Becker Brush Scuttle

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
churchilllafemme

Becker Brush Scuttle

Post by churchilllafemme »

I just got this small brush scuttle from Robert Becker. I have been using the double-walled World Market gravy boat (on the right in the image) to soak my brush in warm water before lathering, and I thought the small brush scuttle would be quite good for alternating with the gravy boat. I know that some believe brush soaking is not necessary, but I like to do it, and I also have used the gravy boat as a brush scuttle when I face lather. This way I have a backup in case I drop or ding one of them. The brush scuttle is 3.5" tall, with an inside diameter of 2" at the bottom and 3" at the top, and a depth of 2.5". Its water reservoir capacity is 10 ounces, and its walls are thick, so it should keep the water nice and warm.
_______
John
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Becker Brush Scuttle

Post by Squire »

Interesting John, hadn't thought of using a gravy boat but can see how it would work. Actually brush soaking did work for me in the past but I've set that aside having become somewhat minimalist in my shaving practices.
Regards,
Squire
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

John, I find the gravy boat more elegant, but it looks like it might not hold as much hot water to heat the center. I've never seen a double-walled gravy boat, but that one just begs use as a scuttle.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Mr. Becker's work is beautiful. I really like that scuttle.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
mlb549

Post by mlb549 »

I have a Robert Becker scuttle and just love it. It's the 20 ounce model and just the perfect size as my smallest brush is a 24 knot.
Mike
nwohio

Post by nwohio »

I have a Robert Becker scuttle, the large one. I use it daily all year round and love it. I just like warm lather on my face. I see that he has a few new ones listed on flea bay.
Mike
churchilllafemme

I can report that both the scuttle and the gravy boat work well at keeping the water warm for the pre-shave brush soak. Since I like both, I alternate them each week. And I also use them for a final brush soak after I have rinsed out the lather following my shave.
_______
John
brothers

Post by brothers »

John, the gravy boat seems to have been an unexpected success for you. I see that you have a practice of soaking your brushes after rinsing out the lather following the shave. What do you consider to be the primary advantages of this practice.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
churchilllafemme

brothers wrote:John, the gravy boat seems to have been an unexpected success for you. I see that you have a practice of soaking your brushes after rinsing out the lather following the shave. What do you consider to be the primary advantages of this practice.
The final soak is just the last step in my rinsing process. I put the brush into clean warm water for a couple minutes and then look for any floating soap scum. If there is none, I squeeze the brush dry and hang it up. If there is any scum, I swish the brush a little more and then replace the water and let it sit again.
_______
John
brothers

Post by brothers »

That makes sense to me. Good idea.
Gary