What I learned in 7 years away from the shaving forums

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Raze R. Blade

Re: What I learned in 7 years away from the shaving forums

Post by Raze R. Blade »

nicodemus38 wrote:those are universal truths. a few dependable shaving rigs, blades, and soap or creams are all you really need. No need to go buy something just because they added a new scent.

A lot of the forums and retailers do seem to be set up in a way to make a new person become a one man/one shopping trip income surge that lets the store pay their monthly bills just on that one person.
On a lot of forums you really cant stay "in the conversation" unless you buy every new product that comes out and hope to have any chance at staying relevant.
I agree completely, and think that the OP holds many truths. Some of the forums have become little more than marketing outlets. The discourse seems to have shifted from how to get a better shave to accumulating a ton of shaving gear. That is fine for the hoarders among us, but much less relevant for the average Joe who just wants to get a great shave using traditional gear. The forum culture, such as it is, has digressed substantially in some quarters from the interests of the traditional shaving common man.
brothers

Post by brothers »

nicodemus38 wrote:those are universal truths. a few dependable shaving rigs, blades, and soap or creams are all you really need. No need to go buy something just because they added a new scent.

A lot of the forums and retailers do seem to be set up in a way to make a new person become a one man/one shopping trip income surge that lets the store pay their monthly bills just on that one person.
On a lot of forums you really cant stay "in the conversation" unless you buy every new product that comes out and hope to have any chance at staying relevant.
Oh guys, let's stop blaming the forums for our actions. :lol: We are enablers out the wazoooo! We are not the typical guy, we are a very small percentage of guys who happen to share a common interest in this stuff. Nobody makes anyone buy too much stuff. We do it because we want to, and we, the posters, are the forums. It's silly to blame and condemn the "forums" (a euphemism for "us"). Blaming the retailers is less than rational. :roll:

Your final sentence explains it all --- a need to be approved and accepted by others. Staying "in" is the real objective, and that's what we call a personal problem. :lol:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Antonine

Post by Antonine »

Glad to see that you returned.

I didn't learn to shave with a DE razor until I was 62 years old.
I'm shaving to look good.
Raze R. Blade

Post by Raze R. Blade »

brothers wrote:It's silly to blame and condemn the "forums" (a euphemism for "us"). Blaming the retailers is less than rational. :roll:
I wouldn't say we are the forums, although we certainly are a very important part. "We" also do not equally determine the tone and direction a forum takes. Some of the forums are little more than advertising tools, whether by design or because of shilling.
If a member says anything that runs contrary to the revenue goals of the owner or shills, then there will be trouble. Not particularly conducive to open dialogue and informative content.

It used to be that most forum members were simply fellows looking for a great shave at a reasonable price. Sure, there were guys who bought a lot of stuff, but also ordinary wetshavers with minimal equipment. Nowadays, a guy has to be a shopoholic to really be considered part of the crowd and ongoing discourse in some places. The discussions generally revolve around constantly buying and accumulating a mountain of gear. It is a marked contrast with the convos of seven or eight years ago. Sometimes things change over time. When they do, there are those people who miss the good ol' days.

I think the OP shows there is much to be learned outside the forums using what we learned inside the forums.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Good points. Thanks.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
dosco

Post by dosco »

LostInCincy wrote: 3. Settling on a few shaving setups and sticking with them helps your shaves and wallets.

This is, of course, not news to anyone here, but something very few of us can actually follow through on. The simplicity of just a few variables can help the quality and consistency of your shaves so much, it’s unbelievable. It’s pretty hard to maintain that and maintain the chatter, though, with so many things to try.

After I visited Pasteur Pharmacy in NYC this month, I laughed at the cost of the spending spree there. It had been a while since I’d bought multiple products at the same time and gone nuts. I shudder to think what it would have been had I maintained the pace I was moving at in 2007/2008 after I had a real job.

Thanks for letting me share. I’d be curious to hear anyone’s thoughts on the matter. One thing I’m thrilled to see, in 2016, is that the community here is still vibrant and maintains a good sense of perspective and camaraderie.

Best,
Dan
Dan:
Thanks for coming back, and also for your thoughtful post.

I periodically drift away from the forums in which I'm involved ... seems like my interest and/or desire to do things ebbs and wanes.

I agree with your point 3 ... I started making my own shave soap a couple of years ago, and concluded that there was something "to it" regarding a good razor, a good blade, good soap, and good technique.

I ran out of soap and chose not to make more. Not sure why, other than my interest had ebbed and waned.

Still using my preferred razor (Bic Sensitive), I stopped using my brush and my soap, and just face-lathered some bar soap on my face to shave. In the last 2 weeks (of this month) my shaves went to crap. Lots of nicks, cuts, and weepers.

I decided that enough was enough. This week I resumed using my brush ... with Williams. I can actually lather it pretty well now, and I did note an immediate improvement.

I changed the formulation of my soap. Previously it was a bare-boned affair: tallow (or lard), coconut oil, stearic acid, potassium hydroxide, and water. Superfat was 5%. Manufactured using the Hot Process. During the tail end of my last batch of soap, a Wegman's grocery store opened ... and they sell raw shea butter(!). I bought some. I reformulated my soap to zero superfat, followed by addition of 5% (by oil weight) glycerine and 5% (oil weight again) shea butter. Made a batch this morning, and was able to use it for today's shave. It was pretty good - better than Williams - which bodes well for the future.

I was a fool for having deviated from my established process.

Then again, sometimes you need the world to kick you in the pants and bring you back to reality.

Cheers-
Dave
wrm2012

Post by wrm2012 »

My story is almost the same as yours. I joined in 07 and my last login was in 2012. I probably checked in a few times since then but not much. I also settled on a few products that work well for me and have just used those in the last 4 years or so. Believe it or not I have just about ran out of blades and soap and came back to see what is new, cheap, and or the current rage. PS like the new board.
Thanks, Bill
sgtrecon212

Post by sgtrecon212 »

DEF wrote:The most important thing I learned is that it's much cheaper to be afflicted with shaving acquisition disorders than with guitar and amplifier acquisition disorders.
I have to agree. I've gotten myself in trouble on more than one occasion with the wife..lol GAS is much more expensive.

I don't post much here anymore, mostly because the folks here have given me outstanding advice and guidance. I came here in '05 after a search for a better way to shave and not hack myself to pieces. I got those answers, adjusted, bought and sold lots of stuff, and settled on what works.

More recently, it's scents that I seem to be more drawn to. As a younger man, I would have never given consideration to rose or lavender scented anything! Lavender has become my go-to. That' s something else I've learned here, to give other products a chance.

So I still check in occasionally, and really enjoy the time I spend here when I do.
Steve
______
Go Cubbies