Refrigerating an aftershave balm

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
95%

Refrigerating an aftershave balm

Post by 95% »

Gents, for the first time since I joined the forum, I've found a product with such superior skincare properties that I'm afraid it will be reformulated or discontinued. So I feel the need to stock up on it.

I'm referring to The Gentlemen's Refinery aftershave balm. The company, based in Las Vegas, has been around for just six or seven years, and its product line is carried by only a few of our familiar mail-order vendors. I never go to department stores these days and don't know if it is represented there. For all I know, the balm could be withdrawn from the market at any time.

If I hoard several bottles, I won't get around to them for two or three years. Would it be advisable to refrigerate them? The balm contains no preservatives. Its consistency is more like a milk than a cream. I think we have established elsewhere in the forum that it's safe, even desirable, to refrigerate colognes, but what about balms? Is there a danger that the molecular structure of the product would be affected in a harmful way, or would refrigeration extend its life? Any thoughts will be welcome.
Porter
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Refrigerating an aftershave balm

Post by Squire »

I would contact the company that made it for long term storage recommendations.
Regards,
Squire
95%

Post by 95% »

That's a worthwhile thought, Squire. I did see a Mantic video on aftershaves in which he recommends refrigerating them, though he wasn't talking specifically about balms. As I think about it more, it's hard to see how refrigeration (as opposed to freezing) could harm such a product.
Porter
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I don't see how refrigeration could harm it.
Regards,
Squire
Baronet

Post by Baronet »

Hi, I have actually refrigerated this product (both the unscented and the scented) for over 12 months with no problems at all. I did this due to buying in bulk as the shipping to Australia was expensive.
I have also done this with other balms and again seen no degradation in performance , consistency or scent in any of them.
Regards

Andrew
95%

Post by 95% »

Many thanks, Andrew. You've just provided a definitive answer to my question.
Porter
Baronet

Post by Baronet »

Your welcome, I agree as well its one of the best if not the best after shave balms around. I really like this product.
Regards

Andrew
FireDragon76

Post by FireDragon76 »

I refrigerate shave balms and cream for long term storage, I have for years. I keep a small collection and if I didn't do this, stuff would go bad eventually.

I have some Proraso that has been in the fridge for years and it is just like new.