Razor monogamy

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
BiffBuff

Razor monogamy

Post by BiffBuff »

I've got about four or five DE razors in my rotation (harum) just now, with the occasional oddball thrown in to keep things interesting. I'm also reading posts here & there about SE razors, and straights & strops & hones, O MY!

I know there's gotta be some folks out there who are monogamous -- every shave just the same as all the others.
I guess most of them are unlikely to be reading this post, but some of you must "pledge allegiance" to just one.

Any thoughts for us swingers about settling down with the right razor?
disengage
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Razor monogamy

Post by Squire »

I suggest you put away such silly thoughts.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

If you're lucky, you'll never have to get bored. For years before Al Gore invented the internet, and before SMF invented --- SMF, I used a Schick Krona every day for decades. It's now worn out and resting. Meanwhile, I'm continuously exploring and enjoying those that work best for me, and there are nearly a dozen of those. Switching out daily or weekly, etc., is a daily joy. Never a boring shave.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

There are a few who are true to one razor, but I can't name any of them off the top of my head.

Now more than one wife, that would get expensive real fast, and who wants to hear the associated complaints. But razors? Not expensive, and I have yet to hear a complaint.

I have stopped buying razors and will keep the existing gaggle of them. I realized that I had my shave nirvana long ago, hence no more razors required.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

ShadowsDad wrote:Now more than one wife, that would get expensive real fast
Oh, yes, that's true, even one at a time.
Regards,
Squire
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I'm pretty close to making my Mergress the only razor I use. At lowest setting it is the best combination of mild and effective that I have found.

For me, trying all of the razors I did was about finding the right one, and I think I've found it. That doesn't mean I won't break out another occasionally, but I don't have a rotation.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

At the present time, if I should decide to severely curtail my razor choices, I could easily live with one or more of these 4 razors: Darwin Deluxe Stainless; Mongoose Polished Stainless; Eclipse Red Ring; and surprisingly, the Gillette Super Adjustable short handle. I can't entertain the thought of giving up straight razors. I have no current reason to quit using straight razors.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
pausted

Post by pausted »

I find myself using my Merkur gold plated 34 most of the time. It never fails to give me a close and comfortable shave. But, it is comforting to know that there are several others in the drawer in case I need them. :D
Best regards,

Basil
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Basil I tend to use the same one(s) for extended periods of time but like the idea of others in reserve.
Regards,
Squire
pausted

Post by pausted »

Me too, Squire.
Best regards,

Basil
SnafuJack

Post by SnafuJack »

I've used a Futur since 2006 ..... 8)
~ Jack
I'm not lazy, I just enjoy doing nothing.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Finally! Someone with a monogamous relationship with a razor who we can attempt to corrupt into razor swingin'!

:D
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Julius_Rodman

Post by Julius_Rodman »

ShadowsDad wrote:Finally! Someone with a monogamous relationship with a razor who we can attempt to corrupt into razor swingin'!

:D

Alright, I stopped my 2 year devoted Slant use, started up with a Gillette long Sivertone adjustable safety for the first time in 5 years?

Not bad...
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm experiencing a sea change of a minor nature. This involves one particular razor that seems to be "whuppin' the ass off of" some other really good razors that previously seemed to be the cat's meow of double/single edge razors. Two of the top 7 have been cleaned and put away, and there are about 4 others (not counting straight razors) that are on the chopping block. I can easily see razor monogamy as a possibility on the horizon. This is a slow process, but thankfully the whiskers keep growing back every day, so there's no end in sight. No hurry! :)
Gary

BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

If I had to pick just one razor for which I would forsake all others, it would be my 1956 Gillette Red Tip. Every time I use it, I'm actually amazed at how it just seems to be custom-designed for my beard and skin (it wasn't of course, but please allow me this little fantasy).

In fact, I only really use 4 razors: my '56, a Gillette Super Adjustable, a Gillette Aristocrat, and (when traveling, as I frequently do) a Schick Hydro 3.

That's it. Over the years I've tried perhaps 6 or eight others, but I feel no need to keep them in rotation. Those other razors have drifted off to my brother, or my sons, or the far recesses of various shelves and drawers. But there's no way I'd ever permanently bench my current 3 DE's. Yes, I will continue to experiment with other razors from time to time, but I don't see myself ever dropping the current line-up altogether.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Perhaps monogamy simply isn't in my nature.
Regards,
Squire
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Squire wrote:Perhaps monogamy simply isn't in my nature.
Variety is the spice of life!

Chris
brothers

Post by brothers »

One at a time!
Gary

Brutus

Post by Brutus »

Better is the enemy of good (Voltaire) - even if it involves vintage (me).

I would not dare to stand in the way of evolution (overpriced cartridge razors excluded).

B.
Last edited by Brutus on Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

EL Alamein wrote:Variety is the spice of life!
Chris
Enough spice has found me I don't need to go looking for any.
Regards,
Squire