Local Drug store starting to supply wet shave stuff

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
eeffoc

Local Drug store starting to supply wet shave stuff

Post by eeffoc »

I was out at our local Drug store yesterday to get some stamps and I decided to take a look at what they had for shaving supplies, I found an omega boar hear brush and some Proraso (both green and white) shaving soap and the cream among the other canned creams so I got the brush and the green shaving soap as they were both on sale. The brush was $15 regular and on sale for $10 and the shaving soap was $2 off.

My thoughts on the brush when I took it our of its box wsa "OMG, what end of the boar did they get the hair from :?:" I've got to wash this a lot before I even get it close to my face.
I have no idea how good this brush is or how good it will be but for $10 I though I'd give it a try

I also took a look to see if they had any DE blades and they did, a 10 pack of Wilkinson Sword for $25 :shock:
IMG_20150814_072900.jpg
IMG_20150814_072900.jpg (77.78 KiB) Viewed 1821 times
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Local Drug store starting to supply wet shave stuff

Post by Squire »

Sounds like the price tag on those blades was missing a decimal point.
Regards,
Squire
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Excellent regarding the products. It's a start. Can you find the manager and give him guidance? I can only find the VDH shaving kit. But it was enough to get me started a few years ago.

Boars need to be broken in. The latest Omegas appear to be broken in during manufacture and one lather removes whatever makes it feel like a scrub brush. But if it does require break in, you can do it in one huge slug, or do it a bit every day.

Brothers developed the one slug type of break in to my knowledge. He uses a rubber sheet and just works the brush over it as though lathering, with water only, while watching the TV. I never did it but he claims, and I have no reason to doubt him, that it breaks one in in 30 minutes.

The way I do it is to lather it a few times a day and in a week it's broken in. OR one could just use it on the face and one day you'll realize that the brush feels pretty darn good and on examining the ends of the hairs will see that they've split. That's exactly what you want to see.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

that's the problem, a lot of places make the attempt but never get anywhere with it through lack of knowledge.

I have one pharmacy/gift shop that has Wilkinson sword 5 packs from Germany, Williamson soap, and now a "gift set" of a brush, a crappy little ceramic bowl, a metal wire stand with a weird looking two blade cartridge razor for 26 dollars from china. and the brush is already coming apart.

walgreens has the low quality standard brush/bowl/soap kit from van der hagen. and the replacement soap puck.