Personna 74 - An Update

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Gene

Personna 74 - An Update

Post by Gene »

I was thinking about blades the last couple of days, and realized I had not seen any discussion on the venerable Personna 74 Tungsten coated blade lately.

I just took a quick troll on eBay - and was stunned. People are asking $6.00 to $7.00 per blade for these things.

Yikes - that's a lot of money! Always wanted to try them, but not at that price...I have too many blades to use now that are fine for me, including a decent supply of German Wilks that I bought from Gareth a long time ago. I used a fresh one yesterday and it was just fine - even on a two-day old beard.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Personna 74 - An Update

Post by Squire »

Gene I like the old 74s, which were very good, but I refuse to pay collector prices for anything.
Regards,
Squire
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

Squire wrote:Gene I like the old 74s, which were very good, but I refuse to pay collector prices for anything.
An example of how being hard headed can be a virtue.
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

A couple (few?) ears ago a seller on ebay was offering the 74 blades for a reasonable price. He had a limit of one or two carts. I bought the limit and later noticed that he was still offering them so I got another limit. Only blade I use in my Schick injector. Use it about once in a week or two in my rotation. Get lots of shaves from one. Still have one cartridge plus one blade left. I'll not get more at that price.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I'm not generally in awe of vintage blades, but I am of Personna 74s. These blades are the best blades, in every way, that I have ever tried. They are very sharp, they are very smooth, and they last at least twice as long as any other blade in my experience. I have a very limited supply of these and I would like to get some more, but, like Squire, I'm not willing to pay the prevailing prices for them.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Even though I never managed to locate any of the DE '74s when they were not too rare about 6 or 7 years ago, I don't really feel any sense of deprivation or loss. I do have a few injector '74s but don't use them any more. I'm sure they were/are simply the best blade ever made, though. It was a shame they didn't survive for whatever reasons.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

They sure are great blades but I think they are too good for me. They make shaving way too easy. Not even fun.
Rich