BBS Holy Grail achieved ~ at what cost?

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
BiffBuff

BBS Holy Grail achieved ~ at what cost?

Post by BiffBuff »

For starters I love DE shaving, and I don't at all regret leaving my old Gillette Atra in the rear-view mirror. However, I read a post or two in the cartridge razor section, trying to find what people recommend for TSA compliant razors (damned hard to find BiC METAL disposables anymore) and got interested in some threads regarding Schick Hydro and Gillette Fusion. I do remember how easy it was with those multi-blades to whip around my face - very little care, caution, or thought required.

Anyway, I saw Fusion disposables in a two pack at the store so, on impulse, I bought them. Today I shaved with a Mühle R41 and, just before calling it good, I took a few swipes with the Fusion (upper lip ATG and a little underchin buffing). Only one word for the result:

WOW!

As many here will testify, the R41 is no slouch for closeness, but the finishing touch with the five-bladed creature was like buffing smooth marble - really extraordinary! I know there are some here that might see this as blasphemy, but I simply can't find fault with success this complete.

I doubt very much that I will make this a regular practice, but it's very nice to know that I can get a true BBS anytime if I finish up with the multi-blade.

signed,
shameless in Seattle
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anybody else got a deep dark secret? Confession is good for the soul..........
disengage
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: BBS Holy Grail achieved ~ at what cost?

Post by Squire »

Oh hardly blasphemy, or even slightly worthy of criticism for that matter. Of course multi blade razors work well for many, but razor and blade choices are just part of the over all traditional shaving experience.
Regards,
Squire
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

ditto on what squire said

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I, for one, am one of those heretics, who after many years of shaving with a DE have gone to a multi blade cartridge. I have not looked back. One man's meat is another man's poison.
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

It really is all good, especially if it makes you happy.
But some're better'n others.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Seamaster

Post by Seamaster »

BiffBuff wrote:~ at what cost?
Indeed. What does one of those five blade carts run you, like a hundred times the cost of a DE blade?
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

Intriguing thought.

Yesterday and today I did a comparison using a (Sensor clone) cartridge and my standard DE razor, a Mühle R101 (black handle R41) with Astra blade, instead of one of my straights.
Not surprisingly, cartridge and DE shaves were quicker.

Using similar stretching techniques and the three passes that I use when shaving with a straight, I cannot say that the shave with the cartridge razor felt any smoother or closer.
If anything, after the cartridge shave the skin felt more "raw" throughout the day, and this morning's DE shave was smoother and more comfortable.

Of course, this was based on three passes.
If someone uses minimal skills, minimal preparation and a single pass, the cartridge shave might well have the edge, but this is just not how I start my day.

It was a sound endorsement for my DE razor though, as in half the time I got results that are for all practical purposes indistinguishable from a straight shave.
Where the DE razor really shines though is around chin and jawline where it negotiates the tight radii almost effortlessly when compared with a straight.

Not having used my DE for some time, I felt actually quite good. :)

B.
Last edited by Brutus on Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Brutus wrote: It was a sound endorsement for my DE razor though, as in half the time I got results that are for all practical purposes indistinguishable from a straight shave.
Where the DE razor really shines though is around chin and jawline where it negotiates the tight radii almost effortlessly when compared with a straight.
Greater control is the principal reason why I settled on the DE as my shaving tool of choice
Regards,
Squire
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

If someone uses minimal skills, minimal preparation and a single pass, the cartridge shave might well have the edge,
:D :D :D :D

thats me you're talking about LOL, but the only thing wrong is that the cart doesnt come close. :lol: :lol:

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

Finding the one cartridge that gives me better results than others, at least in my case, was an unanticipated bit of good luck.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

I travel frequently by air, and I have been pleased to have discovered that the Schick Hydro 3 works well for me.

I did a comparison of double edge versus the Hydro in another posting, and concluded that there are advantages and disadvantages to each -- probably no absolute winner.

For myself, I rarely use a cartridge razor at home. My 1956 red tip, matched with a Personna hospital use blade is just fine for daily shaving in terms of closeness and comfort. Moreover, I simply enjoy shaving with it more, and of course there is the factor that the blades are only a fraction of the cost of any cartridge.

Anyway my bottom line is this: Schick Hydro for shaving while traveling; Gillette Red tip (and sometimes other double edge razors) for use at home.

I can get a great shave from either, and the cartridge is perfect for traveling (TSA Compliant) whereas the double edge suits my preferences more for daily use at home.