I stopped shaving today

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
brothers

I stopped shaving today

Post by brothers »

I didn't shave today and I'm not going to shave again until Monday morning. Here's why. I'm enjoying shaving twice a day now, the morning shave is one of the multi-blade cartridge razors. Those always turn out smooth and close. Never any nicks or cuts, not ever. As a result, it seems I'm getting a bit too careless, simply because it's so easy with these cartridges. I know this because I subconsciously used the same easy-going technique with the "other" razors. By others I am talking specifically about the Cobra Classic, the Shavecraft 101, the Ever Ready Streamline SE, the Barbasol, and my straight razors. I'm using all of the others in my evening shaves, and that's when it gets uncomfortable. Moving too fast, and tending to take my eyes off the blade as it touches the skin. Nicks and cuts are not my cup of tea. I'm not about to change my twice-daily shaves, and I'm not about to change my razor rotations either. I'm just taking a step back to allow me to focus on paying attention and keep my concentration at the level it should be, going forward.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Re: I stopped shaving today

Post by ShadowsDad »

That's (basically) the problem I was having when I recently was using the R41. Too much confidence, moving too fast.

I dropped back to get back onto my game.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Ah yes. Our old friend hubris rearing his ugly head once again.

On a more positive note, tonight was closing night for our 3rd annual Evening On Broadway show which our church puts on for the community. 30 piece live orchestra, professional sound, etc. I was joined by my daughter as we played Jean Valjean and Cosette respectively in the final number of Les Miserables - also known as Jean Valjean's death. I had gone unshaven to create a scruffy face for the makeup artists to work with for just over a month. I just climbed into bed clean shaven. Oh how I missed being clean shaven. Heaven, or at least something like unto it. :D
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

There's a lot to be said for a regular routine using the same equipment or at least that works for me.
Regards,
Squire
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

jww wrote:Ah yes. Our old friend hubris rearing his ugly head once again.

On a more positive note, tonight was closing night for our 3rd annual Evening On Broadway show which our church puts on for the community. 30 piece live orchestra, professional sound, etc. I was joined by my daughter as we played Jean Valjean and Cosette respectively in the final number of Les Miserables - also known as Jean Valjean's death. I had gone unshaven to create a scruffy face for the makeup artists to work with for just over a month. I just climbed into bed clean shaven. Oh how I missed being clean shaven. Heaven, or at least something like unto it. :D
Very interesting. Our local Community Theater will be doing Les Miserables June 19-23. My wife is the music director.
Johnny

"Younger than some, older than most" - Wet shaving for 50+ years
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Well, being shaving aficionados, so to speak, part of what some of us enjoy about more traditional razors IS that it takes a bit more skill and focus to use them well. But, truth be told, if one goes with Squire's suggestion, and mine, that is, sticking to products and implements that one is familiar with even shaving with a DE can become pretty automatic requiring little concentration. I use basically the same razor, same sort of blade, and similar prep products, and same cutting pattern every day and I never get cuts, nicks, etc. even when in a hurray or half asleep.
Regards,
Gordon
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I've been experimenting with that new Feather twin-blade cartridge razor and I have been surprised to discover that I actually get a closer, more uniform shave with a DE razor.

Gary, were you shaving twice a day before you started your recent round of experiments with cartridge razors?

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Murray, nope, I started both at about the same time. You've identified the main issue, surely. That's one reason I had to step back, plus there's another - face lathering if I happen to be using a brush, which creates additional stress on the skin. It's these adjustments and innovations that aren't helping matters. I do stuff like this every so often. It's healthy and fun to be able to mix things up a bit from time to time, and it does help to take a step back and take a look at the big picture. This insight from you guys for whom I have a great amount of respect is a very important part of the process for me.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Gary, you and Murray have mentioned how brushes can and do irritate the skin, and it's one reason I've gravitated away from the scrubby-scritchy kind. I'll still feel irritation sometimes even after using the super-soft Plisson synthetic or Thater. When that happens I take a couple days off. Same with whatever razor I'm using. I don't shave daily anymore since it's just too much for this old baby face. I'm used to putting up with that by now, but I remain annoyed because it takes longer for me to test or break-in a new product, and of course I want the results NOW.
Ron
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

It's been a while since I posted my time tested mantra: It's not a race... It's your face and you are supposed to "Enjoy Your Shave." Slowing down and taking a step back is not a bad thing. We might all give it a try every now and then.

Enjoy...
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Murray, Well that also was my experience with the Gillette Trac II lo those many years ago. Setting aside any personal skin issues, try as often as I did, it became obvious that the shave simply wasn't as good as what I was used to getting with my DE so....why bother? Perhaps that not other's experience but it was mine.
Regards.
Gordon
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Racso_MS wrote:It's been a while since I posted my time tested mantra: It's not a race... It's your face and you are supposed to "Enjoy Your Shave." Slowing down and taking a step back is not a bad thing. We might all give it a try every now and then.

Enjoy...
Yes, I recall this every time I post something about hubris .... :D
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I am amazed that you can stand twice a day shaving. But I can see that it makes the later shave start with very short stubble and that you could skip the first pass. I have been plagued with sloppy habits from using the vibrator razors. Almost impossible to nick or scrape. Then when the rotation goes to a double edge or injector my technique fails me. By the way, when I first joined this club, rotation seemed to be the vogue. Rotate brushes, razors, creams or soaps, and aftershave products. I didn't see one post now where that is mentioned.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
brothers

Post by brothers »

Pete, twice a day just feels right to me, at least so far. I enjoy the variety of the rotation, and I hope to be able to focus and relax when shifting from one type of razor to another now. Today is a good example, this morning I used the lightweight Feather F2, and tonight I'm really looking forward to using the old and excellent Dubl Duck Special #1 straight razor. It's going to be similar to driving a loaded 5 ton truck immediately after driving a VW Beetle. Keeps me sharp (pun intended)!
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Pete I think for the most part we rotate because we can but at some point taper off trying new stuff simply because we've tried enough new stuff to recognize what works best.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Using the tried and true old favorites in rotation is a satisfying way to maintain familiarity with each one. Trying new stuff only serves to disrupt and complicate a comfortable routine., and hopefully doesn't keep me away from my rotation for very long.
Gary

Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Well, the only break to my regular routine was when I followed the recommendations of fellow members. I started using KAI disposables at your recommendation Gary. I also tried the vibrating disposable head razors because someone reported on how well they worked for them. Oh, and I had to try a boar brush I didn't need for the same reason.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
brothers

Post by brothers »

The Kai disposables have earned a permanent place in my regular rotation Pete. I always look forward to using it.
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Noticed today the local Dollar General has their own DG disposable razors in a pack of ten for one dollar. Small print says they're made in Korea.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Pete, Your observation is probably accurate. These days a fair number of our SMF 'regulars' have been at this for quite a while and most have settled, if not into full 'fidelity' to one kit, at least into a more limited 'rotation'. For me, what I rotate are brushes, shave prep products, and to a very limited degree colognes. I never fool with the razor, the blades ( okay, I do use more than one type/brand of blades but if the old Wilkinson LB numbers were still sold in stores I wouldn't ), or the aftershave. Constantly shifting around in those areas, I learned long ago, just resulted in too many disappointing or irritating shaves...it just wasn't worth it. Some members, like Squire for example, can get away with using almost any DE blade in a pinch but my skin just couldn't take that. Whatever works and whatever floats your boat.
Regards,
Gordon