Razor monogamy

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Razor monogamy

Post by Squire »

nicodemus38 wrote:whats wrong with having a single razor that you like to use?
Not a darn thing.
Regards,
Squire
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

im breaking with it soon as my Gillette arrives. cant wait.

I know it will be naughty but as long as I use my current razor for a 2nd pass I think ill be ok. right?
StGeorge
I'm not worthy

Post by StGeorge »

For me I've never found anything better than my old '38 Gillette Aristocrat, it's so good that I bought another one as a spare. Nothing shaves me so comfortably as this razor, not even close, and I've tried many others. There is only one other razor I'd be interested in using again that I've had before and that's the short handled Merkur slant bar. I had one before which was taken from a communal shower block after I left it there by mistake. I got great two pass shaves with that bad boy and I'll probably get another one but that's it. If I could only ever use one razor again I'd be happy with the Aristocrat.

Interestingly it's an incredibly mild razor and I have a tough beard, but it just works, I have no idea why it suits me so well. Other than treating myself to another slant bar for odd occasions I think the secret is to find your favourite razor and just stick with it. I enjoy the shaves just as much every time and never have to worry about irritation or nicks, other than the slant most other razors just never do a good job for me personally so I'm done trying, I'm happy.
Tony

667....neighbour of the beast.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Tony, those '38 Aristocrats are great. They look cool, and they shave, as you said, very well indeed.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
StGeorge
I'm not worthy

Post by StGeorge »

brothers wrote:Tony, those '38 Aristocrats are great. They look cool, and they shave, as you said, very well indeed.
MIne still has it's original battered old leather box and blade holder, which I think is great. As a shaver it's peerless for me and it will always be my go to razor. I even tried the silver English version (Which I think looks even better) but for some reason the Gold US version is a superior shaver, I have no idea why.
Tony

667....neighbour of the beast.
BPman

Post by BPman »

StGeorge wrote:...but for some reason the Gold US version is a superior shaver, I have no idea why.

They were made by elves. :P :lol: :wink:
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Tony, these were mass produced items and I have read about variability between specific examples of Gillette razors. Though these variations fell, at least in theory, within certain tolerances, the differences can be easily discerned.The issue may be more a matter of finding an example of your desired razor that has the characteristics you desire. This variability can make finding a razor that works for you much more unpredictable in its outcome, unfortunately.

- Murray
preidy

Post by preidy »

I never thought of it that way. I always thought that 4 times a month (7 razor rotation) was more than adequate attention. Nuts! I just remembered I have an 8th on the way crossing the pond now (1930 NEW SC) arriving new week. Man that really messes up the math.