A good brick and mortar shave shop in town

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
brothers

A good brick and mortar shave shop in town

Post by brothers »

There's a brick and mortar shave shop in town, has been around a few years now. I paid a visit a few days ago and was surprised at the seemingly wide variety of product lines and brands they had in stock. I came away with a tub of AOS Sandalwood and a tub of Taylor's Jermyn Street shaving cream. The only one of the big English brands they do not carry (few do) is Harris. They don't carry Taylor's soaps, oddly enough, but they have tons of soaps in T&H and Trumpers. They had some handsome hanging leather and linen razor strops at fair prices. I am wondering why they don't seem to carry Stroppe Shoppe soaps, for two reasons: 1. they are reportedly very good shaving soaps, and 2. They're made just a few miles south on the Interstate in Norman OK. There was another fellow in the shop looking at brushes. He and the store employee were discussing and looking at the EJ synthetics and I was able to join the conversation regarding my experiences with the EJ synthetics.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Re: A good brick and mortar shave shop in town

Post by fallingwickets »

Lucky you. The closest we have is an AoS store which when you walk in the dude opens with " do you shave in the shower?" LMAO

clive

p.s. their ocean kelp is half decent!
de gustibus non est disputandum
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Clive the first mistake they made was having a dude rather than a dudette do the asking.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

My mall-based AOS store, not the shop I am referring to above, had both a male and a female last time I stopped in. They were a good team. I hope they are successful. I got my AOS from the shave shop, and what I like best about the shave shop is that they leave me alone unless I want information, then they're paying attention and being as helpful as necessary. When they found out I knew a bit about the products, they were asking me questions. I thought that was cool.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

fallingwickets wrote:Lucky you. The closest we have is an AoS store which when you walk in the dude opens with " do you shave in the shower?" LMAO

clive

p.s. their ocean kelp is half decent!
My answer would have been "No, but I used to smoke in the shower, which helped me greatly to kick the habit."

B.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

In my former town of residence the girl at the Creed counter could sell ice to Eskimos . . . male Eskimos anyway.
Regards,
Squire