A Gent's Forum to this day

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Antique Hoosier

A Gent's Forum to this day

Post by Antique Hoosier »

I have been a member here and semi regular poster since 2007. SMF has always been among the 4 shaving forums I participate in, the most Gentlemanly. Also I would say it is the most serious forum and I mean that in a good way. I have close to 10,000 posts on the world's largest shaving forum and just as much tenure there as well. I have noticed over the years that the true core group at SMF is the best informed as to brushes primarily as well as soaps and fragrances. WE are probably the most traditional forum when it comes to embracing the classics. I think perhaps that is due to Dr. Moss, Gordon, Squire, and many others that I align with on the traditional choices. There just aren't too many hot artisan soap/cream of the day guys here and for that I am so happy. I tolerate the constant tutti frutti flavored soap pushers on other forums and the non traditional sorts. Sometimes I wish there was a tad more activity on SMF but perhaps that is what makes it so special. Nobody is mindlessly posting constant drivel about the latest Modern DE or artisan products. I appreciate you Gents for staying the course and keeping this little corner of our enthusiast area of joy to the civil and respectful manner that you do.
Mike
rsp1202

Re: A Gent's Forum to this day

Post by rsp1202 »

+1
SMF is the little country store that caters to the local townsfolk who court tradition and proven values above all else. Once in a while we take the carriage to the Big City to go dancin', but always return home to our comfy cottage.
May it always remain so.
Ron
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I like to think of this as a place where common courtesy is still common.
Regards,
Squire
Gene

Post by Gene »

I subscribe to one other, but I hardly ever go there...and then it's mostly for the LOL CATS thread. All the knowledge I care to learn is available here.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
Jbbmad2

Post by Jbbmad2 »

As far as tenure here, I'm still a newbie, but I must say that I've learned far more here than anywhere else. LIke Squire, I think of this as the more gentlemanly of sites that I either belong to or have visited.
Bruce
Proverbs 3:5-6
Gig'em!
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

We don't seem to do a flavour/fad/trend of the day, and whilst we welcome the young, we hope they will behave as grown-ups when here. It comes down to a corollary of Groucho Marx's statement that 'any club that would have me as a member, I wouldn't want to belong to'. If you like what we offer you are welcome to join in. If not, there's a great big web out there for you. We won't be changing much, and if we do, I'll be long gone!

Thanks for the kind words though, they are appreciated.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

Michael, I understand and appreciate your message. There are a great many gentlemen who are members of more than one forum, of course. Generally, they know each other, and they are respectful and sociable at all times, regardless of the forum. Sometimes our shared interests become enthusiastic or even bordering on passionate. Anyone can make soap as they are inclined, and some fortunate ones are able to glean a sense of personal satisfaction and even joy from making soap and developing pleasing fragrances that they share with others, gratuitously or commercially. One would hope that patience, wisdom, and respect for a commonly shared passion will make allowances for the occasional bad day, or even an inpulsive misdeed, and in the end the sum of the whole is greater than the sum of the individuals. Thanks for posting here. Best regards,
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I like SMF --- it fits with my personality and interests better than any other forum.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

SMF was my first shaving forum and it is still my home forum. The goal of being gentlemen here and the atmostphere that goes with it have had a lot to do with it.

I don't have a problem with artisan soaps. If the commercial producers decide at some point that they cannot support such a small buying public, the artisans will be our future. Soaps by artisans have also evolved a lot in the eight years I have been here and they now include some impressive products. I'm amazed at the number of small businesses that support us in the enhanced traditional wetshave.

- Murray
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Michael, I'm glad to hear that you appreciate what we do here, and how we do it. This type of forum goes back to 2003 and I was involved almost from the beginning. Believe it or not, at one time I was actually posting on four of them, but the other three have long since faded away while SMF has just kept on chugging along. I've taken a look at the other forums that have started up more recently but the 'vibe' on them doesn't really appeal to me. FWIW, I concur that it is here that one will find the most informed core members and beyond a doubt the most mature and polite membership overall. Don Cypwood started one of the older MSN forums and he always referred to it as 'a gentlemen's club' and that attitude carried over to SMF and has been very consciously maintained. I for one am glade because otherwise I'd have no where else to go to yak about this trivia ( chuckle ). Thanks for the kind words.
Regards,
Gordon
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

I owe a lot to the "core" members here and to many others who post on SMF.
I am in the camp which is glad the artisans are around, but tends to the traditional
in soap makers. Based solely on my limited experience with the artisans, none yet
match the soaps on which I grew up. Perhaps that makes me stuffy and ultra-conservative.
To echo others, though, all viewpoints here are respected and encouraged; certainly more
so than on some other sites I have visited.
I continue to be happy and proud to be among so many learned, tolerant and gentlemanly souls.
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
TommyDawg

Post by TommyDawg »

+1 to all the positive comments above. Well said, all.
Tom
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

I think I may have mentioned this before but, to me, this place it like the House of Lords among the forums. I like and post to some other forums but this place is truly a home for Gentlemen.

Vive le SMF!

Chris
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

I can't remember the last time I visited another shaving forum. I'm stuck here with no regrets. My kind of people.
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
bflotom2

Post by bflotom2 »

Gentlemen:

Well Said, all of you. I like Michael have been with SMF since 2006 and look forward to coming to this club (when I can). "Now if I could just get a drink here! Where is that server?
Regards,
Tom
diggity

Post by diggity »

Very well put. It's not often that you can find a group that is the most informed with technique, historical content, etc. while being a nice and down to earth group. I am glad that this forum is still kicking. For a while there, it was on life support!
Nathan
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

bflotom2 wrote:Gentlemen:
... "Now if I could just get a drink here! Where is that server?
I thought the forum was moved to a new server a couple years back, no? Oops -- wrong server I think ..... :wink:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
thegrayson

Post by thegrayson »

While I really don't contribute, I'm grateful that so many do and for that I'm thankful to everyone here.
Merkur Futur/ Muhle R89, Wilkinson Blade, ToOBS P2233 Brush, & ToOBS Eton College Cream/ Proraso.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Michael, here's hoping you're still monitoring us, even though it appears that you've been away for a while now. I've been thinking about what you say about supporting products such as traditional classics, so I took a look back to see how many threads over the past several months mention those products vs the newer ones. Collectively it is evident that the traditional brands are mentioned only rarely while products that have been introduced more recently seem to be getting discussed much more often. I wonder if you might want to to comment? Regardless, I hope all is well, and that you might post again soon. Best regards! (OK, maybe 60/40 in favor of the newer products.)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444