Coconut Oil as Pre Shave Oil

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
BeatlesFan

Coconut Oil as Pre Shave Oil

Post by BeatlesFan »

In the past, on the few occasions that I've tried pre-shave oils, I haven't found much benefit.

Lately, however, I have been hearing great things about the benefits to skin care of coconut oil.

Consequently, over the weekend, I tried a dab of coconut oil as a pre-shave, and then lathered over that (I used T&H almond shave cream).

Coconut oil's consistency is somewhere between peanut butter and dairy butter. And, when I say "a dab" I mean just a sliver, such that it covered a corner of my finger tip.

I showered and washed my face prior to shaving (as per usual for me), then made the lather in a bowl. Before applying the lather, however, I liquefied the coconut oil by rubbing it in the palms of my hands, and then worked it into my beard for a minute or so. Then I just dabbed on the lather (so as not to wash away the coconut oil).

PROS: The coconut oil was in no way irritating to me (and I have fussy skin). It was very moisturizing. It is somewhat heavy, but it rinses off reasonably well and doesn't feel sticky. My face felt soft and certainly extremely well-hydrated at the end of the shave.

CONS: Well, I just didn't think the shave was any better. It was also just one more thing to have to deal with. Plus, for me, I don't think I actually WANT to be so ultra-moisturized every time I shave. It wasn't exactly "greasy" but it my skin did feel, I dunno, maybe a little less "light and clean" or something.

BOTTOM LINE: I think my prior opinions about pre-shave oil still stand, despite this experiment. The coconut oil was OK, no harm done, etc., but I don't see myself changing my daily shaving routine to include it anytime soon. I might consider using coconut oil for an occasion when my face is extra dry (shaving the day after I am out skiing all day comes to mind). But not for me as a daily thing.
brothers

Re: Coconut Oil as Pre Shave Oil

Post by brothers »

It was certainly worth trying. Thanks for posting about it. I think I'm with you on this subject. Probably not worth the extra effort in my case, as well.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Coconut Oil as Pre Shave Oil

Post by Squire »

I no longer use any pre shave treatments because they didn't improve my shave and added an unnecessary step.
Regards,
Squire