I want to get my razor replated. Where do you guys suggest t

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Kazaam

I want to get my razor replated. Where do you guys suggest t

Post by Kazaam »

I have an old Gillette 4 piece British flat bottom travel tech and want to get it replated. Where do you guys suggest I get it done and should I get it done in rhodium or nickel? Thanks!
BiffBuff

Re: I want to get my razor replated. Where do you guys sugge

Post by BiffBuff »

I will be watching this thread -- I've got a couple of older Gillettes that I'm thinking about re-plating too. I know there are some who would consider a re-vamp, such as offered by Delta Echo sacrilege, but I think their stuff is drop dead gorgeous!

I think I like the look of rhodium for a more conventional re-plate. There are some nice photos on both Above the Tie and Razor Emporium web sites.
disengage
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

Do an internet search for your area and plating. I doubt if there is a community of ten thousand or more souls that does not have a plating shop. It isn't very expensive and doesn't take very long. Support your local tradesmen and women...someday soon they may be gone.

Buzz
Kazaam

Post by Kazaam »

Is rhodium a lot more wear resistant than nickel?
Last edited by Kazaam on Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Yes but either metal has more wear in them than there is in us. Even gold has a surprisingly long life span when it comes to razors.
Regards,
Squire
Jbbmad2

Post by Jbbmad2 »

My intention is to use him, just haven't gotten to it yet, but Chris at RazorPlate.com comes highly recommended. I've spoke to him on occasion and he does stay about 2-3 weeks backed up since he's been discovered. Price friendly as well.
Bruce
Proverbs 3:5-6
Gig'em!
BPman

Post by BPman »

Ebay is chock full of overpriced replated DE razors from which the owner will never recoup their investment. I would only replate a razor if perhaps it was a family heirloom and it was in really bad shape. Other than that, it's almost always cheaper to shop for another one in better condition.

I also have a 'flat bottom' Tech that is missing a few spots of plating on the head, but since I am not expecting Martha Stewart to come photograph my bathroom it really doesn't bother me. :wink:

P.S. The Canadian pre-war Tech (triangular slots) is a better shaver IMO.
preidy

Post by preidy »

I've had a Tech re-done in 24K and a SS in Rodium at Razor Emporium. Both razors came back great. I know there are mixed feeling about RE but so far so good for me. Based on reading various replate sites it appears to me that only RE does repair work to razors during replate - mainly impacts TTO's. This is why I tend to lean towards RE. One negitve. The wait has increased to 8 weeks. But as mom used to say. Patience is a virtue.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I have my dad's old original late 1930's fat handle Tech with the triangular holes in the base plate. It's clean, but not pristine. I wouldn't consider replating it, even though it's a precious heirloom for my son, grandson, and etc. It's just as he left it, and that gives it a sentimental value that would be lost if I had it replated. I believe it went with him when he enlisted in the US Marines at the start of the war, and when he came back home to my mom. PS: I happened to find an exact duplicate, unused and in perfect shiny condition, as an example of what his razor looked like 80 years ago when he bought it at the drugstore in his small farming town in western Oklahoma.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Mayberryman

Post by Mayberryman »

brothers wrote:I have my dad's old original late 1930's fat handle Tech with the triangular holes in the base plate. It's clean, but not pristine. I wouldn't consider replating it, even though it's a precious heirloom for my son, grandson, and etc. It's just as he left it, and that gives it a sentimental value that would be lost if I had it replated. I believe it went with him when he enlisted in the US Marines at the start of the war, and when he came back home to my mom. PS: I happened to find an exact duplicate, unused and in perfect shiny condition, as an example of what his razor looked like 80 years ago when he bought it at the drugstore in his small farming town in western Oklahoma.
I believe that this is the beauty of this little Hobby/Passion that we have. Everybody can enjoy it in their own way and on their own terms and there is really no right or wrong way. I also have my father's super speed razor and would not think of replating it, not because of what it might loose but because I do not really like the way it shaves. If it shaved to my satisfaction and I was planning on using it on a daily basis you can bet it would get a make over. I would ask, would dad keep his razor in the best condition possible if he had the money and time or would he just allow it to deteriorate at the slowest rate possible.

After two years of trials and shaving with everything from earliest three piece razors to fat boys to black plastic handle adjustable I have decided on The Gillette Red Tip and I have three that shave very well and are used in a rotation or as I choose that day. I plan on having each of them re platted and brought back to as new condition as possible. I also respect your decision and can not say that my opinion is any more correct than yours
brothers

Post by brothers »

Because it's my dad's old razor with the original patina and characteristics that he created through using it every day for several decades, I wouldn't want to have it replated and lose that sentimental value. I did manage to find an identical one in mint condition though, to go along with his razor. I agree with you about getting those Red Tips replated because you want to use them regularly. Coincidentally, I also have 3 that I rescued from the flea markets and estate sales that seem to be great shavers.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444