Non-Traditional Wet Shaving

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Johnny

Non-Traditional Wet Shaving

Post by Johnny »

Due to several factors, two being a flare up with my diabetes and a natural thinning of the skin due to age, and under the advisement of my doctor and dermatologist, my wet shaves for the next 30-days will look like this.

Prep: Wash with warm water and conditioning liquid soap
Brush: Edwin Jagger Synthetic
Soap: W.S.O. Bill the Barber or White Lightning
Razor: Norelco Wet/Dry SensoTouch 3D

No, this shaves nowhere near as close as a blade, but it does not remove layers of skin in the process, which is what we are trying to eliminate for a while. My hope is that this is the occasional and not the norm, but time will tell.

I just wanted to post this here to get it out in the open as my SOTD pictures are fixing to take a drastic change from the norm.
Johnny

"Younger than some, older than most" - Wet shaving for 50+ years
brothers

Re: Non-Traditional Wet Shaving

Post by brothers »

Johnny, it's fascinating to me that there is an electric razor that works with a lathered beard. I'll be quite interested in hearing how it goes for you.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Sorry to hear the news, Johnny. I hope a little time off for your skin to recover will allow you to return to the tools you enjoy.

I have always had sensitive skin, but at 62 my skin, too, has become even thinner. Any time I drag a blade over it, I get some irritation. That is why I don't shave every day.

Get better quickly so that you can come back out to play! :D

- Murray
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Tough luck Johnny, let's hope for the best.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Tuck in Johnny. Looking forward to hearing your updates. Reality is that as we age, loosing the ability to hold one's hand steady enough to shave with a DE or straight does become a reality. This could well be an,option for some,of,us as we age. Not talking of myself, but I recall how my father had to switch to an electric a few years before he passed away due to genetic tremors. He hated his electric but knew it was a necessary evil to stay somewhat presentable.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Johnny, I hope everything works out for you my friend.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
flintlock

Post by flintlock »

Hope it works for you Johnny. Keep us posted.

Anthony
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Yes, Johnny, joining in with best wishes that you'll soon be back to form.
At 72, it's distressing to realize just how many bits and pieces just don't work
the way they used to just a dozen years ago. And how many just plain hurt!!
Good Luck!
John
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Johnny,

I'm truly sorry. I hope you can get back to shaving with your DE soon. I too am no spring chicken and can relate about things not working quite as well as they once did (eyes, ears, knees, among others). Follow your doctor's orders and hopefully you will come back soon.
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Johnny, I am also sorry to hear of your plight but one does what one has to do. Looks like you're trying to make the best of the situation. I'm glad that, at least at this point, classic blade shaving doesn't seem to be a problem for me ( God knows I seem to be getting other 'age related' issues though...sigh ).
Regards,
Gordon
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

Thank you gentlemen for your kind words. It is certainly my hopes that this is not a permanent thing. Doctor said 30, maybe 60 days and we will see where we're at. I feel like a blade addict going through withdrawals. I've been shaving with a blade 7-days a week since I was 15 years old and this is one trick this old dog is having a hard time learning.
Johnny

Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Keep reporting in this thread or SOTD please. I can say there is still hope for some of the old timers here. I am 83 and still can do a full rotation of my razors. I do favor the easier to use vibrator disposable blade ones though. Easier to use. I have learned to use my left arm across my chest to steady my right wrist as I shave the left side, especially with the Schick injector which must be aimed just so to work.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

Well, it is going back to the manufacture. They have a 30-day return period and I am going to take full advantage of it. This electric razor is driving me crazy. I think I have more skin irritation than I ever did with a blade, plus after 8-hours it does not feel like I even shaved.

I will just start doing 2-pass shaves and will do just 1-pass shaves if I have to. Heck, I can get a better shave doing 1-pass than I can with this electric.
Johnny

Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I also suggest you try either shaving oil (Shave Secret available at Walmart) or Alba Botanica Aloe Mint brushless. Both give me a more soothing protective shave than ordinary soaps or creams alone. If I had to choose one it would be the brushless.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

Ouchmychin wrote:I also suggest you try either shaving oil (Shave Secret available at Walmart) or Alba Botanica Aloe Mint brushless. Both give me a more soothing protective shave than ordinary soaps or creams alone. If I had to choose one it would be the brushless.

Thanks Pete, I may have to look into that.
Johnny

brothers

Post by brothers »

Johnny, I suppose I could manage with nothing but a plain old dry electric. What's your take on this option?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

brothers wrote:Johnny, I suppose I could manage with nothing but a plain old dry electric. What's your take on this option?

I tried it dry once and could not stand it. To me it was very uncomfortable using it that way.
Johnny

brothers

Post by brothers »

My trusty but almost never used Norelco isn't the wet/dry version. Maybe the extra stuff associated with the wet part of your razor is somehow making the whole thing uncomfortable.
Gary

Johnny

Post by Johnny »

brothers wrote:My trusty but almost never used Norelco isn't the wet/dry version. Maybe the extra stuff associated with the wet part of your razor is somehow making the whole thing uncomfortable.
Well, I will never know. It is all cleaned up and packaged for its return.
Johnny

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Good riddance and on to better things.
Regards,
Squire