Second Shave - Disaster

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
ldnative

Second Shave - Disaster

Post by ldnative »

Hi guys, I had my first DE shave three nights ago with a Merkur 34C, Astra SP plus Prorasso red preshave and soap using a boar brush. All went "smoothly" except for a few little patches on my neck I didn't quite get and some slight irritation around my adam's apple.

So tonight, thinking I had now mastered DE shaving I used the other razor I bought recently, a EJ89L, with a POLSilver and some of Taylor's products - specifically the Mr Taylor range (I can actually visit their brick and mortar store in London during my lunch hour with 30 minutes to spare - they're about a mile away) including a silvertip badger.

Result? Four cuts, one on my lower lip, one on my jawline and two on my neck, all still visible, and the worst razor burn I have ever had. I shaved several hours ago and I can still feel the heat coming off it :shock:

What have I learned? Well, for my next shave (thankfully in three days time) I'm going back to my original winning formula - once I've got that completely down I might play around with different pre-shaves and soaps but if I can get a baby smooth shave with the 34C and Astra I'm going to stick with that for the foreseeable future!
EL Alamein

Re: Second Shave - Disaster

Post by EL Alamein »

Good post and welcome!

You gotta crawl before you can walk. Keep at it and you'll get there.

Chris
brothers

Post by brothers »

Thanks for joining us! I like your attitude. Go with what works, and don't try to change too many of the variables at the same time. PS: as one of our members has said, take it slow, it's your face, not a race! :)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Welcome, Idnative (Idaho native?) -

The EJ89L should be a tiny bit milder than the Merkur, so I would guess that the problem with the second shave was the different blade (probably a little sharper than the Astra) or too much self-confidence after your first shave. It will come to you and your skill will build with practice.

Glad you joined us. Enjoy the journey.

- Murray
BiffBuff

Post by BiffBuff »

Definitely some words of wisdom here -- mostly your own common sense idea to take a small step back and enjoy repeating that first really terrific shave for awhile. There will be more positive re-enforcement of that muscle memory too.

I have to say that, for me, a large part of improving my technique was really learning my face -- mapping not only my beard's grain direction, but charting the "difficult bits". I am familiar with all the different areas; some that require extreme care -- some where I can be less careful.

Shaving is a bit like golf -- as you practice repeatedly (always playing the same course) you gain skill and improve your results, but again, like golf, you will have days where you just aren't in the groove.
Everybody has a bad shave day now and again.
disengage
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Welcome to the forum.

If you tell us what you shaved with previously it might be a great help in our helping you. We'd like to, but at this time we're just staggering in the dark. Information you might think meaningless could mean a great deal. We're not prying, just trying to be helpful. Yes, it CAN make a difference to what we suggest.

In the meantime be sure to read other threads in this section. Pretty much everything as been covered since we all remove the same whiskers.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Welcome to SMF!

You'll get there, we're sure.

We hope you'll continue to share your views and experiences with us
as you move along on your journey!
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Yes Idnative, welcome aboard. There is a bit of a learning curve (much like a golf swing) with traditional shaving but this is a practice where patience is rewarded.
Regards,
Squire
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

welcome to smf......i echo gary's comment......stick with one setup for a while and take it slowly......Im guessing you were aiming for a bbs shave? Not worth it!!! :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Yes, Welcome. I hope you will tell us what you shaved with previously. D.E. shaving is a skill you can't learn from books. Do watch U-Tube videos you find googleing "shave techniques" or some sort. Are you trying to do more than one pass? If so, try just a single pass for a few days to let your face heal. Then two passes on safe areas like under your side burns. When you have the razor under control add more areas. Remember what you did when you got a nick or scrape and try to control to prevent that. All this is very simple sounding but will work. (I hope) :oops:
Ouchmychin (Pete)
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

Not much to add aside from the wiser crowd above me. I shared your problem when I first started wetshaving - changing things up quite soon, and changing multiple factors of the shave so that it became impossible to see what really needed improvement. Modify as little as possible and eventually a good pattern will fall out. It's not the most fun part of the process - I fell prey to the "Shave of the Day" forum here and wanted to change everything every day! But, alas, that privilege only comes with experience. (You can do it now, of course, but you know what'll happen. I started wetshaving two years before my wedding and STILL resorted to a Mach 3 on wedding day - I knew it was idiot-proof enough that I wouldn't be bleeding at the altar!)
Regards,
Mike
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I remember your pre nuptial jitters posts Mike, a lot has happened since that time and for the better.
Regards,
Squire
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I remember your pre nuptial jitters
for some reason this comment made me think of shawn(?) the lawyer from nyc who gave all the dudes in his wedding party a shaving gear box....a brush, cream, razor and blade(?)......the good ol days haha

clive
brothers

Post by brothers »

fallingwickets wrote:
I remember your pre nuptial jitters
for some reason this comment made me think of shawn(?) the lawyer from nyc who gave all the dudes in his wedding party a shaving gear box....a brush, cream, razor and blade(?)......the good ol days haha

clive
It was Shane, (JakAHearts) :D Here's the link: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=36643&p=423990#p423990
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

It's nine days since the op posted. Still no more reports. I wonder if we were duped?
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Working on technique I expect, hope he reports back.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

ldnative wrote:. . . . What have I learned? Well, for my next shave (thankfully in three days time) I'm going back to my original winning formula - once I've got that completely down I might play around with different pre-shaves and soaps but if I can get a baby smooth shave with the 34C and Astra I'm going to stick with that for the foreseeable future!
Maybe he just wanted to make a statement as to what he'd learned from browsing and reading on the forum. Maybe he wasn't hoping to engage in an ongoing conversation, I suppose. I also hope he'll be back soon to update us.
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Gary, youre the forums resident historian!!! =D> he obviously is another one, but not the gent i was talking about
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

went through pm's....i was going to buy a bespoke vulfix from him at one time......Sfox7076

btw, going to the very beginning of my pm list (thank you for saving them smf!!) i saw the old thread of when i was banned for 10 days LOLOLOLOL. wow!

clive
brothers

Post by brothers »

Ah, sorry about that Clive. The fellow did have a good intention though. Considering all the guys who seem to be dragging around these heavy beards these days, maybe more grooms and the other men in the wedding parties should be getting some new shaving gear.

Clive, you must have had a bad day or something. I'm glad they let you come back! :D
Gary