Brought a family member into the fold

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Brought a family member into the fold

Post by Sam »

My son-in-law and daughter visited me this past weekend and he got around to asking me what I used to shave with. He is growing a beard and has irritation on his neck he said. I told him about my DE and showed him creams and my badger brush. So this morning, my daughter sends me a pic and says he got a straight razor. It was a DE razor. I texted him and did not hear back from him. Want to send him some blades, but I use the Personna Hospital ones and I think those might be a bit too sharp.

Who would source a few different blades that he can try say two of each, and easily be able to order a whole slew when he settled on one

Sent him the website for whipped dog brushes. I told him about L"Occitane having a small synthetic brush for $15 or so but I dont know if you can find them and for $28 or $32 he can have a 24 or 26mm silvertip badger. Will tell him about custom brushes after he figures out what ht likes. Told him about Kiss My Face creams and Thayers Witch hazel he can get at Whole Foods near him
ShadowsDad

Re: Brought a family member into the fold

Post by ShadowsDad »

It's always good news when someone can be rescued from the stormy sea of cartridges.

Med' Preps are fine blades to start with, except they might spoil him. That would be the only danger IMO. When I was beginning I immediately recognized the first reallt good blade that I experienced. (Gillette 7:00 yellows)
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Jbbmad2

Post by Jbbmad2 »

Sam I believe there's a site called Try A Blade where you can get a sample pack of several blades. Not exactly sure how it works as I've never used them but I've heard good things about them.
Bruce
Proverbs 3:5-6
Gig'em!
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Congratulations, Sam!

I always start by choosing the razor for my skin and the blade for my beard. If your son-in-law has a light beard, a milder blade such as a Crystal, Red Pack IP, or Derby might be a good starting place. If he has a heavier or coarser beard, I wouldn't hesitate to start with a Personna Med Prep/Hospital Use blade, unless he has too aggressive a razor.

I believe in starting with one blade that is fairly universally accepted and sticking with it until basic shaving technique is developed. Without some shaving understanding, it is hard to separate an incompatible blade from inadequate technique, and constantly adding variables slows the learning process. I would recommend getting a blade sampler only after developing at least basic technique.

- Murray
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Murray I have sent him the link to our website. If he lets me know I will direct him to this thread
BiffBuff

Post by BiffBuff »

tryablade.com is a great resource for this exact situation. You can buy as many or as few as you like and there's a reasonable flat shipping fee.

You have the option of choosing one by one, or they offer pre-selected sampler packs. I've used them several times with excellent results -- highly recommended.
disengage
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Surprise, surprise. My daughter bought into this. She thought it was an affectation for so long, but now that her husband is into it, she is in to it now. Wanted my suggestion on a cream. So since she lives near a mall, I said stop in Art of Shaving for sandalwood cream. They had a travel kit with preshave oil, cream, balm and a pure badger brush. $30. Heck, you could do far worse in a brush for $30, though I told her he will soon want a better brush and sent her the website link for Whipped Dog. Maybe he will ask me HMW or Silvertip and whether to set it deeper or not. Im thinking 24mm is a great size, not too big for travel.

This was a quick stocking stuffer that she wanted and since it regularly retailed for $95, I told her to grab her father in law one too
brothers

Post by brothers »

Sam wrote:My son-in-law and daughter visited me this past weekend and he got around to asking me what I used to shave with. He is growing a beard and has irritation on his neck he said. I told him about my DE and showed him creams and my badger brush. So this morning, my daughter sends me a pic and says he got a straight razor. It was a DE razor. I texted him and did not hear back from him. Want to send him some blades, but I use the Personna Hospital ones and I think those might be a bit too sharp.

Who would source a few different blades that he can try say two of each, and easily be able to order a whole slew when he settled on one

Sent him the website for whipped dog brushes. I told him about L"Occitane having a small synthetic brush for $15 or so but I dont know if you can find them and for $28 or $32 he can have a 24 or 26mm silvertip badger. Will tell him about custom brushes after he figures out what ht likes. Told him about Kiss My Face creams and Thayers Witch hazel he can get at Whole Foods near him
Sam, after he received the blades, has he continued with his interest?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Gary he has. He told me his razor rocks and he has viewed various websites on blades. The Art of Shaving shave cream and brush, he was less than thrilled about (daughter got him that stuff)
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Heartwarming story indeed. A wonderful moment when we can introduce one to the fold, and then they embrace.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

If I were to recommend one blade right now it would be a Polsilver. Of course I have not tried the Personna Hospitals. Now Gary has posted about a $10 synthetic recently. That comes to about $17.50 with shipping.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Ouchmychin wrote:If I were to recommend one blade right now it would be a Polsilver. Of course I have not tried the Personna Hospitals. Now Gary has posted about a $10 synthetic recently. That comes to about $17.50 with shipping.
Yup - the Polislvers are really, really good. Been my go-to along with Gillette Silver Blues for at least a couple of years now.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?