Help!

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
chaotic31

Help!

Post by chaotic31 »

Does anyone know anything about this razor?
Attachments
1404324706996.jpg
1404324706996.jpg (773.52 KiB) Viewed 1818 times
1404339581727.jpg
1404339581727.jpg (2 MiB) Viewed 1818 times
1404339275989.jpg
1404339275989.jpg (2.24 MiB) Viewed 1818 times
Last edited by chaotic31 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Help!

Post by Squire »

It would be helpful if you resize those photos.
Regards,
Squire
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Well, definitely maybe.

+1 what Squire wrote.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Welcome to SMF, chaotic31!

Squire and Brian, let's cut him some slack. This is the first post by a new member. Certainly we can be more welcoming than to start with criticism.

If you click on the photos, you can open them up. They are still a little large for easy viewing, but you can see the razor a lot better.

Brian, you have a good knowledge of SE (single-edge) razors, so I thought you might recognize this one.

- Murray
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I had a polite tone in my head while typing but apologize if I came across as abrupt.

Murray I tried clicking on the photos but that didn't produce a visible image.
Regards,
Squire
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

(What follows may read as me being angry. I assure anyone who reads it that way that it isn't intended that way and that I'm not in one whit angry or any such emotion. But I am in a rush. :-) )

I didn't take Squires post to be criticism. But only a means to give the gent what he wanted. Squire can be concise and sometimes that gets one into trouble.

Criticizing was not my intent. The gent was asking for help and I was asking for the means to help him which only he can supply, while being brief so as to try not to criticize.

I'd help him if I could (that was my intent). But the pix are for me, unusable. I didn't want to say that in this thread, but I had to now in order to explain myself.

Clearly it's a lather catcher from the one pic where I see anything, but beyond that, well, one might as well say it's a razor for all the good that identification does. Calling it a lather catcher is sort of useless since there are so many LCs. Maybe that's enough for him but it wouldn't be for me. I'd want to tell him who made it, where, when, and whatever else I know about it. I didn't want to give half an answer, a pat on the head, and send him on his way. For what I wanted to supply, and what I thought he was asking for, requires useable pix.

So my brief post intended to be kind and not write any of the above has been laid open.

Again, my intent was to give the help I thought he was asking for.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Hi chaotic,

Welcome to SMF. Hope you enjoy your time here as we are really a great friendly community of weirdos! :D I say that because we are able to shave twice a day and drink some good booze while at it without actually injuring ourselves. Right Squire?

I was able to make out the pix, just have to do some serious scrolling. Took a look in my copy of Waits Compendium and really could not find a pix of this razor. But did find info and pix on razors with similar heads. I will take a semi-informed guess that this one is from about 1904-1911.

Looks to be in fairly good shape. By that I think a bit of cleaning up and it will be great for shaving use. The handle is kinda short on finish but it will do the job it was originally made for. Looks to have no bent or missing teeth on the comb and it will take a standard SE blade.

Can't wait to see how this one shaves for you. Good luck and enjoy one of the best ways of removing whiskers from ones face, an SE Lather Catcher Razor.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum