The help of keen eyed sleuths required

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
kaptain_zero

The help of keen eyed sleuths required

Post by kaptain_zero »

As has been posted before, there is this video of a straight razor shave at the Waldorf. I ask that you pay attention to the top shelf inside the left cabinet at 0:16 into the video. There is a chrome or perhaps nickel plated container in the centre of that shelf. My father, in his barbershop of days gone by, had such a container... two actually, one had a rosebud shaped top with a single hole to dispense either aftershave or hair tonic. The other one had an atomiser top with a red rubber hose and bulb. Unfortunately, the ones my father had, have been lost... I actually don't have anything but an old Linotype on a wooden block with a picture of my dad that was probably used in some newspaper advertisement.

I have looked time and again for these refillable containers, but I do not know the exact name used for them, and all my searches have been fruitless. I cannot imagine they are that rare, only that I do not know what to look for. I would dearly love to have one exactly like the one at the Waldorf, to be refilled with good old Booster aftershave... probably Polar Ice as that scent is awfully familiar and I spent many an hour in dads barbershop reading comics while waiting to go home for supper. I suppose I could fill it with hair tonic.... but as some have said "Too little, too late" in my case. :mrgreen:

So, if anyone can help with the name, or better yet, a source, it would be much appreciated.

Regards

Christian
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.
ShadowsDad

Re: The help of keen eyed sleuths required

Post by ShadowsDad »

I bet it wouldn't take more than a few phone calls to talk directly to the barbers there and get your answers.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

That's a great suggestion Brian. When making the phone call, if they still have these items, it might not hurt to ask if you can purchase those very articles! If the person on the other end of the phone call hesitates or quickly says no, then don't take no for an answer! If they say maybe, then you've got it made, and the only thing left is to negotiate the price.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

There was a British barber supply house called: diamondedgeltd.com on the net. I just went back there and couldn't find what you want. Did see that they still have very low prices on some Simpson/Vulfix brushes. Too bad I don't need one. They have also branched out into pet grooming!!
Ouchmychin (Pete)