the oil pass

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Big Swifty

the oil pass

Post by Big Swifty »

hello gents,
I was just wondering how many of us actually use a final "oil pass" to do the last touch up after your last lather pass. I remember reading about this sort of thing in Michael's (Leisureguy) wonderful book. I was reading Bryce's (Possum) list of his shave gear and I saw that he does this and it got me wondering just how common this practice is.
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"
EL Alamein

Re: the oil pass

Post by EL Alamein »

Steve,

I do not do an oil pass. I've tried TAOS's preshave oil and it was a terrible bog on my blade. This was nigh 12 years ago.

My alternative is to use lather - wet lather. Seems to work much better. For myself, all I need is a top notch soap or cream as they seem to provide all the protection and slickness I need.

FWIW, (old formula) Noxzema seems to work better than oil IMHO.

Chris
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I use water.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

My final pass is just lather.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I mostly use lather. Once in a blue moon I'll just use some water.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

I used the afore mentioned "Oil Pass" for a couple years. Used the recipe given by Leisureguy and found it to be rather nice way to finish the shave. Used this in the days that I needed to get that BBS shave and reduce the amount of 5 o'clock shadow. Enjoyed the process.

But no longer do the oil pass. Don't need that BBS shave as much and the 5 o'clock shadow no longer applies since the beard is very grey and is not a shadow anymore. If I had it to do over again I most likely would have just done as some do here, water or some left over lather and do the blade buffing technique to get those "stubborn" spots that I missed on my other passes. Easier to do and a lot cheaper than mixing the oils for the Oil Pass.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

When I say water of course that's on skin that retains some residual lather, so it would be more precise to say I am re-hydrating (albeit in a very thin form) the remaining lather film left from shaving passes.

Charles Roberts talked me into trying the oil pass in his shop in Austin. For me it was just a damned mess.
Regards,
Squire
StGeorge
I'm not worthy

Post by StGeorge »

Meh.....tried oil in the past, horrible stuff, clogs everything up and makes everything slimy, give me a nice clean soap all day long. My skin produces it's own oil, adding to it makes things worse and leaves me feeling slimy all day. A nice soap and very light balm is all I need to leave my skin feeling great all day long.
Tony

667....neighbour of the beast.
Zot!

Post by Zot! »

On occasion, when I apply Thayer's Witch Hazel with Aloe Vera, if I feel stubble, I will buff the area with the razor before the Witch Hazel dissipates or just add a bit in the area.
Ron
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I don't see the need for it and it sounds pretty messy. I splash my face with warm water which activates the residual lather on my face; it has worked well for me over the last 50 years that I've been shaving.
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

Squire wrote:When I say water of course that's on skin that retains some residual lather, so it would be more precise to say I am re-hydrating (albeit in a very thin form) the remaining lather film left from shaving passes.

Charles Roberts talked me into trying the oil pass in his shop in Austin. For me it was just a damned mess.
That's been my experience too.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444