How to sanitize used razor and brush?

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Kazaam

How to sanitize used razor and brush?

Post by Kazaam »

Any advice on this? I'm wondering how to sanitize a used brush and brass razor, if i even need to. Thanks for any advice!
ShadowsDad

Re: How to sanitize used razor and brush?

Post by ShadowsDad »

What are you trying to kill?

If it's hoof and mouth disease I'd say to try fire. Yes, at one time it was in imported horse hair brushes and folks died of it, hence the popularity of badger brushes even today, a century later.

For ordinary stuff, I just give it a good thorough washing in an industrial detergent (Planisol M) and a few days to dry completely. Then there is Barbicide or a good quaternary disinfectant if one is still squeamish about it.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

It's a good logical question. Old razors, DE or SE (not straight razors) get soaked in scalding hot water with a heavy mixture of kitchen detergent, soaking for several hours, then a scrubbing with Barkeeper's Friend and a toothbrush, then a couple of hours in the Marvi-Cide disinfectant. A good rinse and they're ready for use. Used brushes are something I haven't experienced, with only one exception, a Rooney Finest. I shampooed it well and let it dry for a couple of days and never gave it another thought.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

A little soap and water, rinse and you're good to go.

Chris
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I'm with the soap-and-water crew. I have never worried much about this.

A metal razor that is visibly "clean" when I get it does not seem to be a good harbor for harmful bacteria. Soap and water should be fine.

I haven't obtained many brushes used. This is where I am more cautious and I have only gotten used brushes from individuals that I knew.

- Murray
Gene

Post by Gene »

For me brushes are best done with shampoo and water - there is a video out there somewhere about cleaning brushes.

Razors, as long as they aren't gold, are easier for me. I use scrubbing bubbles to start, then boiling water for a few minutes then another go with the scrubbing bubbles. Maybe an alcohol soak, too, if it's an older razor with some visible crud.

Gold plated razors, and the Schick Krona, require a different touch. Scrubbing Bubbles and alcohol, and no boiling.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
Kazaam

Post by Kazaam »

I guess the main question at this point is the brush, then. Personally some antibacterial soap and hot water seems fine to me.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I didn't deliberately state it, but I discussed sanitizing a brush. I might not use Barbicide on it, but a Quat' would be OK.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I've heard that you need to be very careful of the timing if you put a brush in Barbicide, or it will turn the brush green.

- Murray
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I got a bottle of Barbicide at our Sally's beauty supply and used it on used brushes and razors that I bought. First a rinse in dish detergent mix. Then make the Barbicide solution per the label and put it in a jar tall enough to hold the razor or brush. For razors I just drop it in. For brushes I used a support that kept the disinfectant below the handle and soaked for the minimum stated on the label. Rinsed well and washed again in dish detergent. If you are serious about disinfecting you can think up a way to do the job.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

With so many pathogens out there, I personally think that we should all be aware of the disinfection issue. I have no way of knowing whether anyone has gotten sick this way, but given that the razor will come in contact with an open cut if one nicks oneself (thereby introduce potentially introducing something undesirable into the bloodstream), caution seems to me to be in order.

Barbicide sounds like a great idea for a brush, and that's what I did with my one and only used brush.

For razors, this is what I have typically done:

* Carefully scrub and remove any buildup, so that the surface is visibly clean.
* Boil for 20 minutes, possibly even in my pressure cooker (which somewhat simulates an autoclave, though possibly doesn't reach as high a temp., not sure).
* Soak in a bleach solution.
* Spray thoroughly with Lysol and let it sit until it dries.

I figure very few dangerous nasties will get through that regimen. Is it overkill? Maybe, but it makes me feel confident about shaving with a "previously enjoyed" razor.
greatwall7

Post by greatwall7 »

For my shaving brush, I use luke-warm water. My straight razor is kept sanitized by using store brand 100% alcohol. I first rinse it thoroughly and then rub the alcohol solution on it using a cotton ball. To make sure I am the only one using the razor, it is kept in my bedroom, since I have friends that visit all the time.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Alcohol will kill anything that could harm you. That's what my surgeons use.
Regards,
Squire
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Greatwall7, welcome to SMF!

- Murray
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Yes GW, welcome aboard.
Regards,
Squire
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

A shaving buddy once pointed out to me that a soak in Listerine does a pretty good job of disinfection, too.

- Murray
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

greatwall7 wrote: To make sure I am the only one using the razor, it is kept in my bedroom, since I have friends that visit all the time.
Wow, in my thirty years of using a straight I have never once encountered anyone who would willingly attempt to use my straight. The one time anyone ever used it, it was my brother-in-law who had a mustache and only needed to clean up the corners of his mouth below it. He had no choice to use anything else at the time because I was the only male in the house and that's all I had. He did OK with no bleeding but I don't think he was sold on it.

I also keep my blade in the bedroom in a closet high on the shelf (nowadays in an old wooden soap box). I've always had children around me and this has proven to be the best place to keep it out of the hands of inquisitive little ones.

As a side note, my oldest son is now two years old and he likes to be with me when I shave. He has his own brush (my very first) that he pretends to lather with and he wants to use the blade but, of course, I don't let him anywhere near it. When all done he needs to have a little aftershave just like Dad. So the 'high and away out of sight' policy of keeping the blade will, once again, be proven to be prudent.

Chris
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

When my first child got to be about 3 years old I gave up my straight because of that. Switched to a Gillette at first, then got a Remington electric. I got rid of it when a head wore out and it gave me a bad nick. Back to DE's for a while and saw the first Stainless blades revolutionize wet shaving. Then came cheap disposables which I used until I joined this club.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
brothers

Post by brothers »

The tips regarding soaking a brush in alcohol or Lysterine are worth far more than the price of admission. That's why guys come to SMF.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

I'm a bit late to this thread but here is what I have been doing to my brushes for the last 6 or 7 years. Got this from Em and Em's Place. The link to the video explaining her technique for cleaning (sanatizing) a badger brush is well worth the few minutes it takes to watch it.

Cleaning a Badger Shave Brush
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum