Sound Advice

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
BPman

Sound Advice

Post by BPman »

From a legend in the shaving industry for over 50 yrs.:

...I use one blade edge on the first day and the other edge for tomorrow. And then I change it. If you make two passes and one against, you will have irritated skin. I only do one pass, but well done, which is what you need to do.
INTERVIEW with Mr. Miquel Ricou Sole, founder of Myrsol:

http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/communi ... sol.19581/
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Sound Advice

Post by Squire »

Very interesting, thanks for posting that link.
Regards,
Squire
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

LOL....sounds like a hack for gillette :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Well, I didn't say I agreed, rather an entertaining read.
Regards,
Squire
BPman

Post by BPman »

I only do a thorough one pass shave. If I go XTG or ATG I invariably get infected hairs on my neck, ergo I subscribe to the advice in the interview. As to switching the blade after two shaves, that depends on the user IMO.
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

There is, IMO, much to be said for this elderly gentleman's one-pass method.

I've posted before that I can't get on with the 4pass SMF Gold-standard shave. Especially the idea of multiple re-latherings of a just-shaved face -- my skin doesn't respond at all favorably.

A great prep for me consists of a hot water wash followed by 3 minutes of beard-soaking with a dripping-wet, warm Washcloth /flannel /towel. If I follow this with an excellent lather, then a good, thorough 1-pass XTG, plus some blade-buffing touchup (all light pressure, flat blade, etc.) that's my best shave. It's plenty close for all purposes, and my skin thanks me for not flaying it! I'd also add that it is faster than a multi-lather, multi-pass shave.

True confession: after I rinse and towel off, I sometimes hit any left over scratchy spots with my Braun. 2 seconds ATG -- problem solved and no harm done to my tender face!

I haven't tried the old gent's product, but I think he's on to something with his technique!
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I can't get a satisfactory shave with just one pass. Most of the time I get my desired BBS shave with 2 passes (first is WTG, second is XTG) and touch up; sometimes I'll do 3 passes, but the third pass usually has marginal utility. I don't have a tough or heavy beard, since I'm blonde, and I don't get ingrowns or any irritation even though I'm fair skinned. BTW, I use a Mach3 or Sensor 99% of the time. I attribute my success to proper prep. (first a hottish shower, followed by a tap hot water rinse of my face and neck after drying myself out of the shower) and good technique (mostly using little pressure with my razor) and taking my time.
Bryan
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

As ever, this is a "YMMV" thing . . . for some of us, re-lathering over and over causes problems. For others, it's an enjoyment thing of doing multiple passes for a closer shave. My point is that a one-pass (or one-pass + touchup, but no additional lather), can be a very viable option.

Interestingly, a Google search turned up this item a propos this topic. Enjoy . . .
http://shavelikegrandad.blogspot.com/20 ... shave.html
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Sure it can, comfort is the main thing.
Regards,
Squire
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

For me a three pass shave and a polishing followup are an every day procedure. Couple days ago I tried it with a Walmart Personna blade that had been used once and tripped over a wrinkle and dug a nice furrow on my neck. I blame the blade of course. Skipped yesterday to let it heal. Today I used a 5 blade Shick Hydro 5. No danger of digging in with that big flat head. Kept polishing to bbs. No irritation and no scrapes. But, there is that area of my jaw that has stubble unless I set an adjustable DE razor super aggressive and carefully go at the polishing. Not worth the chance for almost certain irritation.
Ouchmychin (Pete)