I am new and just wanted to introduce myself.

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
brothers

Re: I am new and just wanted to introduce myself.

Post by brothers »

I understand the Weishi has a good reputation.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Bit of a light weight (they don't make 'em like they used to) and the single setting is on the milder side, still it's a solid design.
Regards,
Squire
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

Welcome to SMF, I hope you will like it here.

When I turned my back on cartridges I switched first to a DE razor, but have since moved on to straight razors.

My first razor was the Merkur Futur, which was not the commonly recommended choice for a DE beginner, but served me well enough and as I gained experience I gradually increased the settings without sacrificing comfort.
Eventually, I mustered the courage to try straights that quickly became my preferred choice.

There is plenty of information available on the Internet about traditional wet-shaving and once you have figured out how to remove the chaff from the wheat the Internet can be a gold mine.

Who knows where the journey will take you?
Once who have grown throughly comfortable with DE razors, you might even want to explore the next dimension and try straights...

I hope will enjoy the journey.

B.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

And I always thought the alternate dimensions were DE and straights. The dimension I live in would be the one with single edge razors included.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
ejdavis72

Post by ejdavis72 »

Brutus wrote:Welcome to SMF, I hope you will like it here.

When I turned my back on cartridges I switched first to a DE razor, but have since moved on to straight razors.

My first razor was the Merkur Futur, which was not the commonly recommended choice for a DE beginner, but served me well enough and as I gained experience I gradually increased the settings without sacrificing comfort.
Eventually, I mustered the courage to try straights that quickly became my preferred choice.

There is plenty of information available on the Internet about traditional wet-shaving and once you have figured out how to remove the chaff from the wheat the Internet can be a gold mine.

Who knows where the journey will take you?
Once who have grown throughly comfortable with DE razors, you might even want to explore the next dimension and try straights...

I hope will enjoy the journey.

B.
I own an antique straight razor from about the 1860's I tried shaving with a few times and cut myself pretty good with it, just don't think I'm quite ready yet.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

ShadowsDad wrote:And I always thought the alternate dimensions were DE and straights. The dimension I live in would be the one with single edge razors included.
My GEM FW has been an absolute revelation. I don't use it as a daily driver, but do use it most weekends when I have gone without shaving a day or two and am trying to get ahead of the morning rush to get myself to church meetings Sunday morning. It is shockingly good ...... and not terribly difficult to learn to use --- light touch and stiff fingers have been my saving grace ---- Many thanks, Bryan, for your tutelage. :-D
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

Brian has opened the eyes of a lot of guys who for one reason or another just never seriously considered one of the old Single Edge razors of yesteryear.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Thanks gents! It was my pleasure.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
ejdavis72

Post by ejdavis72 »

I got my Mergress back and it is absolutely perfect! I'm gonna use this for a while and maybe take another crack at the straight razor. I'll watch as many YouTube videos as possible first though :D