modern razors

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
nicodemus38

modern razors

Post by nicodemus38 »

why the fuss over so many of the new razors, that once the initial product release is over, they disappear? As in, websites simply say "website coming soon", although its been 2 years since the razor released.
Or the "official" retailers of the razor don't even make a mention of them?
brothers

Re: modern razors

Post by brothers »

We can speculate, but that'd be rather pointless. If you're in need of specifics as to why their plans haven't worked out as they hoped, you'll probably want to contact the folks directly, but don't expect to get any inside information. More than likely they'll either ignore you or refer you to their legal counsel. Maybe I've missed the nature of your question. What information are you seeking, specifically?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Nic, I don't know what razors you refer to, so I can't respond. I know that a number of good razors have hit the market in recent years. Some of their producers were able to build a lasting business and some weren't. Those who bought them while they could - and liked them - benefited. The rest of us looked elsewhere for our own reasons.

Personally, I've spent a lot of money on razors, from vintage Gillettes to new production. I've found several that work pretty well for me, though there may be even better out there to be had. Still, I'm not willing to spend much on a new razor, at this point, only to find out IF it will work for me. So, I leave that to others.

Small businesses are a volatile proposition and not all of them are successful. Sometimes they have a good product, but a poor business plan. We've seen this happen with razors, brushes, soaps, and the rest. We just exercise choice based on our personal requirements and we decide what to buy and what to avoid to the best of our personal judgment.

- Murray
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

About the websites that don't work: Some of those small businesses making razors are actually one-man operations or have very minimal staff. It may be that those sites don't get done because there's no one ready to do them.
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

mongoose razors for one, its been around since what late 2013. and they still haven't finished their website beyond a "for sale domain holder". Bullgoose was supposed to become the sole American retailer last year. His site still doesn't list mongoose. The internet turns up merely a few posts from 2013 and 2014 and a facebook page.

Cobra is the same way.

Its just curious that the "affordable" at 150 dollar SE disappears, but the 300 dollar One Blade goes strong.

the only modern razor that sells seems to be the weishi.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Isn't "modern razor" a bit of an oxymoron? It strikes me that any shaving tool designed around a single or double edge blade has to follow designs that are more than a century old. Except for the oddball slant of course. I wish I could've met the guy who designed that one. I would've bought him a beer just to ask what was he thinking when that idea was formed.
Regards,
Squire
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

I have a feeling that if you examine the first known slant razors, they will most likely follow the publication of gillettes shaving manuals that describe the "Gillette slide".

a slant creates the slide, except you hold the razor in a normal manner, the head puts the blade in the right angle.

anything designed after Gillette stopped making DE razors in America is "modern era" for razors.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I would consider the "modern era" for razors to have started right after WW II, perhaps even just before.

This is totally subjective and each person will have a different take on "modern razor."

- Murray
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Actually a slant DE replicates the natural angle most of hold a straight razor, which angle is easily duplicated by a regular DE if we are so inclined.
Regards,
Squire
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Murray I guess that makes me "modern era" as well.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

nicodemus38 wrote:mongoose razors for one, its been around since what late 2013. and they still haven't finished their website beyond a "for sale domain holder". Bullgoose was supposed to become the sole American retailer last year. His site still doesn't list mongoose. The internet turns up merely a few posts from 2013 and 2014 and a facebook page.

Cobra is the same way.

Its just curious that the "affordable" at 150 dollar SE disappears, but the 300 dollar One Blade goes strong.

the only modern razor that sells seems to be the weishi.
Nic, the internet website-related observations, while technically accurate, except for the hundreds if not thousands of posts on the Mongoose pages, are clearly not related to the fact that the Mongoose and the Cobra, both the Classic and the King, continuously sell out faster than they can be manufactured. Which $150 SE has disappeared? I love my Cobra and my Mongoose (I have owned 3 Mongeese and sold 2) are excellent shavers. In two or three years maybe we can remember to check back to find out if the One Blade has survived, in comparison to these others. Obviously, the reference to a sole American retail outlet for Mongoose has been superceded by routine changes in business models and plans.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444