Second Shave - Disaster

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
jww
Woolly Bully

Re: Second Shave - Disaster

Post by jww »

Welcome to SMF Idnative.

+1 to what everyone else said!
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
mustang_john

Post by mustang_john »

fallingwickets wrote:welcome to smf......i echo gary's comment......stick with one setup for a while and take it slowly......Im guessing you were aiming for a bbs shave? Not worth it!!! :D

clive
Hmm, been wondering that for some time, I just find it very hard to stop unless my face is as smooth as a Kashmir codpiece, am I on my own here or do others feel the same?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

You're on your own. Nah, just kidding, a thing worth doing is worth doing well.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

mustang_john wrote:
fallingwickets wrote:welcome to smf......i echo gary's comment......stick with one setup for a while and take it slowly......Im guessing you were aiming for a bbs shave? Not worth it!!! :D

clive
Hmm, been wondering that for some time, I just find it very hard to stop unless my face is as smooth as a Kashmir codpiece, am I on my own here or do others feel the same?
My notion is that the beard prep, the razor/blade, and the soap/cream all contribute to a BBS, as well as the technique and the routine. It took a long time to narrow it all down to the daily possibility of a BBS shave. For many years I thought I could do it with my one and only razor and whatever grocery store blade and canned foam if I just went over it repeatedly, only to be perpetually frustrated.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Dittos Gary. It's not something to be chased after. It's something coalesces into being all on it's own when the person brings all the pieces together.

Just relax gents, study your craft, and eventually you won't be able to stop a BBS from happening. Many times going slow is the fastest way to get to a goal. It might not make sense but I assure you that it's true.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

This thread has a life of its own even tho idnative hasn't posted since 6/12.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
mustang_john

Post by mustang_john »

Well I tried a one pass shave yesterday and visually it looked quite presentable.
But the missus was not impressed, said it felt like a Porcupine :roll:
So, back to the normal routine it was tonight, I take my time, about 15 - 20 mins from start to finish, but it's MY time :)