The wanderer returns - a tale of betrayal and redemption....

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
StGeorge
I'm not worthy

The wanderer returns - a tale of betrayal and redemption....

Post by StGeorge »

So....it's been 6 long years since I ventured into these parts having previously been a regular visitor. I previously bought into the DE shaving thing big time. I have a tough beard and sensitive skin and cartridge razors were killing me, giving me skin infections and soreness. I had the usual epiphany when trying DE razors, blades and brushes for the first time. I tried all the old razors, fatboys, slims, adjustables, the whole shebang. I bought numerous creams, soaps and blades galore...I tried them all. I found my razor nirvana with a 1938 Aristocrat and for a while luxuriated in the legendary "Swedes" as my blade of choice (until they sadly disappeared).

However, all was not well, in my newly found zealotry, I strayed from the righteous path. I still obsessed over different blades, creams and soaps. I started to get sore skin and dryness, experimenting more in an effort to fight the problem. I loved the woolfat but the scent was not strong enough, my quest continued to find the right combination, I mocked the Derby, I laughed at the Israeli's (the blades not the nationality). I could never be satisfied, nothing worked, dejected, I hung up my brush and committed the ultimate sin....I went electric...my fall from grace was complete....

I started a new quest, an electric razor which didn't irritate, I eventually found a Remington which did a reasonable job, no real irritation, a passable shave, nowhere near what I could get from a wet shave but the soreness went. So I stuck at it for a while, my Simpson Eagle 2 and '38 Aristrocrat sitting forlorn and unloved in a drawer, and so the years slowly passed. Over time I realised something was wrong, I felt dirty, a little depraved, skulking into the bathroom with this noisy beast. The experience became soulless, tedious, a chore, I hated the drudgery, I yearned for the soft caress of bristle and slick creamy lather......but I persisted, like an alcoholic unable to kick the habit.

Then, one day, about a week ago, my Eagle 2 whispered my name, I dug out my beloved '38 Aristocrat and popped in an Iridium ( I'd kept my blades, I just couldn't part with them ). I grabbed a long forgotten half used puck of the fat and excitedly lathered up a lanolin infused storm. I brushed like never before and nervously started the shave, like I hadn't done it before, but I didn't care, all the old feelings came back, the subtle sweet scent of Mitchells filled my nostrils, damn that brush felt good! The shave didn't matter, the ritual was back, I was in the saddle once again. I finished and smiled, the shave was good, I felt good. So I continued, I even popped in a Derby from a long ago purchased pack of 200 that I couldn't bring myself to throw away ( I hate waste ). The first shave with it was a little rough, but I carried on and I'm still using it and loving it, (these blades obviously have to be broken in). So here I am, a week later, no soreness, my skin hasn't felt this good in years, the fat is where its at. No more experimenting, I realised my mistake, trying too hard using too many products, pressing to hard to get the perfect shave, ignoring the irritation but chasing the scent, I was lost but now I am found.

I recognise some old faces on here, I doubt anyone remembers me but you never know. Forgive me my sin for I knew not what I had done, I angered the shave gods, forsaking the fat and the Aristocrat, I come here seeking forgiveness and throw myself at your mercy.....
Tony

667....neighbour of the beast.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: The wanderer returns - a tale of betrayal and redemption

Post by Squire »

Go in peace my friend, your faith has made you whole.
Regards,
Squire
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

welcome back Tony
Nice to hear that you have knocked the dust off of that Aristocrat and have been enjoying the ritual of shaving once again.
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"
Jbbmad2

Post by Jbbmad2 »

I just love this site! Great job Tony, well come back from the dark side.
Bruce
Proverbs 3:5-6
Gig'em!
TommyDawg

Post by TommyDawg »

Great story...fall from grace followed by redemption! Glad to have you back in the fold. Cheers to you!
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Words I once heard from a revered person: "Now you are wise. Then you were otherwise." :D

And so, you return to us an older, wiser shaver. Welcome back, Tony. I agree that changing it up a lot can impede a consistent, skilled shave.

By the way, it is not unusual for a blade to be a little rough through the first shave. I hand-strop my blades before the first shave (and between shaves), which appears to mitigate this problem.

Glad to have you back.

- Murray

PS. I do remember you. Especially the "667....neighbour of the beast" part.
StGeorge
I'm not worthy

Post by StGeorge »

CMur12 wrote:Words I once heard from a revered person: "Now you are wise. Then you were otherwise." :D

And so, you return to us an older, wiser shaver. Welcome back, Tony. I agree that changing it up a lot can impede a consistent, skilled shave.

By the way, it is not unusual for a blade to be a little rough through the first shave. I hand-strop my blades before the first shave (and between shaves), which appears to mitigate this problem.

Glad to have you back.

- Murray

PS. I do remember you. Especially the "667....neighbour of the beast" part.
Thanks Murray, gentlemen ( I'm assuming shavemyface hasn't gone down the LGBT route yet - but you never know :-) )

Great quote Murray, I must remember that one. Yes I do recall that blades can be rough first time, though I did favour Swedes then and they were silky smooth from day one. I could never take to Derby's then but I think I just tried to hard and obsessed about 2 pass BBS shaves. I've since learned that more and lighter passes work better for me. I think I was removing the top layer of my skin and by using fierce blades and a heavy hand and once the soreness sets in the only remedy is to stop shaving for a few days, something I can't bear. I'm now getting fantastic results with the Derby's by adopting my newly found technique, aided and abetted by the only shaving soap I can comfortably use - the fat. Palm oil and many additives to shaving soaps and creams clearly do not work for my skin but I love MW and am happy to use that ad-infinitum. I'm also loving using my '38 Aristocrat again, quite easily the best razor I've ever used for my beard type and skin, which just goes to show you don't need adjustables etc to get great results, though I accept we're all different in that respect, believe me I have tried them all!
Tony

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Nice to see you back.......59 thumbs up on your post :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
StGeorge
I'm not worthy

Post by StGeorge »

fallingwickets wrote:Nice to see you back.......59 thumbs up on your post :D

clive
Thanks Clive, good to see you are still around. If my memory serves me correctly you were a bit of a "fatmeister" yourself?
Tony

BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

Pleased indeed to see you again, and thanks for that great story (well told, I might add) of your "shave travels."

I certainly understand the syndrome of constantly chasing after something better. Not necessarily a bad thing - after all it led you to wet shaving (and - more importantly - BACK to wet shaving!)

(If I recall, I owe you a pint one of these days, and I'd be pleased indeed to pay that obligation!)

I specifically recall that you are another "tough beard / sensitive skin" guy. Question: ever tried brushless creams? I've had some success lately in that direction; I'd be interested if that ever "clicked" for your particular situation.

Anyway, the main point is this: a HEARTY welcome back! Post as often as you can; you're a great story-teller and I value your insights. It will be really good to hear more from you!
StGeorge
I'm not worthy

Post by StGeorge »

BeatlesFan wrote:Pleased indeed to see you again, and thanks for that great story (well told, I might add) of your "shave travels."

I certainly understand the syndrome of constantly chasing after something better. Not necessarily a bad thing - after all it led you to wet shaving (and - more importantly - BACK to wet shaving!)

(If I recall, I owe you a pint one of these days, and I'd be pleased indeed to pay that obligation!)

I specifically recall that you are another "tough beard / sensitive skin" guy. Question: ever tried brushless creams? I've had some success lately in that direction; I'd be interested if that ever "clicked" for your particular situation.

Anyway, the main point is this: a HEARTY welcome back! Post as often as you can; you're a great story-teller and I value your insights. It will be really good to hear more from you!
Hi Beatlesfan, another name I do recall, thanks for your kind words. I am indeed a tough beard/sensitive skin sufferer, although I have now identified a probable cause for that which I'll post about another time. I have tried brushless creams but the experience left me cold to be honest, I enjoy the nuances of the brush too much and it didn't change anything for me personally. I seem to recall using a well known Portuguese brushless cream whose name I can't recall, nice scent but not for me.

I'm not sure why you owe me a beer but I'm all for a chinwag in convivial surroundings so if I ever do get to the states I may take you up on the offer :-) . Likewise, the offer is reciprocal should you ever visit these shores to sample our "warm beer" ( Which usually isn't warm unless we get one of our rare heatwaves i.e several consecutive days of 70 degrees of heat). Now that I have identified a probable cause for my skin irritation I may be back on the soap and cream trail but I'll see how that goes, be careful what you wish for :-)
Tony

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

a bit of a "fatmeister" yourself?
I've dabbled now and then :D but nothing comes close to trumpers rose :lol:

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
StGeorge
I'm not worthy

Post by StGeorge »

fallingwickets wrote:
a bit of a "fatmeister" yourself?
I've dabbled now and then :D but nothing comes close to trumpers rose :lol:

clive
I think I may have confused you with JWW, I know I'm not alone in my "fatworship" :-)
Tony

brothers

Post by brothers »

It's good to see you active here again!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
StGeorge
I'm not worthy

Post by StGeorge »

brothers wrote:It's good to see you active here again!
Thanks Gary, this has always been a pleasant and welcoming forum. I'm into photography and some of those forums you wouldn't believe :roll:
Tony