MIA...my apologies

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

MIA...my apologies

Post by bernards66 »

Well, it's been awhile. At first I was absent because I'd had thumb surgery and couldn't type. After that had healed up a bit, well, I'd just fallen out of the habit of posting and my evenings seemed taken up with other things. Then too, I was away in London and Dublin for almost two weeks in Oct. ( more to follow on that of course ). But I'm fine and I'm sorry if I caused anyone concern. It's good to be back.
Regards,
Gordon
churchilllafemme

Re: MIA...my apologies

Post by churchilllafemme »

I'm glad you're back, Gordon. I look forward to your posts - and your thoughts and opinions - more than those of just about anyone else here.
_______
John
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hi Gordon. Welcome home!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Welcome home Gordon. I'm anxiously awaiting your assessment of London's shaving emporia and how it compares with mine. Dublin will be interesting too. My last trip there was prior to the big bust and prices for everything was sky high; hopefully they've come down to the new reality. I hope the thumb is fully mended; the curse of having opposable thumbs is that when they go out of commission you're pretty well screwed.
Bryan
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Top o' the morning big guy, good to see you.
Regards,
Squire
Gene

Post by Gene »

Welcome back - great to hear that you are OK!
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Welcome back, Gordon!
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Glad to have you back, Gordon, and relieved to know that you're okay!

- Murray
J T

Post by J T »

Good to see you back Gordon
~ Jack
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

Welcome back, and I hope you had a wonderful trip.

I know that you and I have discussed the problem of shaving kit and air travel before (which I have solved with a Schick Hydro 3 and either a brushless cream or a hard soap).

Just wondering how you made out with the TSA, or did you just take your DE kit and check luggage?
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Welcome back!

Chris
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Thank you all for your kind welcome-back. I did indeed, as usual, carry all my shaving kit in the checked through luggage. I might not do this if I had to travel regularly for business but on the occasional personal vacation, well, we were going to have checked baggage anyway so it's no problem. This time I actually took my favourite razor, the Gillette Model #58 and the 'Swede' already in it and one Personna HU blade which I put in mid-way through the trip. The rest consisted of Penhaligon's English Fern cologne and talc, Clinique PSH, a tube of Coate's Lavender cream and a cake of MWF bath soap as well as the Simpson D2 brush. Everything worked wonderfully throughout the trip. I didn't buy much actually, just cakes of the Taylor's Lime and DRH Lavender hard shave soaps and a tin of the Trumper's talc, and a tube of Trumpers Sandalwood shave cream. Of course, there WAS the matter of the tea...but, nevermind.
Regards,
Gordon
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

welcome back and ditto on all the sentiments / questions already posted

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Glad to have your back Gordon. Ireland, wow, I have mental pictures of rolling hills, green grass, white sheep, you know the rest
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I have images of a cozy pub and a pint of Guinness.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Sam & Squire, Both pictures are accurate enough. Plenty of fat white sheep in the Wicklow Mts. and plenty of cozy classic looking pubs in Dublin for sure. We were in them for the chow of course, not the stout; the former was excellent and they certainly had a wide selection of the latter.
Regards,
Gordon
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Gordon, did you visit the Book of Kells in the Old Library at Trinity College? We enjoyed this as well as the Guinness Storehouse where the Gravity Bar up top has a great view of the city, which you can enjoy whilst sipping a pint of G.
Bryan
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Gordon,

WELCOME BACK. I've been in a similar situation...

Life got in the way and it is hard to come back after a while.

Like you, I'm going to try harder to get back in the saddle.
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Oscar, Well it's good to know that I'm not the only one who experiences this from time to time. For some reason it IS a bit difficult to come back after one has been away for awhile...it's weird.

Bryan, No, unfortunately not. We went over to Trinity College but the line was simply too long as we had other things on our agenda that day. We did see some remarkable manuscripts in the British Library in London however. As to the Guinness brewery, well, neither of us drinks at all so it seemed a little...you know....inappropriate (?) to hang out there.
Regards,
Gordon
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace