Thanks and Notes from a Newbie

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
TheDoctor

Thanks and Notes from a Newbie

Post by TheDoctor »

Evening all,

After reading SMF posts for a week and watching videos on SMF U, I just completed my first DE shave. SMF was a great resource and I must say a hearty "Thanks!" My first shave (2 passes, WTG and CG) was far closer than I ever got with an electric and less bloody than the cartridges I used long ago.

The gear (thanks for the recommendations!):
Razor: Gillette Tech
Blade: Crystal
Brush: Gerenic Badger
Soap: Proraso Green
Alum: Gentleman Jon 3.5 Alum Block
Post Shave: Clarins Moisture Balm

Thoughts:
The generic badger brush wasn't loaded enough with shaving soap and wasn't great. I'm going to spend more time loading my brush and lathering my face next time I'll replace with a Plisson brush when I can locate one. They're no longer on the L'occitane web site.

My angle was great for areas above and around my chin. My neck suffered from a few nicks, likely due to not enough shaving soap and improper angle.

Overall, the easiest, closest, and most comfortable shave I've had. I'll be back tomorrow.

Joby
Last edited by TheDoctor on Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Re: Thanks and Notes from a Newbie

Post by M6Classic »

Welcome to the forum and Bon Chance! If you really want a Plisson, see http://blaireauxplisson.com/en/6-shavin ... erway=desc They also have some hidden brushes on the site, http://blaireauxplisson.com/en/plexi-cr ... large_size, but note that this is not the unobtainable vintage high mountain white badger which one might reasonably expect at this price. For my money, well, for your money, actually, I would consider this brush if you want something really good and can spend so much money, http://blaireauxplisson.com/en/shaving- ... ndard_size. It is worth noting that prices outside the EU will be about 17% less because we do not pay VAT and note also that we get a great bargain shopping in Euros these days as the value of the Euro tanks against the dollar.

All of that said...and speaking as someone who has used Plisson brushes exclusively for more than forty years...I don't think that Plisson brushes on offer today are worth their enormous cost. They are wonderful, yes, some are even magical, but they're really too dear by quite a bit. Read some of the threads on the brush forum to learn about other very fine brushes on the market, especially Kent, which is what I would buy today, Simpson, Rooney, et alii.

Buzz
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hello Joby, and welcome to SMF. Plisson offers a number of synthetic brushes similar to the one that was recently sold by L'Occitane. The price ranges are quite modest compared to the prices of the higher end badger products that have made Plisson famous.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Welcome to SMF, Joby, and Congratulations on a great start!

The Gillette Tech is a very mild, yet very good razor. With such a mild razor, exact angle is that much more important to achieve a good cut of the whiskers. You're not as likely to scrape as you are with a more aggressive razor (which would have a wider gap between the blade and the safety bar). As a general rule of thumb with the Tech, I have found, when in doubt, to rock the razor a a tiny bit more towards the dome (lifting the safety bar farther from the face). With this in mind, the Tech is more easily mastered.

- Murray
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Good report Joby and welcome aboard. You may find the nicks on your neck were the result of haste, or pressure, and a bit of practice should resolve both those issues.
Regards,
Squire
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Welcome to the forum! You have a great start. We're here to help if you need us.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

Welcome to SMF, and congrats on a great start!
David

“Use any means to keep from being a genius, all means to become one.” John Cage
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Welcome to SMF. I would also commend your starting point.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?