Interesting thing happened

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
kennethj

Interesting thing happened

Post by kennethj »

When I lived in my house i always threw my old DE blades into a coffee can. In April I moved into a new apartment and I have been throwing the old blades into the wastebasket in the bathroom. Big mistake. I went to empty the wastebasket last Sunday and sliced my finger pretty bad. It has been a week and it is still sore. So yesterday, i had the idea that maybe there was a slot in the medicine cabinet to throw old blades.....like my father used to do. I checked and sure enough there is a slot in the medicine cabinet. Lesson learned....if you don't have a slot to throw them, then find a container for them, don't just throw them in the trash.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Interesting thing happened

Post by Squire »

They will also do a number on a plastic garbage bag, usually near the bottom.
Regards,
Squire
mustang_john

Post by mustang_john »

Hmm, that's very interesting.

I'd never thought of that, I just chuck them in the waste bin. Now wondering if maybe that they could be a hazard to others seeing as the rubbish will probably end up in a landfill site.

What do others reckon?

John.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Ultimately, yes, they will end up in a landfill. The problem is loose they present all sorts of handling problems so I collect them in any handy empty tin and when full toss the whole shebang in with the usual rubbish.
Regards,
Squire
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

Why not recycle them?
_______
John
pausted

Post by pausted »

Squire, I do the same. I cut a slot in the lid of a small, plastic soft butter container. When full, I put a wrap of duct tape around the container to secure the lid and toss it in the trash. I do take the final step of writing "razor blades" on the duct tape with a marker. Just trying to keep anyone from getting cut.
Best regards,

Basil
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I use a can whose contents I removed by punching holes in it. My current can is an evaporated milk can (washed out). A slot in the side allows blades in and they come out with difficulty. When full it'll be sealed with tape and recycled.

Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Recycling may be an option in the future John but there's no such facility in our area at present.
Regards,
Squire
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

I also used an evaporated milk can for a long time but now use a soda can.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Growing up we had a medicine cabinet with the slot in the back and glass shelves. The house I grew up in was built in the early 50's and my mother still lives there. I'd love to see what's behind the wall in the bathroom should the opportunity ever arise.

Chris
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I know exactly what's back there, hundreds (thousands perhaps) of razor blades rusted into a solid mass irregular in shape and dangerous to handle. Clients of mine who did home renovations relegated the blade cleanup job to the lowest totem pole employee.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

drilled a hole in top, next to the slot. Carts in the hole, blades in the slot. When it's full I'll make another one. Might or might not have the inspiration to paint it. 5 years old, almost, and about 3/4 full.

Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444