Third DE shave complete...

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Austinoire

Third DE shave complete...

Post by Austinoire »

So, I started to see some stubble on my chin and decided to try my third wet shave. A friend's suggested I shave at night before bed, to which I agreed. It allows me a quiet environment, a relaxing state after my shower and no time constraints (rushing through the process) like the mornings.

I even added a twist by making a night of it by lighting up a Ghurka Master Blend cigar, prepared and ate dinner, watched "Person of Interest" and proceeded to shower. Luckily, my neighbor, whose a handyman reset my water heater for $20, so no more cold showers.

I dipped the razor into a mug of warm water as I showered, not the brush (it's a cheap synthetic one). I used a Personna blade (third use). After my shower, I lathered up with Tri-coastal White Birch and tobacco shaving butter. I had a better handle on how to apply this brushless farce of a cream, now after three shaves. I made three masterful, but measured passes: WTG, XTG, & ATG. I felt a little tug from the razor on the start of the last pass, so realized it was time for a new razor. But, I'm going to see if I can squeeze one more shave before retiring the blade.

I washed my face with warm water in the sink, then rinsed it with cold water under the shower spicket, and patted it dry. Not weepers, nicks or cuts. While not BBS, in three face shaves and two head shaves, the result is staggering compared to my old single blade BIC disposables, it was night and day. No irritation, rough patches, stray hairs, nothing. I also realized that in the summer my beard growth is less than the winter months, so the hair reduction aspect has been perfect for me. I finished off with a tea tree oil spray and then Kiss My Face Olive & Aloe lotion. It was sheer nirvana to have my face just be calm, and not recovering from the BICs butchering-it was what you'd desire before bed-peace.

So, while not perfect, I'd score it an 86. Still reading up on wet shaving, watching the videos and thinking through what steps to incorporate to make this work best for me, but dare I say it, I'm pleased after only three full shaves to look in the mirror and see my handiwork. I've dubbed this time for me as the "golden hour".

Would welcome any feedback
Look Ma, I'm wet shaving, I'm wet shaving...
brothers

Re: Third DE shave complete...

Post by brothers »

Success! :D
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

:D Nothing but smiles here!

I like to shave at night for precisely the same reasons you stated. I sleep better too with less friction between the pillow case and my face.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Another night shaver here.

It sounds like you're really getting it. Good work!

- Murray
pausted

Post by pausted »

Just a suggestion: If you felt tugging, I would recommend that you go ahead and change blades for the next shave rather than trying to get another shave from the old blade. DE blades are cheap. A sharp blade should give you a more successful result. Just sayin... :)
Best regards,

Basil
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Good catch pausted!

I meant to suggest that last night, now I can only agree. :-)

Austin, When a DE blade begins to tug, that's not a good sign for a future blood free shave. I've changed blades in mid shave. I'm not handsome, and what little I have in the way of looks I don't want scars to mar.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
malocchio

Post by malocchio »

Person of Interest is the only mainstream tv program I watch....Last season ,but I think they are headed towards a new program featuring Shaw and Root as a lovers hit squad ....Sad , it was a good show , Harold is fantastic...
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Night shaving -- +1 =D>
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?