popularity of things

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
nicodemus38

popularity of things

Post by nicodemus38 »

Its something that has bothered me for years really, for years. The popularity of things in the realm of shaving.

Its common for newbies to be told that they should get themselves off the bat, a specific list of razors to use. Namely razors such as,

Slim
Fat Tech
Krona

That have a niche following and a sufficiently high price for QUALITY usable razors on the ebay. Sure you CAN find a slim for 10 dollars now and then, but nothing ive seen that sells for under 20 is worth the risk. I don't mean finish issues, I mean functional safety issues.

At the same time a lot of fellows who advocate the purchase of a niche razor normally make their hobby past time selling these niche razors, and often enough DONT FIND THE RAZOR worth using themselves.

And at the same time, most of the people who advocate the use of a niche razor for the newbie would even trade you a good user grade slim for a stick of Palmolive.
brothers

Re: popularity of things

Post by brothers »

Tom, you have a talent for posting some provocative discussion topics. Well done sir! :) I'll take a day or two to reflect before I post my response.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

There is no point of "discussion" if the topic is easy, or if the topic is loved. To create genuine discussion one must break with convention. And I work with a group of people whos greatest collective accomplishment is being able to cut their own meat. I have to much unused brain time to unleash.

The issue is that the tech and slim for example are the most recommended entry level razors on most forums. They have a good following of sorts. Massive recommendations for new shavers to get. To learn technique and to learn aggression.
"yes timmy, get a tech or a slim and youll see what shaving is about. and youll learn what your face likes".

I see ads for people selling them in starter kits for new shavers on forums. but the funny thing is that most people wont touch a slim or a tech for themselves. They no longer have the prestige factor and most in the "upper" levels of most forums wont be caught dead using one. But they will buy 12 a year at yardsales and sell them at 3 times the cost to do newbies a favor.

I tried trading off 2 slims for a single puck of soap or a couple tucks of blades. No takers, so I ended up trading a near mint slim in the 30 dollar ebay range for a decent 46-47 aristocrat in the 40-50 ebay range. Lovely razors, every one is happy.
With that 46-47 aristocrat, the so called most aggressive of the tto aristocrats, I got a perfect shave with a VDH blade this morning. damn good shave.

But yet my good user grade slim and a near mint flare has no interest to the world. Sure id like a solid metal tech for them..
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Im not a razor person, but it sounds like youre more annoyed by the people selling stuff on the forums masking themselves as being 'helpful' than you are about anything else :D :D :D

In any shave store a razor is going to cost >$20+ As for popularity, popular with whom???? In my circle, merkur is the beez neez and circles once or twice removed, plain 'ol gillette super speeds are what rocks the world.

Anyway, personally i think youre making mountains out of molehills

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

Tom. I disagree with you.

I still own my dad's 1930's Tech. That's my first razor and my late brother's, when we started having whiskers. The first razor I bought new is another one I still own, a Slim. My third razor is the Schick Krona, I think it was purchased at the same corner drugstore as the Slim, and that's the one I used exclusively until it literally wore out and I retired it about the same time I joined SMF and found my fourth razor, a $2 Fatboy with case at a local flea market 8 years ago.

These are my little treasures, and they were good enough for my brother and me to start out on, and also my father, in the case of his Tech. I'm always happy to recommend these razors.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Tom, I haven't observed what you describe, either. We used to recommend vintage razors regularly when there were few new razors available. Now, I mostly see new razors recommended and we try to match the razor's characteristics to the user's needs. On the rare occasion, I have seen someone offer a vintage razor being recommended, but not under circumstances that aroused my suspicion.

The most frequently recommended vintage razor these days, per my recollection, is the Schick Krona. Next would probably be the Gillette Adjustables. While Techs and Super Speeds were recommended routinely when I first came here, they don't seem to get much mention now, possibly because more of today's wetshavers favor more aggressive razors.

- Murray
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

super speeds both flare and 1940s style get good love online still. still some gong for bizarrely high prices on ebay. Right now there are two different black handle flares in the original packages. ONe has been removed but its called NOS and has been bidded up to 75. The other is still sealed and is at 100.
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I'm with the cheap razors are recommended and available crowd. The last razor I bought at the recommendation of a member was a Schick Krona. I think it cost #12. I still see nice Kronas on ebay for about $15. Darned good razor too.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Raze R. Blade

Post by Raze R. Blade »

nicodemus38 wrote:Its something that has bothered me for years really, for years. The popularity of things in the realm of shaving.

Its common for newbies to be told that they should get themselves off the bat, a specific list of razors to use. Namely razors such as,

Slim
Fat Tech
Krona
It used to be that newbies would be told the Merkur 34C or the Edwin Jagger DE89 were the best razors to start with. They were advised to perfect their technique before using an adjustable razor, as the adjustable added another variable to the learning curve. It is very easy to find a 34C or DE89, they are new and not terribly expensive. They will also make a good razor to use for a lifetime. So why would the razors you listed above be preferred?
That have a niche following and a sufficiently high price for QUALITY usable razors on the ebay. Sure you CAN find a slim for 10 dollars now and then, but nothing ive seen that sells for under 20 is worth the risk. I don't mean finish issues, I mean functional safety issues.

At the same time a lot of fellows who advocate the purchase of a niche razor normally make their hobby past time selling these niche razors, and often enough DONT FIND THE RAZOR worth using themselves.
Oh ok, so that is why. Sounds like questionable advice to me bordering on conflict of interest. Newbies would be better off reading Leisureguy's Guide to Gourmet Shaving, or better yet Dr Shave's Book of Shaving from Executive Shaving. Or they could come here and ask.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

When I first came here, there were two main camps. There were those who used new Merkur razors and those who used vintage Gillettes (and some Schicks). We didn't have the range of new razors that we do now. (Edwin Jagger razors at that time were expensive items using refinished Merkur heads on custom handles.) So, vintage razors were recommended and used a lot. When Edwin Jagger and Muehle came out with their own razor head and inexpensive handles, the shift away from vintage DE razors started.

I, personally, was in the vintage Gillette camp because Merkur razors with fixed heads were just too aggressive for my sensitive skin (and they still are).

- Murray
Antique Hoosier

Post by Antique Hoosier »

CMur12 wrote:When I first came here, there were two main camps. There were those who used new Merkur razors and those who used vintage Gillettes (and some Schicks). We didn't have the range of new razors that we do now. (Edwin Jagger razors at that time were expensive items using refinished Merkur heads on custom handles.) So, vintage razors were recommended and used a lot. When Edwin Jagger and Muehle came out with their own razor head and inexpensive handles, the shift away from vintage DE razors started.

I, personally, was in the vintage Gillette camp because Merkur razors with fixed heads were just too aggressive for my sensitive skin (and they still are).

- Murray
That was my experience too starting in late 2006. The Paradox of Choice is the anthem of the day lately. I switched in 2007 to primarily straight razors so I avoided the DE Wars. The good ol days were indeed good. SMF is the closest forum to those days actually.
Mike
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I miss Bernard's "ahem"s from those days. Wish he were still active.
Ouchmychin (Pete)