an orgy of questions

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
harper

an orgy of questions

Post by harper »

I am personally curious about the shaving habits of SMF members so I am tossing out a number of random questions off the top of my head. This is not a survey for anyone but I thought some of us might be interested in how SMF members answer them ... if members do respond. So, answer any of them you choose or none of them if you don't want to. There is no prize for best answers; no demerit points either.

1. How often do you shave?

2. What type of razor (DE, cartridge, straight) do you use?

3. Why do you use that type of razor?

4. Have you used that type of razor for more than a year?

5. Do you use shaving cream or shave soap?

6. If it is a cream, is it canned, brushless, tube, tub?

7. If it is shave soap, what kind? Domestic or imported?

8. If imported, from where mostly?

9. Why do you shave?

10. Do you enjoy the actual process of shaving? If not, what not?

11, Do you have a beard or a partial beard?

12. Why do you have a beard or partial beard?

13. Have you ever thought about growing a beard?

14. Have you ever thought about giving up on shaving?

15. Why didn't you if you did?

16. What's the most important things you have learned from reading SMF posts?

17. What do you think is a waste of time on SMF?

18, Do you belong to any other shaving forums?

19. What would you like to see added to the SMF forum?

20. Are there questions you want to add to this list? If so, do so.

21, Do you use a shaving brush?

22, If so, what type?
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Re: an orgy of questions

Post by KAV »

I shave daily. In my misspent youth I sported beards and moustaches trying to look older. Now I shave to look younger. I enjoy shaving. I use a gifted Edwin Jagger with Super Iridiums and Dittmars soap. My sole brush is a Wee Scot. I intend to try several new soaps, buy another fullsized brush and more polsilvers by year's end. SMF is my second fav website: the first being a live chat for a Nevada brothel.It is closed on the weekend so I answred your query. I dislike such questionaires; usually being approached by funeral homes, political action groups and religious missionaries after my money.
brothers

Post by brothers »

1. How often do you shave? Daily

2. What type of razor (DE, cartridge, straight) do you use? All kinds, all the time

3. Why do you use that type of razor? I figure it's a challenge to be able to use them all to achieve the best possible shave every time

4. Have you used that type of razor for more than a year? Yes, all of them

5. Do you use shaving cream or shave soap? Both

6. If it is a cream, is it canned, brushless, tube, tub? All kinds

7. If it is shave soap, what kind? Domestic or imported? All, plus homemade

8. If imported, from where mostly? England, Germany, France, Canada, Turkey, Italy, plus Mexico and Russia

9. Why do you shave? Daily grooming necessity, ritual, and a source of personal pleasure and pride

10. Do you enjoy the actual process of shaving? If not, what not? Yes, very much, but I do have one straight razor that will not permit itself to be sharpened because of a design defect, and it will not cut whiskers. I never enjoyed the illusion of shaving with that razor when in fact it was not cutting any whiskers.

11, Do you have a beard or a partial beard? No

12. Why do you have a beard or partial beard? Why? Do you think I look like I need to shave?

13. Have you ever thought about growing a beard? I have grown a beard in the past

14. Have you ever thought about giving up on shaving? No

15. Why didn't you if you did? Did what? I didn't, or maybe I thought I did, but didn't.

16. What's the most important things you have learned from reading SMF posts? That there are a lot of other guys who share common interests with me regarding shaving, who also like to discuss these interests via the internet.

17. What do you think is a waste of time on SMF? Nothing, other than a self-imposed ritual of reading long running threads from beginning to end, that's why I don't do it. I just try to guess what the original subject was, and post several hypothetical responses, just in case I happen to not know what the original subject was, and maybe one of my guesses will be close to the original subject. (I'm just kidding of course.) :D

18, Do you belong to any other shaving forums? Yes, all that I can find. When do the checks start coming in?

19. What would you like to see added to the SMF forum? New members who understand the value of posting often over extended periods of time instead of getting bored and quitting right off the bat without trying to understand and contribute in a meaningful fashion.

20. Are there questions you want to add to this list? If so, do so. When will you post our grades? This is a hard test, I've got a headache. Can I go to the bathroom? When's lunch? Why aren't there more girls in here? What happens if we park in the teacher's parking lot? When we finish, can we go ahead and leave?

21, Do you use a shaving brush? Yes, more than one, but never more than one at a time

22, If so, what type? Synthetic, Badger, Boar, Horsehair

Bob, this was a blast! Please give us more! :D
Last edited by brothers on Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Ok, I'll take a whack at it.

1. I shave twice a day at around six in the morning and six in the evening.

2. I use a DE or straight though have had brief side track excursions with others over the years.

3. I use the DE because it works best for me.

4. I have used a DE for more than 50 years.

5. Use both cream and soap.

6. Tube or tub but have used brushless and canned enough to know I wouldn't pick either as a first choice.

7. I use all kinds of shave soaps, both hard and soft, and have a decided preference for classic versions from the British Isles.

8. Imported.

9. Fish gotta swim, birds gotta fly, I gotta shave.

10. Oh yeah.

11, 12, 13, 14 and 15 can all be answered with some form of no.

16. The extraordinary level of knowledge here is unique and I pick up all sorts of stuff. For instance I didn't even know Nevada brothels offered live chat.

17. Oh I can waste my own time far better than SMF can.

18. I've been around the shaving forums since they began and have participated on others but now find I only have time for this one.

19 and 20. No comment at this point but would like to hear what the others have to say.

21 and 22. Yes, Badger, when you have the best accept no compromises or substitutes.
Regards,
Squire
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

harper wrote:I am personally curious about the shaving habits of SMF members so I am tossing out a number of random questions off the top of my head. This is not a survey for anyone but I thought some of us might be interested in how SMF members answer them ... if members do respond. So, answer any of them you choose or none of them if you don't want to. There is no prize for best answers; no demerit points either.

1. How often do you shave? Depends on the razor. With DE or SE I prefer to shave daily. With the Rolls I think it works best with 2 day stubble.

2. What type of razor (DE, cartridge, straight) do you use? SE and DE mostly, but lately the Rolls.

3. Why do you use that type of razor? That's obvious, to remove whiskers. That's what a razor is for and is ill suited for anything else.

4. Have you used that type of razor for more than a year? Yes to DE and SE, no to the Rolls.

5. Do you use shaving cream or shave soap? Yes

6. If it is a cream, is it canned, brushless, tube, tub? Yes to all 3

7. If it is shave soap, what kind? Domestic or imported? Too many to list; yes, domestic and imported.

8. If imported, from where mostly? Other countries. :-) Poland, UK, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Portugal

9. Why do you shave? To remove facial hair

10. Do you enjoy the actual process of shaving? If not, what not? Yes

11, Do you have a beard or a partial beard? no

12. Why do you have a beard or partial beard? see #11

13. Have you ever thought about growing a beard? Yes. When I used cartridges. Not only did I think about it I had one for at least 6-8 months or longer, the memory is foggy.

14. Have you ever thought about giving up on shaving? See #13

18, Do you belong to any other shaving forums? Yes

21, Do you use a shaving brush? No, I use many brushes, though not all at once.

22, If so, what type?
Boar, badger, horse, synthetic
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

harper wrote:I am personally curious about the shaving habits of SMF members so I am tossing out a number of random questions off the top of my head. This is not a survey for anyone but I thought some of us might be interested in how SMF members answer them ... if members do respond. So, answer any of them you choose or none of them if you don't want to. There is no prize for best answers; no demerit points either.

1. How often do you shave? Once a day, every day.

2. What type of razor (DE, cartridge, straight) do you use? Cartridge, but I will use a DE or SE on occasion.

3. Why do you use that type of razor? Cartridge works best for me.

4. Have you used that type of razor for more than a year? Yes.

5. Do you use shaving cream or shave soap? Cream 95% of the time.

6. If it is a cream, is it canned, brushless, tube, tub? Tub or tube.

7. If it is shave soap, what kind? Domestic or imported? NA.

8. If imported, from where mostly? NA.

9. Why do you shave? I don't like stubble on me, or anyone for that matter. Moreover, I feel clean and invigorated afterwards.

10. Do you enjoy the actual process of shaving? If not, what not? Very much so.

11, Do you have a beard or a partial beard? Absolutely not.

12. Why do you have a beard or partial beard? NA.

13. Have you ever thought about growing a beard? Never; I'm not partial to facial hair of any kind.

14. Have you ever thought about giving up on shaving? Never.

15. Why didn't you if you did? NA.

16. What's the most important things you have learned from reading SMF posts? Too many to enumerate here.

17. What do you think is a waste of time on SMF? Nothing.

18, Do you belong to any other shaving forums? Yes, 3 others and banned from a fifth.

19. What would you like to see added to the SMF forum? Can't think of anything.

20. Are there questions you want to add to this list? If so, do so. NA.

21, Do you use a shaving brush? Always.

22, If so, what type? 23 badger, 1 boar, 1 horse and 1 synthetic.
Bryan
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Here's my answers.

1. How often do you shave? - When I feel like it. Usually every other day now that I am retired

2. What type of razor (DE, cartridge, straight) do you use? - DE, SE, Injector

3. Why do you use that type of razor? - I like all three types because I get great shaves with them and I like to change up now and then.

4. Have you used that type of razor for more than a year? - Oh yes, for many years

5. Do you use shaving cream or shave soap? - Both

6. If it is a cream, is it canned, brushless, tube, tub? - Tube and tub

7. If it is shave soap, what kind? Domestic or imported? - Imported

8. If imported, from where mostly? - Where ever MWF comes from and Britain

9. Why do you shave? - I enjoy it.

10. Do you enjoy the actual process of shaving? If not, what not? - See #9

11, Do you have a beard or a partial beard? - Nope

12. Why do you have a beard or partial beard? - N/A

13. Have you ever thought about growing a beard? - Had one for about 10 years

14. Have you ever thought about giving up on shaving? - I did when I grew my beard

15. Why didn't you if you did? - Grew a beard

16. What's the most important things you have learned from reading SMF posts? - about different razors, creams, soaps, brushes, technique

17. What do you think is a waste of time on SMF? - Nothing really

18, Do you belong to any other shaving forums? - Only one, The Original Safety which concentrates on SE razors

19. What would you like to see added to the SMF forum? - Nothing

20. Are there questions you want to add to this list? If so, do so. - No

21, Do you use a shaving brush? - Yes

22, If so, what type? - Boar and badger
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

I have a few select answers:

1. Five times a week.

2. Gillette adjustable

4. Yes

5. Both

11. No

16. Blade info, as in Squire's reviews.

17. Answering extended surveys like this one.

21. Yes

22. HJM black fibre w. ergo handle (synthetic), Bestshave Nr. 7 (boar).
mustang_john

Post by mustang_john »

1. How often do you shave? Every day.

2. What type of razor (DE, cartridge, straight) do you use? DE.

3. Why do you use that type of razor? The first real wet shave I've ever tried.

4. Have you used that type of razor for more than a year? No.

5. Do you use shaving cream or shave soap? Soap.

6. If it is a cream, is it canned, brushless, tube, tub? Tube.

7. If it is shave soap, what kind? Domestic or imported? Palmolive, domestic.

8. If imported, from where mostly? N/A

9. Why do you shave? Don't like beards, to itchy, make me look even more ancient ;)

10. Do you enjoy the actual process of shaving? If not, what not? 50/50, getting better slowly.

11, Do you have a beard or a partial beard? No.

12. Why do you have a beard or partial beard? N/A

13. Have you ever thought about growing a beard? Nope.

14. Have you ever thought about giving up on shaving? Near enough every day till I found this forum at learnt to shave properly!!!

15. Why didn't you if you did? See question 9 ;)

17. What do you think is a waste of time on SMF? Have no complaints so far.

18, Do you belong to any other shaving forums? None.

19. What would you like to see added to the SMF forum? Hadn't thought about it.

20. Are there questions you want to add to this list? If so, do so. Nope.

21, Do you use a shaving brush? Yes.

22, If so, what type? Bristle & Badger Hair.
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

KAV wrote:I shave daily. In my misspent youth I sported beards and moustaches trying to look older. Now I shave to look younger. I enjoy shaving. I use a gifted Edwin Jagger with Super Iridiums and Dittmars soap. My sole brush is a Wee Scot. I intend to try several new soaps, buy another fullsized brush and more polsilvers by year's end. SMF is my second fav website: the first being a live chat for a Nevada brothel.It is closed on the weekend so I answred your query. I dislike such questionaires; usually being approached by funeral homes, political action groups and religious missionaries after my money.
+1
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

1. How often do you shave? generally every other day... retired from LE and daily close, close 14-hour shaves no longer needed

2. What type of razor (DE, cartridge, straight) do you use? until a few months ago, SE's; recently the Feather 3-blade system

3. Why do you use that type of razor? close enough, more comfortable, fewer nicks

4. Have you used that type of razor for more than a year? no

5. Do you use shaving cream or shave soap? except for travel, soap

7. If it is shave soap, what kind? Domestic or imported? mostly imported

8. If imported, from where mostly? no particular place..... but mostly U.K.

9. Why do you shave? uncomfortable with more than a 2-day stubble

10. Do you enjoy the actual process of shaving? If not, what not? most days relaxing and enjoyable. some days, rarely, a bit of a chore

11, Do you have a beard or a partial beard? nope

13. Have you ever thought about growing a beard? sure but never seriously

14. Have you ever thought about giving up on shaving? not really

16. What's the most important things you have learned from reading SMF posts? variety is the spice of life; always something to learn

18, Do you belong to any other shaving forums? belong, yes. participate no

21, Do you use a shaving brush? yes

22, If so, what type? mostly older Simpsons ... love the Duke 2's; a couple of boars from time to time
Interesting post, Bob. Thanks!
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

1. How often do you shave?
Every day, unless circumstances prevent me.

2. What type of razor (DE, cartridge, straight) do you use?
For my face I generally use a Merkur Progress with an adjuster machined by Cooncatbob (RIP). I occasionally use a fatboy. For travel I have a delightful little metal box with a collapsible/unscrewable DE. For travel using carry-on only I have a nice heavy handle that takes Trac II cartridges. Sometimes, as a special treat, I use a straight.

3. Why do you use that type of razor?
For my face I've found that anything that doesn't pivot works well. The prevailing opinion on SMF seems to be that multi blades were the moment shaving went bad. For me it's pivoting. Of course, I suspect 3+ blades wouldn't have come to pass without pivoting.

4. Have you used that type of razor for more than a year?
Yes I have.

5. Do you use shaving cream or shave soap?
I use both, I prefer soap.

Tub, generally.

7. If it is shave soap, what kind? Domestic or imported?
Imported. I prefer Trumper's soaps. I also like shave sticks, my favourites being De Vergulde Hand, and Taylor's Sandalwood. I also like soft soaps. All imported though, he wrote, getting back to the point.

8. If imported, from where mostly?
England.

9. Why do you shave?
I am prejudiced against the unshaven.

10. Do you enjoy the actual process of shaving? If not, what not?
I enjoy it immensely.

11, Do you have a beard or a partial beard?
I do not.

No. Growing a beard doesn't require thought. :D
I've grown a (truly impressive) handlebar moustache though.

14. Have you ever thought about giving up on shaving?
No.

Patience.

Nothing.

18, Do you belong to any other shaving forums?
Nope.

Gramps. I'd like Gramps to be added back.

What are the 39 steps?

21, Do you use a shaving brush?
Yes, always.

22, If so, what type?
Badger - Olde Apothecary Finest, C&E into which I put a better knot from Golden Nib.
Boar - Semogue 1305
Replies above.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

1. How often do you shave? Daily

2. What type of razor (DE, cartridge, straight) do you use? DE

3. Why do you use that type of razor? Just always have. Used to use straight, but maintaining the edge became more effort than it was worth to me

4. Have you used that type of razor for more than a year? I have used the same razor for forty-four years

5. Do you use shaving cream or shave soap? Hard soap

7. If it is shave soap, what kind? Domestic or imported? Vintage 1982 Trumper's Sandalwood

8. If imported, from where mostly? By me, from London

9. Why do you shave?

10. Do you enjoy the actual process of shaving? If not, what not? Yes

11, Do you have a beard or a partial beard? Sometimes

12. Why do you have a beard or partial beard? My children demand it

14. Have you ever thought about giving up on shaving? This is a joke, right?

16. What's the most important things you have learned from reading SMF posts? That my minimalist approach to shaving paraphernalia is a wise decision

17. What do you think is a waste of time on SMF? I only read the streams that interest me and I only comment on matters to which I can speak knowledgably

18, Do you belong to any other shaving forums? No

21, Do you use a shaving brush? Yes

22, If so, what type? Vintage #24 Plisson High Mountain White set in plexiglass...but everybody knows that