New Technique, the "Richard the Third"

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
BeatlesFan

New Technique, the "Richard the Third"

Post by BeatlesFan »

I've always had an especially difficult time at/below the corner of my jaw, more or less "south" (and a little inboard too) of the ear lobe.

Manic59 has a great video about addressing this (and other problem spots) -- see around the 5:00 minute mark. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFdEpVJ_gEU

I've discovered a little trick that has been very helpful to me, and I decided to pass it along.

Many of you may remember from your history or your Shakespeare class that King Richard III (of England) was reputed to have had skeletal problems such that one shoulder was much higher than the other. (Digression: they recently uncovered his mortal remains, and discovered that Richard did in fact have a misshapen spine.)

Consequently, I (flippantly) call this little technique the Richard the Third, because it involves lifting/shrugging-and-holding the shoulder on the side you're shaving, at the same time following Mantic's suggestion of lowering your head. So you sort of "scissors" your head to the shoulder on that side. (I sometimes rest the hand on that side on the sink and push up and hold, thus getting a little steadying effect while I hold up that shoulder).

I'm right-handed, but I sometimes go so far as to transfer the razor to my left hand while I do this shoulder-shrug thing on my right side.

Anyway, for me, in terms of flattening out that problem area and allowing for a close DE cut, it's made a big difference. This is one spot where (for me) the DE has struggled to compete with a cartridge in terms of ease/closeness/comfort, but this technique has pretty well placed the DE shave on a par with the cartridge.

If you experience problems at/below the jawline corner, maybe this'll help. Give it a whirl!
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: New Technique, the "Richard the Third"

Post by Squire »

Lifting and flattening is the key, or that's how I do it. Good thing we're not being watched.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

This is apparently another trouble spot I never realized existed before. Ah well, ignorance is bliss!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

Yesterday I took a quick peek at myself to see what I was doing with my head when I was shaving that area mentioned above. This is apparently something I've been doing my entire shaving life without any conscious awareness.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444