Razor monogamy

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Re: Razor monogamy

Post by M6Classic »

Since 1973 I have only used the same Merkur travel set rebranded for Hoffritz. It comes in the hammered stainless case with a blue velvet lining. I am considering having the now-brass handle re-chromed, Those who have been around here for a while certainly know the story of my two Plisson HMW plexis.

Buzz
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Buzz I can't read that without laughing. You certainly take the prize for stick to it tiveness or whatever we're calling it nowadays.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Buzz, I was also stuck in that same rut for too many decades, only one razor (which I still have) and no brush. Even my dad had a brush and a mug of soap forever, but not me, I went for the modern aerosol lather. I must say, I never hated shaving or the simple kit. On the contrary, I loved it, and still do. Just different stuff and more of it. I've even used aerosol lather twice in the past couple of months. No biggie! PS: I still only use one article at a time, funny how that remains true year in and year out. Now I just have options.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

To review...there is nothing minimalist about my kit. The two brushes I used in sequence were a Plisson Plexi HMW #20 from c. 1972 to c. 1985, after which I purchased the Plisson Plexi HMW #24 that I still use. All along I have been using my old stock of Trumpers Sandalwood, circa 1980 at which time I bought a whole carton for some reason. I still have in reserve one unopened puck of tallow based No. 89 from about 1972. My kit may be old and well used, but it certainly hits all the luxury notes for me!

Buzz
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Elegant simplicity Buzz.
Regards,
Squire
celar36

Post by celar36 »

M6Classic wrote:To review...there is nothing minimalist about my kit. The two brushes I used in sequence were a Plisson Plexi HMW #20 from c. 1972 to c. 1985, after which I purchased the Plisson Plexi HMW #24 that I still use. All along I have been using my old stock of Trumpers Sandalwood, circa 1980 at which time I bought a whole carton for some reason. I still have in reserve one unopened puck of tallow based No. 89 from about 1972. My kit may be old and well used, but it certainly hits all the luxury notes for me!

Buzz

This is very fine set up you have and I fully understand why you dont need anything else. This brushes are second to none and I miss good quality stuff from GFT/Floris/Yardley

Lately I manage to score vintage Floris JF AS and is nothing like new one. New one is just ......

Your way of shaving is what I head for. Jared put this into my mind. I am jealous to be honest! But I am getting close:)

Question what blades you use in that razor?
Jack
M6Classic

Post by M6Classic »

celar36 wrote:

This is very fine set up you have and I fully understand why you dont need anything else. This brushes are second to none and I miss good quality stuff from GFT/Floris/Yardley

Lately I manage to score vintage Floris JF AS and is nothing like new one. New one is just ......

Your way of shaving is what I head for. Jared put this into my mind. I am jealous to be honest! But I am getting close:)

Question what blades you use in that razor?
Actually, I am not picky about my blades and they don't seem to make much if any difference in the quality of my shaves. I buy whatever looks attractive in the blades display at Colonial Drug in Newton, Massachusetts. Right now I am working through a stack of Merkurs. My son in college keeps asking for Sharks...he uses a very aggressive razor...and he is more discerning than I am.

Buzz

Buzz
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Kids are like that. My son is very selective about what he pilfers from my stash.
Regards,
Squire
celar36

Post by celar36 »

I settled on one blade Triton R3. I have stash of Swedes and bit of Light Brigade which I use from time to time.

I always like to hear what people use as it so varies:)
Jack
veer2000

Post by veer2000 »

I am using an R41 for the last three years, initially I would stray occasionally but now all the other razors have been packed away.
I would say just the R41 for the last two years. I have very limited time to myself and this gets the job done in the shortest time.
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

M6Classic wrote:To review...there is nothing minimalist about my kit. The two brushes I used in sequence were a Plisson Plexi HMW #20 from c. 1972 to c. 1985

Buzz

Hi Buzz. The first brush was used up until around 2005 I seem to recall. Then the second one replaced that, no?

As to razor fidelity; this is the 'General' section, but what the heck, I use a 1953 Gillette President paired with vintage U.S. or English blades. I really don't need anything else. That is, until I pick-up my Eversharp Hydromagic injector with vintage + platinum blades. I really think these modes of shaving were about as optimum as it ever got. Both entirely available for the 'every' man of the time, too.

Fitch
M6Classic

Post by M6Classic »

F.W. Fitch wrote:
M6Classic wrote:To review...there is nothing minimalist about my kit. The two brushes I used in sequence were a Plisson Plexi HMW #20 from c. 1972 to c. 1985

Buzz"

Hi Buzz. The first brush was used up until around 2005 I seem to recall. Then the second one replaced that, no?

Fitch
Quite right, Fitch, my error is that I estimated the vintage of my #24 HMW to be 1985. I did indeed purchase it in 2005 as NOS from Colonial Drug when Plisson announced they were completely out of the classic HMW badger.

Buzz
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

That is what I had remembered. Thank you for confirming. I just didn't want you to short change that workbadger by 20 years. Now that is getting your money's worth and then some! The overall presentation of those vintage HMW jobs, is simply breathtaking. Here is my vintage #18 in Euro. I can live with the slight downgrade of white collar and logo.
Attachments
$T2eC16R,!ygFIi+k7D92BSUYBh4b7!~~60_57.JPG
$T2eC16R,!ygFIi+k7D92BSUYBh4b7!~~60_57.JPG (565.89 KiB) Viewed 6433 times
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

That's an impressive knot, Fitch. All hail the plexi. I was lucky enough to try something similar a while back and the experience was transcendent.
Ron
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

Yes, HAIL, PEPE! That picture is a bit "in your face", but look at that hair grade! Now, let's talk about cartons of Trumper shave refills. That little reference peaked my curiosity. 12, 8 refills made up a carton? Well, I have yet to use the above, but I have 8 tallow refills of the Rose... I have put aside for it's sole use. I want a damn carton though...
M6Classic

Post by M6Classic »

My Plisson experience is less than vast...is Our Good Doctor still around?...but it tells me that the difference between the vintage EW and vintage HMW badger was entirely cosmetic. The HMW had the brilliant white tips and the EW only slightly less so, while their performance was impossible to tell differentiate. Of course there was the small matter of the difference in price...

Buzz
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

Quite right, Buzz. This thread desperately needs some HMW scans from drP. Another person, entirely unrelated, is Dr. Moss and his photography. I wish he would upload a SOTD pic (every so often) as I love his different ideas regarding the daily practice of shaving. Then wrap it all up with a final summation from Gordon. WHERE ART THOU?
Julius_Rodman

Post by Julius_Rodman »

Under my breaking of monogomy from my Slant....

I tried the Futur for a few weeks after letting it sit there for 4 years. It is too wild and open a blade exposure for me and my tremor/clumsiness/preoccupied mind and I cut my hands a few times, fortunately all was superfluous. Also the Polsilver blades surprisingly did not work smoothly in the Futur. It's a more dangerous weapon after getting used to a Slant.

I've stoked up the Merkur Long Barber Pole since mid-July. This has been the best razor for Feather blades for my DE years, could swear I had a Dorco or other mild blade in there.

A nice surprise after feeling a little cut and jaded from the Futur.
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

whats wrong with having a single razor that you like to use?

That bond you can build up with using just one razor is wonderful. who wants to risk having to get up at 4 am and having to shave and accidentally grabbing a slant instead of the Gillette tech they've used for the last year straight?
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hi Nic. The vast majority have and use replaceable carts throughout their shaving life. The old school shavers (there are many) who use permanent safety razors with replaceable blades are largely a silent minority, and most of them only use one razor, and for sure, there's nothing wrong with that. Not a darn thing. All of the above probably aren't following the shaving forums. Those of us here have an interest in the variety of shaving products of all types, and because of that interest we tend to explore a bit. Just like the other interests we pursue for example, cameras, cars, women, writing instruments, cooking, motorcycles, firearms, postage stamps, coins, you get the picture. It's just a bit of harmless fun that contributes a few moments of passing enjoyment during the daily task of facial hair removal.
Last edited by brothers on Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444