Are we there yet?

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
brothers

Are we there yet?

Post by brothers »

When I was in high school I started out with a fat handle Tech that belonged to my dad, a Slim, a Schick Krona, a can of shaving cream and a pack of Gillette/Schick/Wilkinson Sword blades. Fast forward to right now, there are some soaps and creams that I'm using up one after another, an old 3 piece razor that gives perfect shaves every single day, a perfect and really inexpensive synthetic brush, an assortment of 6 or 7 brands of blades that give perfect shaves every single day, and a cooling and moisturizing aftershave splash that smells delightful to me when it goes on, but has no lasting fragrance. My SOTD only changes when the lathering product and the blade change due to rotation. I've got straight razors and can make my own shaving soap if I should ever use up what I have now. Regarding shaving, there's nothing that I want to change, and I won't need to spend another dime for ten years or so, if that is my choice. I look forward to tomorrow's shave more than ever, because I know it's going to turn out great. Not just the end result, but the preparation and the process. JimR, a fellow SMF member who used to post regularly once posed this question in more or less words: "What causes some members to discontinue posting? Is there a clearing at the end of the path?" Where are you on this path?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Re: Are we there yet?

Post by ShadowsDad »

I've been having perfect shaves for quite some time now and I'm more than satisfied what what I'm using for my shaves. While I may not post as often as I did in the past, I try to when someone needs help. But since my shaves simply can't get better, and I'm now making my own products, I've stopped looking for better. I have a cabinet full of soaps and such that are largely there just to stay in touch with what I once used. So I can't really chime in regarding new hardware and software. That leaves helping noobs when one shows up and as time permits. I've never been busier.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Me shut up? That would be a novelty.
Regards,
Squire
mike

Post by mike »

Squire, You remain a comforting connection between the "old days" and the present. You are "there" but still make the effort to contribute and keep alive the basic fact that this is " just shaving after all".
Mike

~ Beati Pacifici~
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

While I enjoy my trip to the old days, I have to say that my favorite razor is a Schick Hydro 5 which even I can use safely without attending the shaving university. No, it does not shave as close as a good DE blade, but I can shave safely in half the time and the experience is slick all the way. When I want to get to bbs, all I have to do is reach for one of the regulars and smear what's left of the lather on my face and polish away; no scrapes; no nicks; just pure pleasure. I still rotate through the regulars to keep whatever skills I have developed, but I don't get the pleasure you fellows do.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Thanks Mike, I plan on sticking around.
Regards,
Squire
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

After eight years of practice and still refining technique, I can say I'm past the discovery stage. That is except for going through "discovery" while being deposed by an ambulance chaser a few years ago.

I did, however, find a new combo this past week that made for a nice quickie touch-up:

Travel-size (75ml) tub of Proraso green loaded onto a Stirling 22mm brush, face lathered,
and a Bic Sensitive single blade disposable. Made for a DFS, plenty quick for me.

I once thought about the Schick Hydro 3, for a few minutes, but those are scarce to find now.

No 5-bladers for me, thank you.

As always, YMMV
pausted

Post by pausted »

I'm at the same point as many of you guys. I get a very good shave every morning using any number of razor/blade combinations. My technique is sound and I only change soap or cream when I feel like changing. I have enough shaving gear to last for years.

I have been regularly posting on the SOTD topic but think I'll stop. I expect that nobody really cares much about what I use to shave every day. :)

I still browse the forum every day and will continue to do so but I'll post when I have something to contribute. This is still the best shaving forum on the web.
Best regards,

Basil
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I dare not let my family know that I have essentially used the same razor, brush, blade and soap setup for several weeks. With the exception of travelling, I haven't changed up much of anything in the past year or so. Well, maybe just the cream/soap when I feel like a change.

Ssshhhhh ----- I am not ready to de-clutter my shave den yet. 8)
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Raze R. Blade

Post by Raze R. Blade »

brothers wrote:"What causes some members to discontinue posting? Is there a clearing at the end of the path?" Where are you on this path?
Perhaps it is because they have said all they have to say and learned enought to get consistently great shaves? Shaving is not terribly complicated, and is a skill readily mastered. People can have an intense interest and curiosity when investigating a newfound thing. Once numerous alternatives are explored and evaluated, a lot of guys simply use what they found to work best from then on. Indeed, there are many men who simply seek the first set of gear and products that work well and explore no further. They then have no reason to post or lurk. Other men become "wetshaving enthusiasts / hobbyists", which is really just another subculture of consumption. Even members of such a consumerist subculture can tire of buying and materialism. At that point, even they will stop posting. Then there are those individuals for whom life events intrude and temporarily or permanently divert their attention.

Where am I on this path? Close to the end of the forum participation path, but will always be on the traditional wetshaving path. I tried three razors, about 15 soaps and creams, and nearly 80+ blades. Having found numerous combinations and products that work great, I have learned all that is necessary to get great, affordable shaves and have said pretty much all I have to say. Most of the forums are now either filled with shills or thinly disguised marketing sites. I never did buy into the whole wetshaving subculture of consumption, and find that very annoying and off-putting. The near constant warfare within and between the various forums is just childish. The condescension towards other shaving methods (cartridge and electric) is also rather judgemental and off-putting. This place was cool and still is. Looking at the wetshaving scene overall, however, I find I have better things to do than continue to participate and so will move on. Perhaps that the real answer to your question?

And to go with that answer, here is a parting wish: I hope each and every one of you finds and does what makes you happy, both in shaving and in other aspects of life. The path does have a destination, and it is much better than a mere clearing.
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

I'm probably at the end of the posting road. Why? Mostly time. I also don't have much exciting to say. I slowly use up products I picked up in the acquisition/experimentation phase. I have a few nice things to finish up but find myself gravitating to basic stuff that is frankly uninteresting, but functional. I started traditional shaving because I was offended by the cost of cartridges. I became fascinated with the choices and tools. Now I'm back to shaving ... for less, a lot less.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

My posting is more limited now, though I still come here regularly. When I first came here, my aim was to get a good razor and brush. The slippery slope came with trying to find the perfect tools and supplies for me, so I experimented heavily during my first two or three years. After that, I started narrowing down my favorites and stocking up on supplies subject to reformulation or disappearance from the market.

I have sensitive skin, so I have chosen tools and expendables, and I have developed my technique, for my own special circumstances. What I use and how I use it is different from the majority, so I am often hesitant to make recommendations to others.

I miss our old friends who have moved on and away. I will continue to participate here for the foreseeable future, though I don't post as frequently as I once did.

- Murray
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

I learned so much early on by being a member of this forum and I'm grateful for the learning process. More often than not these days I use one of my Gillette adjustables be it a Fatboy, Slim or a long or short black handled. I always set it on "1" and usually use a vintage carbon blade. Brush is a cheap old badger/boar blend and soap is whatever I grab. The shave?.......almost perfect every time. I still like to stop in and catch up on what's going on here but my days of daily posting are long gone.
Rich