Different method

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Different method

Post by fallingwickets »

I'm not sure where i got my shaving method from; instinct, film, books, seeing men get shaved at my grandfathers barber shop? Any one of them or none at all, but from the time I started shaving until just recently I went alternative sides starting on the ear side moving toward lip and chin. Once both sides were done, i shaved my lower lip, then chin, then lower top lip and then the top part of the upper lip. Lathered up again, clean brush and razor, wipe soap off with bounty paper towel and went forth into the world totally kissable :D :D

I use a very dry lather and about a week ago I started going to my chin/lip area right after doing the left and right side sideburn area. Once that was done i finished shaving what was left of my cheek area etc. I know that there is long standing belief that the chin and lip should be left for last, but I think that that method might be incorrect. It might all be becks induced imagination, but I am having *the* best shaves ever doing chin and lip (sort of)first. For gents like pete who find themselves scraped and nicked in the chin/lip area I recommend giving this technique a whirl.

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
slackskin

Re: Different method

Post by slackskin »

@ Clive -

Just because "it's always been done that way" doesn't mean it's the right or only way. I fall into that trap all the time.

Oh -- and by the way -- I won't kiss you!
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Clive I just follow what feels natural and can easily go back over any rough spots. People who recommend a specific pattern usually have something to sell.
Regards,
Squire
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

+1 what's already been written.

About the only "rules" I've found are basic technique, and some folks don't even follow those. If it works it works; who can argue with that?
Last edited by ShadowsDad on Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Clive, there are many roads to Rome. Travel the one most comfortable for you.

I can relate to your method as I was recently down that road for a year or more. Just in the last month though I went back to my old routine of decades past with a slight change and left the kisser area for last BUT before hitting it I lathered the area around my mouth and chin with wet lather (over the original lather). It worked better for me as the whiskers were well softened. This is better for me now because those whiskers are the most dense and hard of all the whiskers on my face.

During those past decades I wouldn't relather and sometimes the lather remaining there was too dry. Relathering with wet lather seems to have mitigated this and provided the cushion and slickness that sometimes disappeared.

It seems to work for me now but all roads are open for exploration.

Chris
brothers

Post by brothers »

Clive, you're right, we form our habits and then wonder why we ever did it that way to start with. It is refreshing to challenge ourselves from time to time, to try different means of getting good results, maybe even discovering improvements along the way.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I shave essentially the same way my Father did which works out well because we have much the same face.
Regards,
Squire
stagger

Post by stagger »

I learned to shave by watching my grandaddy and I shave much the way he did. Not really any method to it tho.
Regards,
Mark -
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Clive, I have a small goatee or rather rabbits butt so the chin itself never gets shaved. The jaw line and under the goatee and the neck area just under the chin where the two tendons make a valley are my nemesis. I have tried various schemes but always get back to down (wtg), up (atg), across to the left (again atg), then polish atg of the stubble, which is usually at a diagonal. I feel through a thin lather and shave accordingly.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

The more i get into my 'new' system the more (if thats even possible) Im enjoying it. I wish i had tried this earlier. One other benefit(?) I'm finding is that I'm actually getting a closer shave......I use one pass (wtg) only, but i guess theres a bit of overlap along the way....no other explanation for the closer shave

clive
brothers

Post by brothers »

It goes to show, there's usually a better way, and it doesn't hurt to try new stuff.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

We all know shaving is a YMMV. If it fits, wear it. No problem with that at all.
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I am a bit confused by your new method. If I understand it, you are doing a single pass shave with the central cheeks last. How do you get a close shave in only one pass? I have to do 3 passes and then polish by feel to get really close shaves.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Ive always been a one pass shaver, Pete but ive never gone for a bbs shave. Its a close shave, looks good, totally kissable :D :D but just not bbs. What the new method has done for me is made shaving the chin area less 'invasive'

clive
mrscruff

Post by mrscruff »

I dont think there is a "right" or "wrong", good for you !!!