New guy from Jakarta, Indonesia

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
beshaved

New guy from Jakarta, Indonesia

Post by beshaved »

Hello people.

I just found this forum last week and decided to join the frenzy.

I am a bit new to DE wet shaving. Just turned myself in last month.

Please give me advice. Any advice.

My technique is still raw. I just cut my self pretty deep in my last shave.

Arief from Jakarta
mrjediconsular

Re: New guy from Jakarta, Indonesia

Post by mrjediconsular »

beshaved welcome to SMF. =D> what de razor do have?, are you using a blade sampler pack?. take your time and us a light touch because DE shaving well cut you if you ignore those two guidelines
Jordan
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Arief. Welcome to SMF!

Look though our SMF University. At the top of the page, it has a thread with links to instructional videos. Look also through past threads in the same and other subforums. You can also use the search function at the upper right corner of the screen. Any specific questions, just ask us.

Keep in mind that everyone has a somewhat unique experience with the traditional wetshave, so our preferences vary a lot. Some of us like one brand of blade, shaving soap, cream, or whatever, and the next guy likes something completely different. Some of us like aggressive razors for the closest shave, while others choose mild razors to go easy on sensitive skin. Some face-lather and some bowl-lather.

When it comes to choosing a razor and blade, I suggest starting by choosing the razor for your skin (mild razor for sensitive skin; aggressive razor for tough skin and the closest shave) and the blade for your beard (sharper blades for heavier, coarser beards.

Figuring out how mild or aggressive a razor to get can take time and experience. Many of us have bought different razors to find what worked best for us, and your preference may change as your technique develops. If you have yet to buy a razor and your budget will allow, I would recommend an adjustable such as the Merkur Progress. This razor adjusts from quite mild to very aggressive, which could save you from buying many razors to find the right one.

As far as blades go, I recommend starting with a blade that has wide acceptance and sticking with that kind of blade at least a couple of months until you develop your basic shaving technique. If you buy a blade sampler pack and start switching out blades before you work out your basic technique, you won't be able to distinguish between a blade problem and a technique problem. You also want to keep variables to a minimum during early learning especially, or it will slow the learning process. Some blades that have very wide acceptance are Personna Med Prep ("For Hospital Use"), Astra, Crystal, and Red Pack Israeli Personnas.

I'm assuming that you are working on DE shaving, but other options are SE (single edge) razors (all older, vintage razors now) and vintage Schick Injectors.

You can save a lot of money on a brush by getting a boar brush. Both Semogue and Omega make excellent boar brushes, and they will work well for both face-lathering and bowl-lathering. Boar bristle absorbs water, so you soak the brush for a few minutes before use and the bristle becomes soft and flexible. Boar brushes need to break in to get to their best (when the tips split), so they get better with use. Other options are badger, synthetic, and horse hair brushes, though it starts getting more complicated and expensive when you move into this territory.

There are a LOT of good soaps and creams out there and any good vendor could make some recommendations based on what they carry.

Stick with us, ask questions, and let us know how you're doing!

- Murray
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Welcome to the forum. You're in good hands.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

Arief, thanks for stopping by SMF. Murray has covered it all, especially the part about the massive amount of information you'll find in SMF University. I wish you all the best, and I really hope you'll post often.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
malocchio

Post by malocchio »

Welcome Arief !...I think if you have read the above you have great advice already....Jakarta is a place most of us have not had the pleasure to visit,what kind of traditional shaving goods do your shops there carry ?...Good luck and good shaving !
beshaved

Post by beshaved »

Thank you all for the most warming welcome.

I bought a Micro Touch One. From what I heard, this is a mild razor.
I still use Dorco blades that come with it.

Yesterday I bought 4 packs of different brands of blades.
Will try them out as soon as Dorco blades run out.
I will be honing my skill with Dorco first.

Wet shaving is not a huge thing in Jakarta, Indonesia.
I have to buy the razor from an online shop.
Blades are not easily available. I have to search around town to find some.

Will be lurking around this forum and learn from all masters here.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Arief -

I'm pretty sure the Micro Touch One is a repackaged Weishi, which is a very decent and very mild razor. It is what I started with and I still use mild razors.

I believe the blades that come with it are the Dorco ST300. These are very forgiving blades and they work especially well with a lighter beard. They are less effective with a very heavy and/or coarse beard. Dorco ST301s are sharper and more effective with the latter, as are other brands.

When in doubt about the angle of the blade, rock the razor a tiny bit towards the dome (lifting the safety bar away from the skin). Also, be sure to use a light touch.

It sometimes takes a little time to get the feel of handling a traditional safety razor, but it will come, so stay with us!

- Murray
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

Welcome, Arief!
David

“Use any means to keep from being a genius, all means to become one.” John Cage
beshaved

Post by beshaved »

CMur12 wrote:Hi Arief -

I'm pretty sure the Micro Touch One is a repackaged Weishi, which is a very decent and very mild razor. It is what I started with and I still use mild razors.

I believe the blades that come with it are the Dorco ST300. These are very forgiving blades and they work especially well with a lighter beard. They are less effective with a very heavy and/or coarse beard. Dorco ST301s are sharper and more effective with the latter, as are other brands.

When in doubt about the angle of the blade, rock the razor a tiny bit towards the dome (lifting the safety bar away from the skin). Also, be sure to use a light touch.

It sometimes takes a little time to get the feel of handling a traditional safety razor, but it will come, so stay with us!

- Murray
It is Dorco ST300. I am learning with this setup until I am more comfortable holding a DE.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

That sounds good, Arief.

- Murray