Currency Taking a Pounding

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Currency Taking a Pounding

Post by M6Classic »

Any of you Americans planning a big-ticket purchase from Great Britain ought to keep an eye on the currency markets. The GBP is below US$1.40 this morning and who knows when the drop will turn around!

Buzz
nicodemus38

Re: Currency Taking a Pounding

Post by nicodemus38 »

really wont have any impact on purchasing things. Retailers aren't going to reduce the price of something they bought last week, and take any kind of loss on it just because the current daily exchange rate changes.

Love the idea though, but it wont impact anything.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

The Canadian $$ is getting "pounded" as much, although we've seen a tad rise in the exchange the past couple of days.

And of course, wouldn't you know just when we get a real serious break at the fuel pumps, the Ontario gov't decides to levy a new tax to take advantage of the lower prices. Oi, my head (and my pocketbook) hurts.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

nicodemus38 wrote:really wont have any impact on purchasing things. Retailers aren't going to reduce the price of something they bought last week, and take any kind of loss on it just because the current daily exchange rate changes.

Actually it will make a difference in at least two cases. One, if you are buying in GBP from a British retailer. Two, if you travel to great Britain to shop, which I recommend highly.

Buzz
owenm

Post by owenm »

M6Classic wrote:
nicodemus38 wrote:really wont have any impact on purchasing things. Retailers aren't going to reduce the price of something they bought last week, and take any kind of loss on it just because the current daily exchange rate changes.

Actually it will make a difference in at least two cases. One, if you are buying in GBP from a British retailer. Two, if you travel to great Britain to shop, which I recommend highly.

Buzz
I understand that Kent brushes are marked up heavily when they're imported to the US. According to my back of the envelope calculation, a BK4 would be around $70 (give or take) plus shipping once VAT is removed and the current exchange rate is taken into account...
Cheers,
Owen
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I have been shopping around for a new dishwasher, and several of those made in GB make all U.S. models look like junk. I suspect the producers are smaller operators and sell by quality. No U.S. retailers though. Might be some in Canada.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Ouchmychin wrote:I have been shopping around for a new dishwasher, and several of those made in GB make all U.S. models look like junk. I suspect the producers are smaller operators and sell by quality. No U.S. retailers though. Might be some in Canada.
Meile and Bosch both can be purchased in Canada. We have owned a Meile for around 8 or 9 years now ... it's been the best dishwasher we have ever owned by far.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Thanks Wendell. Both Bosch an Meile are also available in the U.S. I saw a site in the U.K. that really liked the Neff, which I had never heard of . I know of Meile's reputation from reading an appliance forum on gardenweb.com.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

jww wrote:
Ouchmychin wrote:I have been shopping around for a new dishwasher, and several of those made in GB make all U.S. models look like junk. I suspect the producers are smaller operators and sell by quality. No U.S. retailers though. Might be some in Canada.
Meile and Bosch both can be purchased in Canada. We have owned a Meile for around 8 or 9 years now ... it's been the best dishwasher we have ever owned by far.
Agree with respect to Meile. Ours came with a 10 year manufacturer's warranty to boot and they have their own repair people.
Bryan
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

jww wrote:The Canadian $$ is getting "pounded" as much, although we've seen a tad rise in the exchange the past couple of days.

And of course, wouldn't you know just when we get a real serious break at the fuel pumps, the Ontario gov't decides to levy a new tax to take advantage of the lower prices. Oi, my head (and my pocketbook) hurts.
I recently discovered the expanded line of offerings at an online vendor that appears to be in the Toronto area. Their excellent synthetic brushes remain on sale at very tempting prices in U$D, perhaps because of the exchange rate.

As for the price of gasoline, that's been a touchy subject for 42 years, since the energy crisis began that we're still in. Such discussion might be relegated to the Gentlemen's Parlor, but it can get ungentlemanly in a hurry.