One pass shave

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
kennethj

One pass shave

Post by kennethj »

I use a DE razor and I see a lot of guys here that do a 3 or 4 pass shave. I use a little more pressure and do a one pass shave. Been doing this for a long time and I find it is enough. I found that with a 2 pass shave, it was too close and I didn't have enough stubble for the next shave. Anyone else here just do a one pass shave ?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: One pass shave

Post by Squire »

I can and I have and the results were perfectly adequate for work or social occasions but for me it really takes a minimum of two passes to get the job done right.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

You bet! There are more than one way to skin a cat, pun intended. :) Some guys find it expedient to shave twice a day. Good thing we get to make our own rules as we go along. It's all good!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
pausted

Post by pausted »

I regularly do a single pass on my cheeks and then a second pass on my neck and jaw line, so I guess that's one and one half passes. :)
Best regards,

Basil
Old Sarge

Post by Old Sarge »

Most days I go with a one pass also. Every couple of days I go all out and go WTG/XTG/ATG.

If I try that any more frequent then every couple of days I pay dearly. 8)
Old Sarge's Aftershaves http://www.oldsargesaftershaves.com
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I change it up most of the time. 1, 2, or 3 pass. Ymmv.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Ive been a one pass shaver since day dot.......best type evahhhhhhhhhh :roll: :mrgreen:
de gustibus non est disputandum
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

My usual DE shave is what I would call a "modified" one pass, meaning that I do one, very thorough single pass, sort of WTG/XTG. Then, typically without re-lathering, I go back and do touch-up work on some of my trickier areas.

I find that "SMF Gold-Standard shave" -- i.e., 3 or 4 passes, with re-lathering in between -- is just too much for my sensitive skin, particularly with continual re-lathering of freshly-shaven skin.

I typically use a Red Tip Gillette, so I think a single pass captures more beard than some milder razors might. I find that a single-pass + touch up provides a DFS. As I say, it's a better method (for me) than a 4-pass shave, with all the attendant skin-reaction.
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

My routine is usually 3 passes and touch-ups with most DE's, with SE's and some Slants 2 1/2 passes are just right.
David

“Use any means to keep from being a genius, all means to become one.” John Cage
J T

Post by J T »

For the past 50yrs, one and done. Clean, close and comfortable.
~ Jack
PanamAl

Post by PanamAl »

BeatlesFan wrote:My usual DE shave is what I would call a "modified" one pass, meaning that I do one, very thorough single pass, sort of WTG/XTG. Then, typically without re-lathering, I go back and do touch-up work on some of my trickier areas.

I find that "SMF Gold-Standard shave" -- i.e., 3 or 4 passes, with re-lathering in between -- is just too much for my sensitive skin, particularly with continual re-lathering of freshly-shaven skin.

I typically use a Red Tip Gillette, so I think a single pass captures more beard than some milder razors might. I find that a single-pass + touch up provides a DFS. As I say, it's a better method (for me) than a 4-pass shave, with all the attendant skin-reaction.
That fits me to a "T" almost, change the razor (substitute Super Speed). You started to shave and when the shaving cream was gone, you were finished. A second pass would be considered shaving again. Now that I'm educated about shaving and know what can go wrong ... it does.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Welcome to SMF, PanamAl. Glad to see you jumping right into the fray and I look forward to seeing your future contributions.

I, too, have very sensitive skin and I don't shave daily, so I do a 2 1/2-pass shave with a mild razor. If I had to shave every day, I would need to reduce it to a one-pass shave.

- Murray
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hey Al, welcome aboard.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hi Al. Good first post. Looking forward to more from you!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

One pass and some touch-up along the chin and jawline usually does it for me. Depending on the blade/razor a second pass may be needed.
Rich
Julius_Rodman

Post by Julius_Rodman »

kennethj wrote:I use a DE razor and I see a lot of guys here that do a 3 or 4 pass shave. I use a little more pressure and do a one pass shave. Been doing this for a long time and I find it is enough. I found that with a 2 pass shave, it was too close and I didn't have enough stubble for the next shave. Anyone else here just do a one pass shave ?
My beard is too thick to get away with a one pass shave to my liking.

The first (sometimes second) pass helps for the pass against the grain.
BiffBuff

Post by BiffBuff »

I can't remember my last one-pass shave specifically, but I can almost guarantee that it was on some occasion when my alarm failed to go off. I will shave in the shower by feel when really rushed if I've got a multi-blade. I keep a disposable in a drawer near the shower for just such eventualities.

In common with many posters here, I'm shaving for pleasure most times, so I would feel cheated if I only did one pass. Shaving well, regardless of equipment, is a skill that I enjoy exercising. A typical daily shave for me involves 3 passes minimum.

Even after the third pass I will usually continue to re-lather and shave until the lather is quite gone.
disengage
brothers

Post by brothers »

I recently wanted to try out a newly acquired straight razor and wanted to test it, so I had a very enjoyable one-pass shave. The razor did what I'd hoped it would, and I got a clearly passable shave. I might just try that again!
Gary

Rockford

Post by Rockford »

Every once in a while I do a one pass shave to give my skin a rest. I can get by with a two pass for work and social occasions. My skin sometimes just needs a break!
"That'll be $200 a day plus shaving expenses."
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Every now and then I do a one pass shave on Sundays if I get up late. It is a passable shave for Sunday service while allowing my skin to recoup for the week's normal shave.

It's rare I do this as I'm an early riser, even on weekends, but it works a treat to allow the skin to heal for the normal rigor of the week.

Chris