any difference. So, for the last number of years I have joined Oscar's camp and shave before my shower. I get just as good a shave and it's more comfortable for me to do it this way. To each his own. Obviously, I do thoroughly wet my beard with hot water before lathering up.
Regards,
Gordon
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

Put me in the shave then shower camp as well. I've tried it both ways and really don't notice a difference.
Rich
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Squire wrote:The rest are imitations actually, the sincerest form of flattery for Chris Moss's creation.
+1

Shower then shave is my preferred method, but I will shave without a shower as well sometimes if I skip a morning or two and want to look fresh and kept for the evening.
Wendell

Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

When I shower in the morning I shave after the shower. But I fill the wash basin with the hottest water I can and put my Tabac Jar under it until the water is up to the jar rim. Then I shower and towel off and put on my skivvies. By the time I am ready to shave the jar and soap are nice and warm.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Ouchmychin wrote:... I fill the wash basin with the hottest water I can and put my Tabac Jar under it until the water is up to the jar rim ... By the time I am ready to shave the jar and soap are nice and warm.
And there we have it. The humble man's version of a self-made Moss scuttle. Brilliant!
Wendell