Shaving kit tossed out?

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Shaving kit tossed out?

Post by KAV »

One of the pleasures/pitfalls we all experienced was the assembly of our 'kit'- the razor/blades, soap/container, brush and scents. We have a lively niche economy going selling, trading & PIF the various brands we try.
And then there are accessories; the faux tortoiseshell brush stand, magnetic blade re aligning /pyramid power gizmo, hot lather dispenser or vintage washbasin used by Krishnamurti at his Ojai Ashram for ONLY $1000 I once posted about ( never try chanting your mantra on the initial pass.)
Most of this stuff winds up in a trash midden or Salvation Army shelf.
What was your white elephant from the early days? :oops:
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Shaving kit tossed out?

Post by Squire »

Can't say I've had one, but I started over 50 years ago when Grade A stuff was widely and cheaply available. Having learned on the best you have an idea of what to shop for which makes mistakes less likely. I have run across a few blades that were stinkers though but they were so cheap tossing them was a loss of no consequence.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

One of several, very early on, before I learned anything about the modern Moss-style scuttles, I decided I could have warm water/lather by putting a lather bowl into an electric gravy boat (an electric appliance with a lid that's supposed to sit on the dinner table - electric cord and all - and keep the gravy hot). Found a likely example on Amazon. Bought it, certainly not workable for shaving. So I hid it from the wife under the cabinet because she would have ridiculed my stupidity (she does that anyway). Sold it on ebay. Whew! Another was some kind of blade stropper where you have to turn a handle around and around. That's one piece of crap that nobody in their right mind wants to buy at any price. I just can't yet bring myself to throw it away.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Tell the wife it's a spice grinder just need a coupla parts.
Regards,
Squire
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Colgate mug soap. I apologize to the worms in the garden. Or did I break it up and flush it? Either way I apologize to whatever "ate" it. It was just horrible.

I did make a brush scuttle out of a tiny SS drink shaker sans top apparatus and a ceramic "thing" that it fit into that I bought from GoodWill. I didn't have much $ in it, but it cured me of needing a brush scuttle. I still have it and may try it from time to time because I like the idea of it. But I find that for the warm lather to make a difference for me it needs to be hot enough to break down. That sort of defeats the purpose. Of course it isn't difficult to rebuild the lather, it's just a PITA.

Of course there was one ebay purchase of one lot of razors that were mostly junk. Not even many good parts when the razors were cannibalized. Highly unusual purchase that.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square